Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
The available M1 and M2 chips are more than enough for 90% of the people. M2 Pro and Max are only necessary for 3D artists with big renders, video editors with lots of material etc.
Finally a rational voice, rather a curiosity in these fora

Reactions: giebe

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
That's why I've asked for what actual, credible use cases exist. More power? Faster speeds? For what? What actual workloads are *actually* CPU, GPU, or even IO memory bound on the current highest end MBPs?

I have a 144Hz panel hung off my MBP M1 Max right now, USB-C and DP cables > HDMI.

WiFi 6E in a crowded area? Pull out a spectrum analyzer, if WiFi 6 isn't working for you because of actual RF issues, I highly doubt the 6GHz band is going to help *at all*, it's probably just as crowded. If WiFi 6 isn't fast enough or you're in a dirty RF area, there are TB3 interfaces and the MBPs already have plenty of bus bandwidth to drive a ton of data through up to 10Gb ethernet adapters.

In terms of actual workloads, there simply aren't many mobile work loads (anything beyond a niche) that an M1 Max 64GB won't handle quite competently. Would 128GB be better? Uh, I guess, sure. Would an even wider memory bus be better? Uh, I guess, sure. But, what, are 4 8k ProRes renders simultaneously not enough? Running more than 16 Postgres containers or something simultaneously (on your laptop?)? Need to continuously retrain a bunch of stable diffusion models or something? Uh, cool?

I'm more than open to the idea that (and it's reality) that my workload isn't what everyone's is, but, really, what am I missing that an update would allow that we don't get now that a simple USB-C and/or DP cable won't get you?

Some "nice to haves"? Sure. I can see that, I guess. But the moaning, complaining, and "Apple is so bad" pitchfork crowd still cannot articulate the actual problem here beyond "I want shiny, sexy new keynote and self-indulgent marketing videos this year!".

Maybe we should just stop updating the MacBook Pro. We’ve apparently reached peak performance according to you.

Weird that an enthusiast forum has so many people that are against the idea of new technology coming out.

Here’s the wild part. If you are against them updating the MacBook Pro, you can just choose not to buy it!

Last edited:

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Maybe we should just stop updating the MacBook Pro. We’ve apparently reached peak performance according to you!

So weird that an enthusiast forum has so many people that are against the idea of new technology coming out.
Of those so called enthusiasts so many will swear that nobody needs more than 8GB of RAM on a Mac, thus trying to make excuses as to why Apple are still putting 8/256GB in their computers when they could have gone with 16/512 combo so easily.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
If it’s to use the 3nm process and have more performance or better battery (in laptops), and if it gives them enough time to fix their ray-tracing implementation in the GPU, it’s worth the wait.

Other than that, honestly, it will look really bad for the transition to Apple Silicon.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
AMD might be bringing the heat, but Apple is doing its best to avoid that! ;)
AMD made a statement at CES that the new chip enables 30 hours of laptop battery, while being 30% more powerful than M1 Max.

I’m extremely skeptical, because Apple leads the market and achieves 20 hours. I don’t know how AMD can make it even cooler.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
awww, this means I need to get my paint brushes and paint thinner out instead of using affinity design next year?
oh I'm typing this message with this MacBook Pro from 2012 using Monterey.
the Macbook M1 is playing music now.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and raybo

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Other than that, honestly, it will look really bad for the transition to Apple Silicon.
When did Apple announce that they'd be releasing a new Apple Silicon generation every year?
When did Apple promise that new MacBook Pros were coming this quarter?
When did Apple ever leave a Mac model for 18 months without an update?

(Ans: never, never, frequently).

A lot of this fuss is just "analysts" releasing monthly no-news-letters justifying why the tea leaves have moved since last month's no-news-letters. Plus, Apple is hardly the only one in the tech industry having issues at the moment.

Reactions: gusmula

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Should have stuck with Intel.

And have Mac minis, MacBook Airs and 13-inch MacBook Pros with horrendous integrated Intel graphics again? No thanks!

My reason for not getting a M1 MBP was, they only support one external monitor. If it's just going to Qdoba and working from someplace that is not home, the built in screen is enough. Sometimes I like to use my laptop for an extra workstation for looking things up when I am at home and working. When I do that, I usually hook up two external screens. Because of this, I was putting off the upgrade and using my Studio Ultra 100% of the time. (I do have a M1 Mini that I use for random tasks and a 64 core 128 thread AMD Ubuntu box I use to test server code.)

Lack of native support for a second monitor (when the 2020 2-port model with 8th Gen Intel even had that) is abysmal, but if you have a Mac Studio, maybe there's no need for it on a 13-inch M2 MacBook Pro? I have the M1 version and I love it.

Sad fact:
I am the one guy in the world that actually likes the touchbar.

I'm here with you! I don't like versions of it where the 'esc' key is part of the Touch Bar. And, the T1's OS is a little bit kludgy for my liking on those 2016 and 2017 Touch Bar MacBook Pros. But, give it to me on a 2019 Intel 16-inch or even an M1 or M2 13-inch, and I'm more than cool with it!

Reactions: RalfTheDog

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
It was originally my assumption when Apple switched to their own silicon that their release cadence would ramp up dramatically. I think we all thought it would. And at the beginning, it did. However, things have seemingly slowed to a crawl since Apple completed their M1 rollout. What’s going on?

Edit - I’m going to eat my words a little. Maybe it just feels longer than it has actually been. M1 to M2 was about a year and a half-ish. The M1 Pro/Max to M2 Pro/Max will have been a year and a half-ish. That’s not too bad. Apple has got to stay competitive in performance though. AMD is bringing the heat!

My assumption was that release cycles would be similar to what the iPad Pros had, i.e. roughly 18 months. That is indeed what we've seen for the M1 → M2, and as long as the M2 Pro ships around May, it's the same for that one as well.

This cadence of course also means that Mx chips occasionally skip a generation of Ax cores. E.g., the M1 is A14's, the M2 A15's, but the M3 could instead be A17's.

Reactions: Ruftzooi and Konigi

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
What is everyone in such a hurry for? Are you all holding onto production and design projects you can’t get done fast enough on the current lineup? My M1 Pro still blows my mind with performance every time I use it. I swear people just like to see bigger numbers for very little reason.
It doesn't help that sites like MacRumors have been telling people to not make purchases since at least October of certain Macs with M1 Pro processors. Thats where the issue is. I ignored this as the change from M1 to M2 wasn't a big deal, but if I had waited 4 months to make a purchase and then was told "eh maybe 2H 2023?" I'd be a bit annoyed.

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I hope it's not simply a delay but rather a bigger upgrade. As many have pointed out, if it's just the chip, that's not enough, and customers will complain.

Kazgarth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2020
AMD made a statement at CES that the new chip enables 30 hours of laptop battery, while being 30% more powerful than M1 Max.

I’m extremely skeptical, because Apple leads the market and achieves 20 hours. I don’t know how AMD can make it even cooler.
It is possible that 30 hours figure is based on a laptop with OLED display which uses way less energy than LCD/miniLED display.

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
It was never delayed since Apple never announced it 😂
Exactly. The new product is ready when it's ready. At least that was what Apple always explained us quite some years back. They seem to have started to listen to rumour-demands since, complying to release schedules etc. resulting in products which weren't really production ready. I've had two Macbook Pro's and an iMac with discrete GPU issues, issues which could have been prevented with better quality control and extended testing. Of course the issues occurred on my systems outside the recall windows.

So, not giving in to customer expectations sounds to me like good news. Please don't take any shortcuts, Apple, just deliver something that's really good. Please tell this your software teams as well. Meanwhile, I'll stick to my Intel i9 16" MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.