Next ios 5 beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dima470, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dima470 macrumors regular

Dima470

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

where is the next ios 5 beta? Its been a while since one was released...

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Apple has it. I think they release every couple of weeks, so Friday is 14 days since Beta 4 if I'm not mistaken.

3. obamtl macrumors regular

There's no fast rule on when to expect the next iteration of iOS 5. 2 weeks however appears to be the typical waiting time, meaning we should expect a 5th beta (or possibly, though not likely, a gold version) in 2 days.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I wouldn't be upset if it was the GM copy

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

I would be, since it's obviously nowhere near ready yet and they still have two months to keep working on it.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yea, I'm guessing at least two more releases before the GM.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

Why? I am finding iOS 5 Beta 4 very close to being done. There are very few bugs left. The scrolling needs to be smoother etc.. but it is very functional.

8. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

the hell with functional! PERFECT IT that is the Apple mantra! I would rather they take their time and do it right!

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'm seeing functional in my daily use but reading not so much in the developer forums. I'll be happy with another release or better yet two.

10. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Definitely got work to do. Even in my normal daily usage, besides the obvious bugs such as apps crashing right on startup and having to reopen them for them to work, I still get bugs such as the top bar in Messages not showing up, or missing keyboards/navigation bars in other apps including native ones. Beta 4 is the best so far no question, but there's still plenty of work to be done.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Many performance fine tuning is being left out for the GM, because Apple doesn't want to fine tune any changes to the user end experience, that must be made to the core portions of iOS. That said, don't let the battery draining or slight performance hits concern you, Apple will "enable" these fixes in the GM. People seem to forget that this is beta software, thus complaints of battery and slow performance are irrevelant :rolleyes:

I would say maybe one more beta (beta 5) before the GM. There has been about 2 weeks between each beta, and the time window decreases as the GM draws closer. I predict beta 5 by this Friday or next, and the GM in mid-late August. Final version will be made public at the iTunes Music Event alongside new iTunes, iPods and whatever else they're introducing, and new iPhones start shipping a few weeks later.

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

The GM is the final version, so there's no point in releasing it until two weeks before the new iPhones ship (assuming they continue the tradition of releasing new phones and iOS versions at the same time).

13. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Does Apple release the GM version to the Dev's and still hold the release to the public or do the Dev's have to wait as well? I am not a Dev just wondering if they will see a GM and know it is the GM before the rest of us

14. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Developers get the GM and Apple releases it to the public soon after. A week usually or maybe longer.

15. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Duh, but if you remember last year, iOS 4.0 was out before the iPhone 4. I don't recall previous years, but I don't think that Apple has held back iOS particularly for an iPhone model. Thus, granted that the GM is timeline speaking only 4 weeks away max I would gather, it would be stupid to hold back the public release for another 4 weeks until the new iPhone hits doorsteps.

I acknwoledged the GM being the final version, but just because the GM is released to devs, doesn't mean it's finally released to the public. GM goes out a few days or weeks before it goes public, which means it's done, Apple is just playing the waiting game (or waiting for any brutal bugs, like when 4.2 was released and 4.2.1 was released instead as 4.2).

No. They will know when the GM is released when we all do. The GM is, with rare exception, the actual final retail software.

16. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Definitely NOT. That is not always the case.
    Final version can be sometimes different from GM.

17. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

^This
    The GM does not always = the final. There have been dual GM's before and most of the beta GM's still time bomb until you update to the "Final".

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

iOS GMs don't have any time bombs..

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

They're taking their time and I suspect the betas we're seeing are not the whole enchilada. SJ has to have more than we're seeing to blow our collective socks off come September. I'll bet they'll have a good bunch of features they just 'haven't turned on yet'.

20. ViPhone macrumors 6502

Devs will have the GM before the public, but not by much.

I still get bugs, including the super-annoying lack of a zoom function on my camera.

21. DrSD macrumors member

iOS5 Beta 4 has zoom on camera ,when taking photos just pinch and zoom!

cheers

22. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Lol, are you Steve Jobs? Who told you they are releasing it in 2 months?

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Beta 4 is nowhere near ready for prime time. All the betas have been superficially stable but when you scratch the surface there are many, many bugs still to be ironed out.
    I'd expect at least another 3 betas before a GM release, and possibly 4 more

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I just checked my updates on iTunes, and the Mashable app has been updated for iOS 5 compatibility.

It may well be closer than we think if apps are declaring publicly that their updates are to work with iOS 5.

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Given that devs cannot submit applications for the platform, iOS 5...