Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
So I'm sure a lot of you have heard by now. There's going to be a sep 12 apple event and it was confirmed by all things D here : http://allthingsd.com/20120730/apple-stocks-up-on-components-for-fall-product-launch/
when all things D reports it, it's pretty ,much a confirmation. Since we also had rumors earlier regarding the iMac to be release in the fall by Kou here: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/2...ed-imacs-reportedly-due-in-september-october/
Is it safe to assume we'll see our beloved 2012 iMac in that event ? I know its illogical for apple to release iOS devices with macs but apple hasn't been working logically lately. So I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Most likely a silent refresh sometime between now and October 13th 2013. Any event is only likely to be for a major redesign like Retina and I think it's too early for that.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
There's not going to be an event for the iMac ever again. Period. There hasn't been an event where they mention the iMac for ages.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Most likely a silent refresh sometime between now and October 13th 2013. Any event is only likely to be for a major redesign like Retina and I think it's too early for that.

How come there's going to be a new design why would they make it silent ? "screen lamination issues" hellooo!:eek: the Kou article pointed out screen lamination issues. Now why would they have problem with screens since they've been shipping the same screen since 2009. That same article also pointed out that they would potentially have done by late September. If it was going to be the same design why would they just release it now? All the components are avaliable? Idk about you guys but this new event looks very promising. I'm very very confinement well see what's going on with the iMacs by then.

----------

There's not going to be an event for the iMac ever again. Period. There hasn't been an event where they mention the iMac for ages.

Because there hasn't been one that doesn't mean that there won't be an event I'm pretty sure apple wanted to release the iMac by July but since the screen lamination issues which mean well see a new screen potentially a new design. That's what's taking so long. And what better place to showcase the new iMac in an apple event. I say Mac minis and iMac on sep 12.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

October of 2009 is "ages" ago?

The reason that there has not been an event with the iMac is because the iMac has not gotten a complete overhaul.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
How come there's going to be a new design why would they make it silent ? "screen lamination issues" hellooo!:eek: the Kou article pointed out screen lamination issues. Now why would they have problem with screens since they've been shipping the same screen since 2009. That same article also pointed out that they would potentially have done by late September. If it was going to be the same design why would they just release it now? All the components are avaliable? Idk about you guys but this new event looks very promising. I'm very very confinement well see what's going on with the iMacs by then.

I think he meant that an event for an iMac is only for a huge redesign. But this event will surely be about iOS and iPhone. iMac will likely get a silent speed bump this year. If it happens.

applefiend95

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
when ever apple decides to release the new iMacs, it will resemble the macbook pro family. the iMacs will all be upgraded to ivy bridge with USB 3.0 and perhaps feature a BTO option for matte display. furthermore, there will be a new iMac just like the macbook pro which will feature retina display and have no ODD and run on flash storage like 512 standard or something. also, iMac may be the first to feature i7 across all models.... just a thought

edit: i hope the prices are also reduced by that same $100 as with the macbooks

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
when ever apple decides to release the new iMacs, it will resemble the macbook pro family. the iMacs will all be upgraded to ivy bridge with USB 3.0 and perhaps feature a BTO option for matte display. furthermore, there will be a new iMac just like the macbook pro which will feature retina display and have no ODD and run on flash storage like 512 standard or something. also, iMac may be the first to feature i7 across all models.... just a thought

edit: i hope the prices are also reduced by that same $100 as with the macbooks

Maybe they'll include a keyboard and trackpad built in, too...and make it fold in half...and include a battery...and make the screen 15 inches.

Just what I thought of when you said "resemble the MacBook Pro family," haha.

applefiend95

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Maybe they'll include a keyboard and trackpad built in, too...and make it fold in half...and include a battery...and make the screen 15 inches.

Just what I thought of when you said "resemble the MacBook Pro family," haha.

of course you did -_- what i meant was that the four models of the iMac will receive the spec bump mentioned and a 5th model will be introduced featuring retina display, flash, no ODD, etc.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
of course you did -_- what i meant was that the four models of the iMac will receive the spec bump mentioned and a 5th model will be introduced featuring retina display, flash, no ODD, etc.

Yeah, no worries, you were pretty clear. That was just me being stupid and thinking that was funny...

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
That's what I meant.

I'm pretty sure if there's screen lamination issues is because they are putting a new screen so if they are putting a new screen them there would be major redisign hence the event would be appropriate to showcase an all new iMac.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
It's a shame the iMac, the computer that basically helped get Apple back on track all those years ago is been treated this way.

