Next iPhone (after 3G) - List of Upcoming Features / Harware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markb06, Feb 20, 2009.

1. markb06 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ok, so we all know there is going to be a new iPhone in June, but what features are we all pulling our hair out to own, on our next fruit based phone?

I'd like to see a list, of which we could possibly send over to Apple to give them a notification of what the users want.

I love my iPhone to bits but the main feature missing for me is a decent camera, so here's my list:

1.) A decent 5MP Camera +, Also with Flash - Nothing annoys me more than being out with friends at night and not being able to take a decent picture.
    2.) Native MMS, again following on from this it, would be nice to be able to send pictures direct to other phone users, other than email, or paying for an App.
    3.) Turn By Turn Sat Nav with voice promts. Having GPS is great, but lets be honest we all mainly wanted it for the above feature.
    4.) Bluetooth and file sharing support between other cell phones.
    5.) Slightly thinner phone! Love the screen size but would like to see it thinner and have either ends taken down 1CM.

Thats my list...

Mark

2. svndmvn Guest

I'm pretty sure no one at Apple checks the forums.. there is, I suppose, a section on their site for this kind of things. These are all "features" everyone has been complaining for almost two years, nothing new, you forgot copy/paste and some other stuff, I'm sure. Also, it looks to me like other phones in the smartphone market would better suit your needs, what exactly do you like about the iPhone? Even if there is a new one coming in June/July it is almost a definite it will not have half the features you are requesting.

3. rball1979 macrumors regular

Ummm...what's your source? I doubt they'll be a new iphone for at least 18 months unless it's just a 32GB version of the current 3G....

4. markb06 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is Apple's renewal period for this product line, trust me, mid June you'll have a new iPhone

I love all the features the iPhone DOES have, i think it has the best browser, best photo browsing, best music player, best design, which is 10 Times better than any other phone.

But, i'm based in the UK and i had a 3MP camera with Flash nearly five years ago, this is a basic feature of all European Mobile Phones.

Come on Apple you could have the ultimate

5. svndmvn Guest

I live in Europe too, I know what the "standards" are, 3MPx maybe but you won't see 5+ anytime soon on an Apple phone. Believe me, 2MPx is plenty for the web, most free photosharing sites resize bigger pictures anyway. Flash is welcome, even if it won't get you stunning results anyway, even some Reflexes don't have built in flash and if you want good pics you better use an off-flash as well. I'd like to see what you consider a good sensored camera with a flash that can make it on an iPhone following Apple's aesthetics policy/philosophy.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

For the iPhone camera to get better, the Lens needs to be bigger.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Not happening. Megapixels are meaningless. Give it a better sensor.
    2. Never happening.
    3. Going to happen.
    4. Going to happen.
    5. No. No. No. Do you have any idea what that would do? Battery. You'd kill battery life to nothing.

8. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

So I definately think that a revision if the hardware will come it this June. It's been said by Cook that iPhone product cycle is June/July. Apple also wants to nab all the 1st gen iPhone users that will be having contracts expire. As for the features, a better camera requires more space, something which the iPhone doesn't have inside. MMS will not happen. It's called email. Send pics. Turn-by-turn gps will be a 3rd party app once apple relaxes enough. Better Bluetooth will be welcome for transfer to computers and phones, but there's always a reason these things were left out. None of the complaits of missing features are oversights on apples part. They had extensive discussion on what to include and what to leave off. The they wanted to make the best phone *possible*. That may not include every feature in the book bc they wanted to keep it elegant, hardware and software. Larger camera requires space, mms is redundant, copy/paste is too processor intensive, conflicts for file sharing across platforms, etc. Is the iPhone much thicker than 1 centimeter?! That's a lot of space to lose.
    I think they did make the best phone possible. Integration with my other toys is unmatched. Nowhere else can u control iTunes & apple tv with a single device or keep your contacs and events up to date on your computer as you change them on the phone. Mobile web browsing is spot-on; I can do 97% of my webbrowsing on my phone, even banking. Couldnt on my treo. Could bqrely get the treo to stay on without a freeze and restart for more than 12 hours. The other 3% I do at home when I get there. Photos are beautiful. Alwys get compliments when showing pics. Music player is a lttle lacking in intuition and pre-exsiting features (album shuffle), but it's a great none the less. The ease inwhich users can update the software is priceless. For other phones the manufacturer may never had updated it. You were stuck with the same stuff for eternity. +1 for upgrades.
    Apple changed the game and they have the large cell manufacturers shaking and running on their heels, even with only 1% of market share. But what other single device and it's only revision, in exactly 18 months of being on the market, has sold as many units and created the buzz that the iPhone has? Everyone is creating app stores for goodnes sake!! That was never out there. For the treo you had to go ok the web and cross you fingers that this didn't royally mess your phone. Palm had some apps on their site, but nothing native on the phone.
    As for my opinion on features, multicore processing, 16/32 gig models, copy/paste but only on the 3rd gen related to the updated processing (does the 3G have dual core?). Whatever the contents, some will be thrilled, some pissed, most happy that they hold the the greatest device engineered since the automobile.

