Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Next-generation Qi charging technology will incorporate Apple's MagSafe magnetic charging functionality, the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) announced today. Qi2 is a new unified wireless charging standard that is built on MagSafe charging technology supplied by Apple.

magsafe-charger-blue.jpg

Qi2 incorporates a Magnetic Power Profile, which means that devices that adopt Qi2 in the future will use the same MagSafe magnetic technology that is available in MagSafe devices created for the iPhone 12 and later.

The WPC says that the Magnetic Power Profile in Qi2 will make sure that phones and other battery-powered mobile products are perfectly aligned with chargers for improved energy efficiency and faster charging. Qi2 will allow for new accessories that would not be chargeable using existing flat surface-to-flat surface devices.

Faster charging will be available for some devices, and the updated standard will also "pave the way for significant future increases in wireless charging speeds."

The Qi2 standard will debut later this year, and it will replace the current Qi standard. Qi2 smartphones and chargers are expected to be available starting in the 2023 holiday season.

Article Link: Next-Generation Qi2 Wireless Charging Standard Embraces Apple's MagSafe for Universal Compatibility

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
I've had magnetic Qi chargers since I had my Nexus 4, that was what? 2014? I'm not sure what's really new about this other than they finally made it part of the standard. Which Im actually surprised its taken so long to do.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
It is difficult to get excited about magnetic charging when it so rarely works well with protective cases. For me, that is the fatal flaw. I'm not going to keep my $1200 USD iPhone 13 Pro Max in a flimsy case, much less in no case at all! So anything related to magnets in a no go for me...

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
It is difficult to get excited about magnetic charging when it so rarely works well with protective cases. For me, that is the fatal flaw. I'm not going to keep my $1200 USD iPhone 13 Pro Max in a flimsy case, much less in no case at all! So anything related to magnets in a no go for me...
You don't like Magsafe compatible cases? They exist.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
That's... interesting.

So apparently future Qi2 phones from other manufacturers could use Apple's MagSafe puck.

But I hope this doesn't signal the end of the USB-C port. I really want a USB-C port on my next iPhone.

🤔
It does. USBC is poop.

Actually I predict and want iPhone 15 regular edition will be portless, magsafe/qi2 only. Solid state buttons. Super sealed and durable.

iphone 15 pro with users potentially using prores/48mp and fancy video stuff, will get USBC for port speed.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Does Apple hold any patents on this tech? and if so, are they waving licensing fees?
If they donated the technology for a standard then the patents will go with that. This is how you innovate. You make something proprietary that improves on what we have and then you make it a standard for everybody and then you iterate and improve again. This is why I hate when people complain when Apple (or anybody) makes a non-standard technology that is better than what we have because it does not conform to the standard. Strict conformity to a standard means you never innovate.

USB-C is another example... we would not have USB-C without the Lightning port. In this case, the standard body got off their butts because Apple did Lightning and stopped waiting for USB-C. Apple also donated their innovations on Lightning to the USB-C standards body.

Last edited:

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
I've had magnetic Qi chargers since I had my Nexus 4, that was what? 2014? I'm not sure what's really new about this other than they finally made it part of the standard. Which Im actually surprised its taken so long to do.
To make a standard that requires magnets and normed placement is quite the feat. It, I guess, means all Qi2 charging stations, no matter if they’re practically stationary or movable, like in a car, inside a desk or just as a simple device next to your bed, if it requires magnets not only is it a whole lot more expensive in part but also production cost.
Apples MagSafe doesn’t use conventional magnets sourced from whom ever either.
Should the standard include magnet strength and pole orientation, that just adds to the cost.
Standards often come with a bittersweet flavour if something doesn’t support it, markets and manufacturers are somewhat forced to comply in order not to have themselves or their products seen as outdated. Requiring magnets alone is probably a huge hurdle for many, especially smaller, businesses.
So, at least for them, it was a good thing that they didn’t need to worry about a standard like this the past 8 years.

Reactions: addamas

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Until the efficiency and speed of wireless charging is comparable with wired charging it is a no go for me.
If the recommended 20W charger, charges at 15W, that's 75% efficient. That's up there with basic power supplies. I imagine this new Qi2 ups that efficienty further, 80-90% maybe.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I’d imaging it is hard to hold a patent for something as general as a wireless charger with magnets.
If it was patented we would have heard about it when the Apple Watch was first released.
*cough*

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yet another technology Apple didn’t invent but refined and made it a new standard.
Apples legacy in a nutshell.
That's a good thing! Not too many companies out there that stick with refining their products. I could be wrong, but I kinda suspect that there's contingent of users who like tech products that are more refined than not, while there are clearly those who much prefer to tinker and customize. In some years, Apple certainly has disappointed in the refinement department but overall they are probably still doing a good job in that area.

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
Probably a move by Apple to satisfy regulators but it’s still nice to see them opening something like MagSafe up to being an industry standard. They should have done the same with Lightning back in 2012.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The volume of adoption for one, not to mention Google never tried to make it a standard or keep it around for more than a couple of generations. It’s not even close when you compare the number of devices and accessories that are compatible.

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Interesting indeed. I'll be patiently waiting for the speed to be at least close to wired 25W while the heat greatly diminished. IIRC, less heat means less power loss and more efficient energy, thus greener.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.