Next iMac, Nehalem or something in between?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ks-man, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    #1
    Are most people expecting the next iMac to be the Nehalem processor (sounds like mid 2009) or is there likely to be one before that?
     
  2. bob vansteel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #2
    there might be a small update to the gpu with a tiny price drop at macworld, but the next major refresh probably won't arrive till mid 2009
     
  3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

    Dmac77

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Location:
    Michigan
    #3
    No offense, but I disagree. I think that we will see a Montevina iMac before Nehalem.

    To OP- No one but Steve really knows if there will be another iMac that comes before Nehalem.

    Don
     
  4. Soxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #4
    This sucks, I never know whether to wait or buy :(

    I know if I buy now I'll totally kick myself if something comes out before 2009 with an upgraded CPU and/or GPU, but if I don't buy and nothing comes I'll feel just as retarded cuz then I'll have lost more than 3 months and it'll still be 6 months from an upgrade. :(

    Is it really realistic to say that there won't be an iMac upgrade before mid-2009? Won't that put it wayyyyyy ahead of the current average?
     
  5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

    Dmac77

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Location:
    Michigan
    #5
    I don't think that it is realistic to say that there won't be an upgrade until mid 2009. It would be way to long. I say wait another month or two and if there isn't an upgrade go and get the current iMac. The current iMacs are wonderful machines and are very capable.

    Don
     
  6. Soxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #6
    Yeah, I was planning on buying at the end of September anyway, but if the average on the Buyer's Guide is anything to go by, it looks like Macworld would be the next upgrade if any?

    I play some games, so a GPU upgrade would be a huge deal for me.

    So you think I should wait a couple months?
     
  7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

    Dmac77

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Location:
    Michigan
    #7
    I'm not totally sure about a GPU upgrade, but I pretty sure that there will be a new iMac before Nehalem.

    (Stupid me tried to respond to the email I got):eek:

    Don
     
  8. bob vansteel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #8
    Why, the current iMacs CPU is practicly a Montevina chip....they are already very fast and have larger FSB like in Montevina....so the only diff. is power consumption which i don't really care about:p
     
  9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #9
    You realise that your problem is entirely self-inflicted? The problem is not whether Apple comes out with something new or not, the problem is that it will annoy you.

    The rule is: If you have the money now, and you think you would be happier with a new Mac in your home and the money gone from your wallet, and there is no event within the next fourteen days that makes updates likely, then buy it. Don't worry about upgrades. If you keep a new Mac for three years, it will be outdated more than two thirds of the time; it is inevitable.

    On the other hand, if you think that the current shipping model is not enough improvement from your current Mac for the money, then obviously you wait, until Apple ships something that is enough of an improvement. Compare the shipping Mac with your current one; don't compare it with something that might come up in the future.
     
  10. CWallace macrumors 603

    CWallace

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #10
    The Q9100 quad-core CPU will launch at the same price as the current X9100 CPU in the 3.06GHz iMac.

    As such, it is possible Apple will either offer it as a BTO option for an extra cost (which will be all profit) or, since I expect Intel will drop the price of the X9100, the 3.06GHz iMac will drop to $1999 and the Q9100 will become a $200 BTO option.
     
  11. Soxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #11
    Yeah I know, I understand that it's easy to get into the "waiting forever" mentality, but I'm a student, and something like this is a very considered purchase for me, it has to last a long time and will hurt my wallet.

    I honestly don't know how to get into the mindset of not caring if something got released a month or two after I bought my iMac that would've improved my experience/longevity of the product, a perfect example would be if they bumped up the GPU currently in there, since I'm a semi-gamer.

    Right now I have a PC, and while it pretty much outspecs the iMac I'd be buying (a relatively maxed out 24") I'm definitely ready to switch.

    So, I understand, but I guess I'm just trying to mine the experienced minds here who know far more about Apple and Macs than I do, on their opinion on whether they can see any upgrade in the next few months >.< And what that upgrade might be. There's a big difference to me in seeing my system be outdated in a month or two, or that same outdating in 8 months for example. :p

    Sure you can argue that it's not that big a deal in terms of longevity, but it's still a kick in the ass to know if you'd waited 30 days you could've gotten something XX% better for exactly the same price, whatever product you're looking at.

    I realise Apple are fickle and it's almost impossible to predict things like this, but before I go bust $2800 (The price in the UK) I figured it was worth an ask! :p
     
  12. bob vansteel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    #12
    heck...if you're pc outspecs the imac....turn it into a hackintosh until the nehalem iMacs arrive....i'd never pay so much if i had a pc that was better, with "Core i7" just around the corner...if I was you, i'd install osx86 on my pc and wait for an imac update that will trumph my pc.
     
  13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #13
    To answer the OP: 110% there'll be something in between and that'll be Montevina! Nehalem mobile only comes in Q2-Q3 2009 and thats far too long!

    MR Buyers Guide also corroborates!
     
  14. Soxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #14
    Well to afford the iMac I have to sell my PC, and because PC's devalue at the rate of knots, the longer I wait, the less money I make out of it, and potentially putting me in a position where I can't afford one anyway. I know you're probably saying "Then you can't afford to wait anyway!", but if I was going to wait I'd sell my good PC, go back to my old one and just twiddle my thumbs.

    I'm not interested in a Hackintosh at all :p I want the real deal! I've been procrastinating for over a year (Which is why I have this Windows PC that I hate btw :p)

    I'll probably be buying my iMac in September, just gonna bite the bullet, provided there's no inklings of an update by then!

    But yeah anyway, just to compile so I don't drag out this thread and your guys' time any longer:

    • There's a 50/50 chance of an update before 2009?
    • If there is an update before the middle of 09, it'll probably be a minor CPU upgrade, and less unlikely to be a GPU upgrade?
    • Any other advice? XD
     

Share This Page