Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwistedGleam

Suspended
Sep 15, 2022
What is everyone in such a hurry for? Are you all holding onto production and design projects you can’t get done fast enough on the current lineup? My M1 Pro still blows my mind with performance every time I use it. I swear people just like to see bigger numbers for very little reason.

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
It does make one wonder... How often do these outlets make predictions based on what they think sound like reasonable timelines. They then wait for evidence of their predictions to appear in the pipelines, and when that evidence doesn't rear its head, they report a delay. No doubt it's also possible that they're reporting correctly about internal Apple plans that really were delayed. I wonder how an outlet like this would go about distinguishing those 2 scenarios.

Reactions: saintmac

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
What is everyone in such a hurry for? Are you all holding onto production and design projects you can’t get done fast enough on the current lineup? My M1 Pro still blows my mind with performance every time I use it. I swear people just like to see bigger numbers for very little reason.

Wi-Fi 6E for those of us in crowded wireless environments, HDMI 2.1 to power 120Hz TVs, UHS-III SD card reader for faster photo transfers.

Those would be great improvements that don’t even involve the Apple Silicon

Last edited:

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Why? So they could build even bigger heater bricks with even shorter battery with even less control over delivery delays, production issues, and margins?

I am not sure a yearly refresh, while "sexy" is necessary. How many people can *really* say their M1 Max MBPs are not sufficient? I have a 64GB M1 Max 16" and run some heavy workloads for personal and professional needs and it works great.

If I really need tons of compute or GPU or even I/O, a laptop will NEVER do the work and should never, it's just physics. Now the lack of progression on the Mac Pro maybe, perhaps, the valid grip here, but, even then, I am not overly impressed with the high end Mac Studio vs random x86 box story here (but it is more competitive for sure).

Intel's PR is great about posting new "crowns" they supposedly own that are sexy, but in terms of actual integration into usable mobile systems, uh, that's just not credible right now (esp per W perf).

Apple's reality distortion field also is superlative, but the machines are actually incredibly well executed as whole packages and aren't really showing a lot of age yet.

I'd rather see a lot more applications continue to use the power, memory bandwidth, and specialized cores that are there than just continue to scale cores that are already underutilized by most people.

The vast majority of people don't need refreshes every year. Intel's done a brilliant job of convincing people they need to upgrade at every tick, and especially every tock, but that's just not the reality anymore for anyone but a small niche.
My reason for not getting a M1 MBP was, they only support one external monitor. If it's just going to Qdoba and working from someplace that is not home, the built in screen is enough. Sometimes I like to use my laptop for an extra workstation for looking things up when I am at home and working. When I do that, I usually hook up two external screens. Because of this, I was putting off the upgrade and using my Studio Ultra 100% of the time. (I do have a M1 Mini that I use for random tasks and a 64 core 128 thread AMD Ubuntu box I use to test server code.)

Sad fact:
I am the one guy in the world that actually likes the touchbar.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
production price for M2 max would be high if Apple uses 3nm so early

Attachments

• 88F18BAE-7546-4E45-9A54-E173A8C7520F.jpeg
    88F18BAE-7546-4E45-9A54-E173A8C7520F.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
The vast majority of people aren’t upgrading every year. Timely updates are useful for people like me, who just had to buy a 15th month old laptop because my old one broke.
Beyond "shiny and sexy new hawtness", what's the actual feature gap here, though? I'd say this is a feature, not a bug, because you can get a pretty damn good deal on a machine that's still has an incredible amount of utility (don't tell me you bought an M1 at the prices they were released on! please!).

Less frequent updates when there isn't a substantial improvement to be made and it's really just sexier cases, higher straight-line speed numbers, or just more core count that aren't going to be used, is well, better for everyone.

I am very curious what people are thinking they need to do on their laptops that they need way higher clocks, more cores, or even more memory bandwidth for than doesn't exist. I'd say that mid-cycle or even late-cycle updaters are the "winners" here. They're getting machines that are still incredibly useful and modern at amazing prices. Unless just saying/telling others you have the newest is an actual feature/application, I can't really envision a credible one right now.

Hit up the Apple refurb store or a solid used supplier and you will get an even better deal!

Intentionally overly cynical take here to make a point (maybe just a bit): a shiny new video at a big deal keynote with industry bloggers with the biggest "innovation" is a switch to titanium for a case or something is not actually a feature unless you need to burn $2,000 more and don't know how to do it.

Last edited:

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
So you can get a pretty damn good deal on a machine that's still has an incredible amount of utility.

Less frequent updates when there isn't a substantial improvement to be made and it's really just sexier cases, higher straight-line speed numbers, or just more core count that aren't going to be used, is well, better for everyone.

