Next iMac - How much faster?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johnhackworth, Sep 4, 2012.

1. johnhackworth macrumors member

Hi,

Leaving aside any other benefits which will be available on an updated iMac what is the likely speedbump which we can expect?

Best Regards,

Julian.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would expect the next iMac, to be a little bit faster since the Ivy Bridge processors will be used for the upgrade. It's likely that you could see something that is significantly faster.

3. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

What? First you say "a little faster" then you say "significantly faster." :confused:

If the new iMacs a released anytime soon the top of the line model will very likely have an i7-3770 which is the same clock speed as the current TOTL model with an i7-2600. Processor-wise, I expect the new iMacs wll be about 10% faster, but throw newer GPUs, USB 3, and SSDs into the mix and the difference could be much more significant depending on what you use your computer for.

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Before I started typing this reply I remembered I have "dictate" now. So I dictated a reply. The hard thing about dictating to your computer is that your stream of thoughts is not exactly coherent. Therefore, the reply I wrote out is probably the most useless post I've made on these forums since I started around 7 years ago.

Please forgive me and understand that the new iMacs will be a bit faster, but super fast versus the old ones.

6. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

No. (Or at least I hope not...)

7. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

The bigger speed bump will be in the GPUs, not CPUs.

8. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

That's what she said?

9. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

15,6 mph

serious, this^^

10. Bargle macrumors regular

Ivy bridge is about 10% faster. If you look at the SSD options on MBr, apple actually hadn't lowered the price point, they just added a 128, 512 and 780GB option. A 256 SSD will make any new iMac more expensive. A 2011 model or 2012. With apple heavily investing in cloud storage, massive hard drives aren't worth the money.

Graphics on the high end 27" won't have a noticable effect. Looking at benchmarks there aren't many cards better than the 6980M. You'd be looking at a 10fps improvement if apple went all out. Not a big deal because the current card already plays games on high/ultra. Your eye can't tell the difference betwee 40 and 30fps.

There is a possibility of bigger gpu improvement however on the 21.5" iMac. 512 MB of VRAM is showing it's age as is the 6770M card. An upgrade to what the MBPr uses--the 650M nvidia with 1G VRAM only shows about a 10fps improvement as well, but the 10fps is the difference between medium settings and high with these mid tier cards in new games. but there is always the chance they give the 21.5" a much better card, though doubtful.

The only real reaso to wait is if you hate iMac screens and want a matte option.

11. karpich1 macrumors regular

:Sigh:

It's a myth that the human eye only sees up to 30fps

But even if you refuse to accept that
    An average of 30fps means that a chunk of the time you're going lower... sometimes substantially. So if you can average 40fps, then you can prevent the screen from going all choppy more often... and keep it closer to your idea 30fps.

On FILM, yes... you typically don't notice when things are in the 25-30fps range... but that's because the film's tend to store the blurred image. And in slow / minute motion, even on a PC it's fine. But when you have fast-moving stuff without blur built into each frame... your brain really notices it.

In any case, as a gamer for many many years... I can tell you... this 30fps thing is an old myth.

12. Bargle macrumors regular

Sure there is a difference. But the question is "how much faster". The answer is 10-15 FPS from the GPU and 10% for the cpu.

Combined with less reflective screen lamintation design from removing a layer of glass, it's a nice spec bump for the imacs. But not anything they are going to make a key-note address about.

13. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I gotta say I'm very impressed with my mid 2010 27", speed-wise. It has 16gb ram and a 2.8GHz i5 cpu with a regular hard drive (not SSD). The GPU is a 1GB Radeon HD 5750 and has done a fine job when I needed it to perform. Having said that, I'm ready for a SSD and a significant bump in GPU performance. Coming from this machine, the expected spec bumps in the 2012 iMac will definitely fit the bill for me.
    At any rate the question of "how much faster" is going to be relative. The answer is that yes, it will be faster.