IMO Sept 12 will be the iPhone or iPad 7" launch. Really hoping the rumors about the update iMac being ramped up in August for a release in a few weeks (before Sept 12) comes true.

ETA - I agree the next update is likely to follow what they did with the MBP but maybe we'll finally get a Matte screen option, which could be the reason for the hold up and why they weren't released in June or July.

Apple is NOT getting any more of my money until the iMac is updated to Ivy Bridge spec!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Everyone always lumps in the 50 things they want Apple to announce all in one event. These days Apple events put the focus on one product/topic. Sometimes they cover two. WWDC is one of the bigger ones and it still only covered 3 major topics.

An iPhone, iPad Mini, iOS 6, and iMac event just doesn't fit Apple's style.

I think that the iMac will be released as a website-only update. Even the 2011 Macbook Pro which was pretty major as far as spec bumps go (quad core processors and Thunderbolt) only got a website mention.

Going with laminated screens doesn't necessarily mean a major new design. They've been using laminated screens for a while now on the iPhone (and I think the iPod touch as well).

It just means that the glass and LCD are bonded together, rather than separate pieces with a possible air gap between them. Seems like a smart way to solve the dust issues people mention here.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I'm new to the iMac world since I just got my first one 9 months ago. In the past when a new model or refresh was imminent, were there leaked photos and spec reports before it's release? The reason that I ask is that I really have not seen or heard much info about what the future iMac might bring. There always seems to be quite a few leaked photos of iPhone parts and mockups when a new one is about to be released. I'm thinking that a new iMac release date won't be in September, but some time after that. Of course, who really knows what Apple's plans might actually be.

HenryJobs

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
The September release is for the iPhone, the iPad mini and hopefully a thinner, cooler (tempurature wise) IGZO iPad. And probably updates to all iPod lines so it's going to be a loaded event.

Apple will want to give those devices some time to shine even though the iMac is such small news by comparison.

I predict that the iMac will drop with the 13" rMBP in early or mid October with Ivy Bridge, USB 3, better SSD options, no retina, but I think they will use the same display technology thy eliminates the cover glass and reduces glare, which woul be really nice.

What are your thoughts about 32 GB of RAM max and/or a slightly thinner form factor?
Do you think they will drop the ODD?

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Everyone always lumps in the 50 things they want Apple to announce all in one event. These days Apple events put the focus on one product/topic. Sometimes they cover two. WWDC is one of the bigger ones and it still only covered 3 major topics.

An iPhone, iPad Mini, iOS 6, and iMac event just doesn't fit Apple's style.

I think that the iMac will be released as a website-only update. Even the 2011 Macbook Pro which was pretty major as far as spec bumps go (quad core processors and Thunderbolt) only got a website mention.

Going with laminated screens doesn't necessarily mean a major new design. They've been using laminated screens for a while now on the iPhone (and I think the iPod touch as well).

It just means that the glass and LCD are bonded together, rather than separate pieces with a possible air gap between them. Seems like a smart way to solve the dust issues people mention here.
They have been doing these screens since 2009 all the sudden lamination issues ? Think about it rationally. I think well see Mac minis and I macs then. They are definitely making a new design there have been many reports to with stating this therefore they will announce it at an even. If not then, then I don't spect the, this year. If there weren't going to re design they would have been out by now. I very confident, even if macs and iOS don't mix apple hasn't been doing logical stuff lately so I wouldn't be surprise by anything they would do this days. Just think about it for a second. Apple intended the iMacs to be done buy July but since those issues they have been force to wait and what better way to go with a boom on that event. Tim cook said it. That they have great products coming down the pipeline I think well see our 2012 iMac then.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
October of 2009 is "ages" ago?

The reason that there has not been an event with the iMac is because the iMac has not gotten a complete overhaul.

Current iPad is not a complete overhaul over iPad 2, it's just retina display + minor GPU bump. iPhone 4S is not totally radical compared to iPhone 4. Not much better than iMac spec bump.
But those are the spear tip of Apple sales, and they sell like crazy, so Apple give them their own events.

Let's face it, Apple could just ban MacPro and iMac production tomorrow and call it a day. They don't owe us nothing.