I am very curious what people are thinking they need to do on their laptops that they need way higher clocks, more cores, or even more memory bandwidth for than doesn't exist. I'd say that mid-cycle or even late-cycle updaters are the "winners" here. They're getting machines that are still incredibly useful and modern at amazing prices. Unless just saying/telling others you have the newest is an actual feature/application, I can't really envision a credible one right now.

Hit up the Apple refurb store or a solid used supplier and you will get an even better deal!

The recent discounting of MacBook Pros is unusual in the scheme of things. Usually these devices stay full price until the new one is release.

Should also remember that your use case isn’t the same as everyone else. Some want more power or faster speeds. I wanted WiFi 6E since I live in a city and the 2.4ghz/5Ghz spectrum are crowded and the ability to hook up to 120hz TVs.

It feels like a lot of the people on this forum that are against more frequent updates just don’t want their machine to be a generation behind.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
There are a lot of people who miss the keynote/announce/fancy new marketing video buzz and need a way to burn another $5000 they didn't need to is all I can really think of.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
It was originally my assumption when Apple switched to their own silicon that their release cadence would ramp up dramatically. I think we all thought it would. And at the beginning, it did. However, things have seemingly slowed to a crawl since Apple completed their M1 rollout. What’s going on?

Edit - I’m going to eat my words a little. Maybe it just feels longer than it has actually been. M1 to M2 was about a year and a half-ish. The M1 Pro/Max to M2 Pro/Max will have been a year and a half-ish. That’s not too bad. Apple has got to stay competitive in performance though. AMD is bringing the heat!

AMD might be bringing the heat, but Apple is doing its best to avoid that! ;)

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Pushed so that the focus of the Spring event can be the Apple Reality introduction? Apple can easily sell people a new Mac Pro dev kit to go alongside it as the perfect platform to turbocharge xrOS development.

These notebooks can easily push to WWDC / autumn with how Apple are resting on their Silicon laurels waiting for the rest of the industry to play catch-up.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
The recent discounting of MacBook Pros is unusual in the scheme of things. Usually these devices stay full price until the new one is release.

Should also remember that your use case isn’t the same as everyone else. Some want more power or faster speeds. I wanted WiFi 6E since I live in a city and the 2.4ghz/5Ghz spectrum are crowded and the ability to hook up to 120hz TVs.

It feels like a lot of the people on this forum that are against more frequent updates just don’t want their machine to be a generation behind.
That's why I've asked for what actual, credible use cases exist. More power? Faster speeds? For what? What actual workloads are *actually* CPU, GPU, or even IO memory bound on the current highest end MBPs?

I have a 144Hz panel hung off my MBP M1 Max right now, USB-C and DP cables > HDMI.

WiFi 6E in a crowded area? Pull out a spectrum analyzer, if WiFi 6 isn't working for you because of actual RF issues, I highly doubt the 6GHz band is going to help *at all*, it's probably just as crowded. If WiFi 6 isn't fast enough or you're in a dirty RF area, there are TB3 interfaces and the MBPs already have plenty of bus bandwidth to drive a ton of data through up to 10Gb ethernet adapters.

In terms of actual workloads, there simply aren't many mobile work loads (anything beyond a niche) that an M1 Max 64GB won't handle quite competently. Would 128GB be better? Uh, I guess, sure. Would an even wider memory bus be better? Uh, I guess, sure. But, what, are 4 8k ProRes renders simultaneously not enough? Running more than 16 Postgres containers or something simultaneously (on your laptop?)? Need to continuously retrain a bunch of stable diffusion models or something? Uh, cool?

I'm more than open to the idea that (and it's reality) that my workload isn't what everyone's is, but, really, what am I missing that an update would allow that we don't get now that a simple USB-C and/or DP cable won't get you?

Some "nice to haves"? Sure. I can see that, I guess. But the moaning, complaining, and "Apple is so bad" pitchfork crowd still cannot articulate the actual problem here beyond "I want shiny, sexy new keynote and self-indulgent marketing videos this year!".

Last edited:

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Given that laptop sales figures are plummeting it's no wonder they decided to push M2 Pro/Max releases farther into the future.
They would like to milk their M1 series to the max instead of "rushing" a bit more expensive update into shrinking market and shrinking economy.

Also, perhaps, unless things change there as well, they might be focusing on desktop Macs this spring and rumored 15inch MBA?
Leaving MBP updates for summer WWDC?

Reactions: raybo

Maigrais

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I am a professional music video producer and music producer. I purchased M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16-inch because I was skeptical of performance. Now I regret and am waiting to pick up M2 Max.

Reactions: james2538
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.