Next iMac Version

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driftless, Sep 7, 2011.

1. driftless, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011

driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I am a little surprised not to see a thread on speculation on the next iMac, my apologies if I missed a thread. I looked at the Buyer's Guide and it looks like the iMac is currently mid-cycle. I was wondering what the speculation is for the next iMac whether there is going a major change or just the expected evolution to SSD and whatever the current Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor is currently available? I currently have a late '09 iMac and I am wondering if I should consider a Macbook Pro when they are redone in late '11 or in '12 and use it for my main computer or pick up an Air now for a portable device and upgrade the iMac when it makes sense. FWIW - I use my iMac for web development. Thanks, I am just over thinking my options.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are very few details of Ivy Bridge and AMD 7000M-series. Pretty much the only thing that is known is that the update is in March at the earliest, unless Apple gets IB before the public launch.

3. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

so then there wont be new imacs til next march ?
    Then it worth to buy an imac now, right?:eek:

4. 4zuresky macrumors member

If you need a computer, its always better to get it now because technology is a fast paced game. :)

5. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

What kinds of software do you use on a regualr basis. That will decide when uyou need to buy and what you need to buy.

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

under "buyersguide"

iMac

Recommendation
    Neutral - Mid-product cycle
    Last Release
    May 03, 2011
    Days Since Update
    128 (Avg = 229)

7. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

Yeah i dont really need it fir heavy programs photoshoping or anything for work
    Just my laptop is almost dead so if anyway i m byuing something i d like to try mac os :)

8. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

My 2008 MacBook is no longer up to my computing needs, so I've been thinking about an iMac (I like the idea of just one cable running onto my desk :p ). I know the current iMacs are easily capable of doing what I need: lots of word processing with PDFs and Evernote notes open at once, web development and video encoding. The only thing making me hesitate is the fact that the new Airs and Minis have Bluetooth 4, and I suspect the next revision of the iMac will have it too — is it a big deal? When it first emerged that the Airs and Minis had it I read on a couple of websites how this had potentially exciting applications, especially with iOS devices, but have heard nothing since.

Does anybody familiar with the matter know whether it's likely to be an important feature in the future?

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Please remove optical drive and offer matte option :)

10. Smacky macrumors 6502

The big question is will there be a new design? Will SSD become standard and the optical dive dropped? That would be worth the wait

11. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I am in a similar boat though I am really hoping for USB 3.0. I know, I know, thunderbolt is much faster, but I see USB 3.0 peripherals everywhere and no thunderbolt ones. I want the iMac I buy to last a long time and it isn't like a PC where I can pick up a USB 3.0 PCI Card.

I remember getting my first iPod and it requiring USB 2.0. I don't want to have to deal with that again in a few years for a peripheral I want; especially when the only solution will likely be a very pricy dongle if that is even possible.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Better design with the glass panel, ie. prevents dust from getting in. Please.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I still use my optical drive, although it is the only one in the house that gets used, I need one somewhere. And there is no space saving reason to leave it out. There won't be an iMac Air!

After switching to Lion, and leaving my apps running all the time, I really don't see how much I'd gain from an SSD. They still cost an arm and a leg at any reasonable capacity. Just give me lots of processor cores and a heaping pile of RAM.

Perhaps my "problem" is that my late 2009 iMac is doing just fine and I see no need for an upgrade. I know the features I really want will never occur. What I really want:

1. 30" display (taller, not wider) like the old 30" ACD.
    2. Spoil the beautiful lines by moving some USB ports and memory card reader slots to the front of the machine.
    3. Not enough USB ports, and make them USB 3 while you are at it.
    4. 3 year AppleCare should be standard on all products.
    5. User upgradable hard drives/SSDs.
    6. Bring back the sleep light.

14. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I agree almost entirely with this. Admittedly it's a very rare thing for me to use the optical drive but I bought this iMac to be "the ultimate" and my only machine, so I want it there for the occasions I do need it. I also agree in regards to SSD's, sure it'd be nice to have one but that's all it would be, nice. CPU and RAM are all I want, unfortunately I don't really have the money for a RAM upgrade after buying a $2600 machine :rolleyes:

The only thing I don't agree with is ports on the front, I'd rather have mine as they are, out of site. However, that's a purely personal thing and there are very clear benefits to having them on the front. If Apple found a way to put them on the front while still keeping them hidden then I'd be all for that! :D

15. washburn macrumors 6502

I think its def going to be redesigned, could even be using liquid metal?

Yellow tint hopefully fixed...

16. Gamoe macrumors regular

What more is there for the iMac? Faster CPU & GPU. More RAM. Higher capacity HDD or faster SSD. I don't think there's room for a radical redesign at this point, jut evolutionary upgrades.

17. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Optical Drive will never be dropped...
    Although it would be nice if it was.

18. Logos327 macrumors 6502

What is the point of a sleep light?

Sounds terrible for those of us who have computers in the bedroom.

19. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Agreed. It'd be nice to see that Apple hasn't lost its enthusiasm for desktops in the iPad era.

From what I've seen from Windows PCs lately, there isn't anything that's going to outshine the iMac design - wise, so Apple could go on with the current design for years before any Windoze box makers catch up, but that's not Apple's way of doing business.

Something ultra sleek, ultra thin would put my current iMac on eBay about two minutes after the announcement.

20. bushman4 macrumors 68000

New Sleek Design, with SSD standard, matte screen option for those that want it
    And of course, fIX THE YELLOW SCREEN PROBLEM.

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

After taking my iMac apart twice its evident how much room the superdrive is taking up. If removed they could fit in more powerful hardware and allow it more cooling room. Perhaps the 21" could have the same top end graphics as the 27" does now (or a lot closer to it anyway). With the extra internal space they could maybe give the internals a bit of a work over and have the hard drive user serviceable. That would be awesome. Its a pain in the butt having to go through the screen for everything (apart from RAM). For those who still need an DVD drive then you can easily sit an external on the base of the iMac or next to it, like we do with external hard drives

22. Smacky macrumors 6502

Touchscreen iMac
    Why else would they put Launchpad in Lion?

23. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Hoping that this is sarcasm.

24. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Why not turn your computer off when you're in bed or not using it for a prolonged period of time?

25. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Convenience really. And that doesn't answer the question of what the point of a sleep light is.

I need it for my MBP because I connect an external monitor, and for some reason Apple has decided there is no way to solely project the one external monitor without plugging it in, closing (and sleeping your MB/A/P) and waking it up with the lid down. Then I make sure my computer doesn't sleep during the night so the light doesn't drive me crazy.

I am just not sure what the functionality is on the desktop. If you have your computer set to sleep after 5 minutes, if you haven't touched your iMac in over that time, it is asleep. No reason to add more components. What am I missing?
    ----------------------------------------------------

I would be ok with the lack of a super drive as long as they include Remote Disk like the Airs (which I am sure they would do). I love the current aesthetic so I won't mind if they don't refresh the design.