9. svndmvn Guest

I agree, even though I think the copy/paste thing is more RAM dependent and less CPU intensive, of course I could be wrong. The thing is, it looks like it's possible through clippy and other jailbreak solutions, so it should be possible on the Edge and the 3g as well, once the Firmware gets there. I kind of think it's about getting the implementation right the first time, making it intuitive/ simple/ elegant and it could also be related to some safety possible issues? To me it would be a bit like having multitasking, you're never too cautious about it.

10. sychee macrumors member

Look at the new Windows Mobile 6.5 user-interface, it looks kind of cool with a nice background picture. How I wish I can setup wallpaper on my iPhone too. Hmmm, what's the point of having a wallpaper that barely fill up half the iPhone generous screen ??? Apple, listen and learn !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Y-GFVt00o

11. svndmvn Guest

You should check out apple's patents regarding the iphone's UI,just hack it if you want a background behind your apps too.

12. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Not to burst your bubble, but the reality of the hardware design / production cycle is that whatever the next generation phone is going to be is already probably completed and at least in final testing, if not having production prepared for it. This is especially true if it is being released in just over 3 months... Apple would need to start building it very shortly to have enough stock for the release-day demand.

By all means, keep telling Apple what you want as a consumer though. Use their feedback page to do so, try to get yourself included in their focus groups.

13. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I was going to say the same thing. No use telling apple what you want now, they have their minds made up, and are ready to start making them. Something like the iphone is thought of months in advance as to what they are going to do with it so they can prepare it for production.

14. rayward macrumors 68000

It has been posted on the main site that the next version of the iPhone has been leaving footprints all over San Francisco. Interestingly, the original iPhone showed up as "iPhone 1,1", the 3G model as "iPhone 1,2", but what people are seeing now is "iPhone 2,1".

This suggests more than a bump to 32GB, as the move to the 3G chip didn't warrant a change in the first integer. Hopefully it means a faster processor at least.

15. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

16. synagence macrumors 6502a

Metal back not going to happen ... they need plastic for radio transmission ... newer increased battery would be partially offset by higher performing hardware so battery life will never radically jump up.

17. fedup flyer macrumors regular

To you and all of those that cry about the camera on the phone. REMEMBER its a PHONE first. If you want a better resoultion camera then buy a CAMERA.

18. svndmvn Guest

still, this means nothing, we could be talking about some other product, a newton like tablet, running a more evolved iPhone OS possibly, there were prototypes of the MBAir made a year before its release if I'm not mistaking, and one's photos have been posted in this forum, since a member bought it on ebay and later exchanged it with Apple. Anyway, there's nothing demosntrating a revolutionary iPhone will be out in June or even this year or ever, if we're talking about something really different. There are not certainties apart from the next iPhone getting a 32GB chip, probably nothing more. The rumored pseudo-metallic backplate? Who knows.

19. aluren macrumors 65816

i think the new iphone will have quite a few new things like better cpu, more ram, new graphics chip, better screen resolution, new form factor, new software, upgraded OS, etc. apple knows that other touch phones are very slowly crawling up the iphone ladder and this is the perfect time to set the standards higher. if apple does not make the iphone significantly better, then they are making a HUGE mistake.

20. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Arguing megapixels is indeed useless for anything that can handle being blown up to A4 (arguably) but try loading one of the photos from your iPhone in iPhoto - it pixelates. You don't even need to zoom and it pixelates. So yes, a better rate of megapixels would be very very welcome. Of course, you were right in saying that a sensor would highly improve the iPhone's camera but unless Apple also increases the megapixel rate you will have a hard time blowing up the picture.

21. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Diggin' the new avatar. :D

Who is that character? You had the cartoon iteration of it before correct?

22. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

So, so true.

My suggestion would be to keep expectations low. That way if nothing really changes that excites you then no harm done right? And if something HUGE is announced you will be suprised and very excited. :D

23. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Geez, we all have ***** we want on the next iPhone. Consolidate threads maybe?

24. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Since none of us are executives of Apple i guess this will just be a want/wish list for the next iPhone.

What im hoping for:

- better battery life
    - metal back - the plastic 3g's suck
    - background processes
    - better processor
    - more RAM
    - copy/paste

25. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

I suspect we'll see the iPhone upgraded twice in 18 months. ;)