Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Hon Hai's annual meeting, Chairman Terry Gou made a startling, albeit brief revelation about Apple's iPod plans.

Apple is about to unveil the next generation of iPod, the best-selling music player in the U.S., using a "none-touch" concept, Gou said without elaborating. --ChinaPost.com.tw

Hon Hai manufacturers Apple's iPods among other things. It is unclear what exactly "about to unveil" means, as the rest of the ChinaPost article discusses financial issues up to 5 years out. Also unclear is what exactly Gou meant by a "none-touch" concept, and whether his "next generation iPod" comments were in reference to a 6G iPod (a supposed incremental upgrade of the 5G) or to the rumored 'true' video iPod, or to another iPod model (Nano, Shuffle).

Hon Hai has recently received negative press regarding its iPod factory conditions, and it too soon to know how Apple's investigation into the matter will affect Hon Hai's contract to produce Apple's hardware.

Update: A recent Apple patent describing an audio interface for the iPod could be related to the "none-touch" concept. Patent described at Macsimum.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
verbose said:
Methinks Hon Hai is about to get Heave-Ho'd . . .

You may be right. First human-rights issues, and now they reveal Apple's future plans. And all in the space of a few days.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
"using a "none-touch" concept"

Translation: All your iPod are belong to us! ;)

Can't wait to see what it ends up looking like.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I can't wait for a new one...it's about time, the 5th gen really didn't impress me as being anything more than evolutional. Here's to hoping this one's revolutional in it's design, much like the 1st, 3rd, and mini were.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
maybe he was talking about the manufacturing process....maybe they are assembled by telekinesis....

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
maybe none-touch meant that it will NOT be touch screen... obviously the source is not a native English speaker... perhaps that's what they meant?

Also, this could be the same product as the recently rumoured NAND-based miniature mac?

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
thejadedmonkey said:
I can't wait for a new one...it's about time, the 5th gen really didn't impress me as being anything more than evolutional. Here's to hoping this one's revolutional in it's design, much like the 1st, 3rd, and mini were.

I agree with you opinions about the 1G 3G and mini being that way.

Sam43054

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2005
nano maybe,

Wont happen till Oct...

Heres why..

New U2 iPod Released :(

They just started the iPod with Mac discount

First iPod was in Oct of 2001, Oct 2001 to Oct 2006 is 5 years... They will make a big deal out of it being 5 years!!!! :D

Other side notes.....

Finish all Macs to intel before the new iPod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.