Next iPad Air - Pencil Compatible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DrJames, Dec 15, 2015.

1. DrJames macrumors member

What is the likelihood that the next iPad Air (whenever it'll be released) will be compatible with the Apple Pencil?
    Just curious... I'm due for a new tablet (desperately) and I'm thinking I'd wait because I really enjoy the Apple Pencil on the iPP.

2. FallenLegend macrumors member

FallenLegend

3. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Same here. I think soo many of us want this... I just don't see another selling point of an Air 3 in the near future if not the pencil. I reaaaaaally hope they'll give us one!

4. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The Apple Pencil is a product that should become the mainstream product with iPhones and iPads following the iPad Pro. However if I know Apple as well as I think I do, then the Apple Pencil is a product that will be only exclusive to the iPad Pro line.

5. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I would think so. Why wouldn't Apple want to sell a huge number of $100 accessories with every product? For that matter why wouldn't we expect it to make its way to MacBook's too? Maybe not every model but some.

Or for that matter the 27" Cinema display? Wouldn't an artist love to use the Pencil with that kind of real estate?

6. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

The iPad Air will get it for sure. Possibly the mini will as well, making it exclusively an iPad thing. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the mini didn't get it.

The iPhone will never get it, including the 6/6S Plus. There's just too much association with the PDA, and Microsoft. Apple sees the Pencil as an artists tool, and even the 6/S Plus isn't really large enough to do much in that respect.

7. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

The rumors of an Air in early 2016 have me a bit worried about my Pro. Love it but still undecided on the size. Part of me feels I'd prefer an Air with Pencil, but truthfully I've barely used my Air at all since getting the Pro.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Highly doubtful that the pencil will be supported by anything other than the iPP for the first two years...not going to happen.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I believe that Apple will keep the pencil exclusive to the Pro line.

10. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

This. Right now the Pencil is the single key differentiator between the Pro and the rest of the iPads. It'll stay with the Pro at least until Apple decides to add some other pro features exclusive to the iPad Pro (like a more advanced OS).

11. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I don't get the thinking that it'll stay exclusive to the pro. I feel like that's almost like saying they're going to keep multi-touch trackpads exclusive to the 15" MBP to differentiate it from the 13". The differentiation is the screen size and power. Besides, keeping it exclusive will only reduce the number of apps that support the Pencil, whereas the more users that have one give more reasons to develop for it.

12. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I think it will trickle down to the air in just a few months. Really don't see the selling point for another new air.

13. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Pro is the size factor not the pencil. They would be loosing selling truckloads of those apple pencils to ipad air 3 users.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Maybe...but by keeping it exclusive to the iPP for now, Apple hopes to drum up more interest that way.

The iPP is more than the larger size. At least, Apple would like that perception

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I'm sure it will work with Air 3. But I'm very happy with Wacom stylus.

16. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I would think the large screen, 4 gb ram, and 4 speakers are key differentiators. Since the pencil doesn't truly come with the iPad pro and it's not a necessity....I wouldn't call it a differentiator. It's just something nice to have if you would like to take notes or draw since it's not useful for other purposes.

17. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

This is the number one hint that it will be available for other iPads too. The fact that it doesn't ship with the IPP but is sold separately!

18. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

1. Apple doesn't like to give anything for free. If they can charge for something, they do.
    2. The iPP is already an expensive tablet. No need to raise the price even more by including the Pencil. Some people don't need the Pencil.
    3. Bundling the Pencil with the iPP would've made the Pencil look like a mandatory accessory, which is not.

19. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

I am inclined to think that all iPad line will get touch sensors enabling Pencil use.
    Its just too good opportunity to differentiate iPads from poor Androids for Apple to miss.

20. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Pencil may be exclusive for iPad pro .. The ones who could afford it and not those who look for cheaper version.

21. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

It will eventually, but I don't think it'll happen in 2016.

22. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

True why would any company risk one of their devices main selling points. Currently, the iPad pro seems to be selling very well. If Apple decides to only have the iPad pro and the mini in the future, that would not surprise me much either.

23. fanta88 macrumors 6502

They'll definitely bring it to the Air, but I'm doubtful about it happening if the rumors of a 1Q Air 3 are to be believed. If the Air sticks to the usual 3Q/4Q release schedule, then that's a bit more likely.

24. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I refuse to buy the Pro just because of the Pencil. It's just TOO BIG. They can't force the screen size down my throat in order to make me buy the pencil ;) I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out here seeing it this way, and apple knows this.
    Portability is an important factor for a tablet and it's severely limited with the pro.

So by NOT releasing an Air 3 with Pencil support, they actually loose a customer, not do they win an IPP customer... I think they'll understand that too.

25. FallenLegend macrumors member

FallenLegend

This /thread.