The majority of Apple user base could be easily satisfied with just a plain Macbook Air+iPhone+iPad combo. They can live as long as they have Retina and Cut The Rope.
They don't need top of the line GPU and huge screen anymore. So why bother? :rolleyes:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
They have been doing these screens since 2009 all the sudden lamination issues ? Think about it rationally. I think well see Mac minis and I macs then. They are definitely making a new design there have been many reports to with stating this therefore they will announce it at an even. If not then, then I don't spect the, this year. If there weren't going to re design they would have been out by now. I very confident, even if macs and iOS don't mix apple hasn't been doing logical stuff lately so I wouldn't be surprise by anything they would do this days. Just think about it for a second. Apple intended the iMacs to be done buy July but since those issues they have been force to wait and what better way to go with a boom on that event. Tim cook said it. That they have great products coming down the pipeline I think well see our 2012 iMac then.

They haven't been doing laminated iMac screens since 2009. Doing it with a 27" display is much different and more difficult than doing it with a 3.5" display.

Also note that they haven't done it with the iPad yet, it would probably be troublesome to do it on that size screen at such a high volume at this point. Doing it on the iMac this year might be more feasible because it is a lower volume product.

I just don't see Apple taking time in an event about two potentially huge selling devices, the iPhone and the iPad mini, to talk about the iMac. Either the iMac would take away from the iPhone/iPad announcement, or the iMac will be forgotten by the press because of the iPhone/iPad announcement that followed it.

Even the RMBP, which was a huge redesign, got only a few minutes stage time at Apple's longest keynote of the year. If that huge WWDC keynote only managed 3 topics, Macbooks, OSX, and iOS, then how do you expect them to squeeze that many things into one of their smaller product launch events?

It makes much more sense to give iMacs their own press time on a different week. It will get plenty of press and attention (if it's a major change) even if it doesn't get its own event or stagetime at another event.

I'm not trying to be negative, just don't get your hopes up. People always get their hopes up way too high for Apple's events. When they don't announce every one of the 20 things people wanted to see during a 1.5 hour keynote the forum threads are full of comments about how people are 'disappointed'.

Last edited:

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
They haven't been doing laminated iMac screens since 2009. Doing it with a 27" display is much different and more difficult than doing it with a 3.5" display.

Also note that they haven't done it with the iPad yet, it would probably be troublesome to do it on that size screen at such a high volume at this point. Doing it on the iMac this year might be more feasible because it is a lower volume product.

I just don't see Apple taking time in an event about two potentially huge selling devices, the iPhone and the iPad mini, to talk about the iMac. Either the iMac would take away from the iPhone/iPad announcement, or the iMac will be forgotten by the press because of the iPhone/iPad announcement that followed it.

Even the RMBP, which was a huge redesign, got only a few minutes stage time at Apple's longest keynote of the year. If that huge WWDC keynote only managed 3 topics, Macbooks, OSX, and iOS, then how do you expect them to squeeze that many things into one of their smaller product launch events?

It makes much more sense to give iMacs their own press time on a different week. It will get plenty of press and attention (if it's a major change) even if it doesn't get its own event or stagetime at another event.

I'm not trying to be negative, just don't get your hopes up. People always get their hopes up way too high for Apple's events. When they don't announce every one of the 20 things people wanted to see during a 1.5 hour keynote the forum threads are full of comments about how people are 'disappointed'.

You said it yourself. Apple hasn't been making laminated screens on the iMac therefore this is something new and also you said it yourself it is harder to make a 27 inch laminated screen hence the delay apple didn't want to release the iMacs in the fall but they are being forced to do so. If not then when are they gonna release ?two weeks after and take the front page off the iPhone ? I don't think so. Just think about it rationally and go read past iMac rumors you'll soon enough find out why I'm so certain they would do it then. And regarding time wise apple only offers two iMacs not three laptops there won't be much IOS6 stuff because they already talked about it on wwdc. They line up will go as fallows:
New iMacs/Mac minis 10 mins
New iPhone/iOS6 20 mins
IPad mini/iPods(not too much here since apple is clearly getting rid of those)20 mins
Theses are just aprox

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
You're all taking "screen laminating issues" from a single analyst as gospel, and basing an entire product revamp on that one statement. Who even knows if it's true. What do we really know? Nothing. Stop pretending. It doesn't make it any more-true.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
You're all taking "screen laminating issues" from a single analyst as gospel, and basing an entire product revamp on that one statement. Who even knows if it's true. What do we really know? Nothing. Stop pretending. It doesn't make it any more-true.

Just asked Jim dalrymple. If the iMac was on apples radar he reply "of course" dalrymple has been a very highly reliable source as noted by Mac rumors he doesn't say much but that's all I wanted to hear so you guys believe what you want I know im getting the 2012 iMac in September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.