Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Sorry but the schedule has been reset. Anyone that thinks a June/July release is coming is a bit off their rocker. It will now be a fall/October release until something changes it. It's now timed so nobody gets screwed over. If you have an earlier release, all the people who upgraded in October will be bitching about it. Plus an October release finally puts Apples schedule back in check.

October. :)

Anyone who recently upgraded is locked in for 22 months before another upgrade is available so rather it's released in summer or fall makes no difference. Personally, I think we'll see a summer release.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
To be honest, I don't really think Apple cares about people that will be eligible or not eligible for an upgrade. They sell their devices for the $649 to all the carriers, and it's the carriers that choose to discount them for the 2-year contracts and guarantee your business (with data plans, et cetera) for the next 24 months.

There are always people "coming up" for an upgrade and always people "locked in" for a carrier contract.

I think they're going to launch it when it's ready, simple as that. Apple usually does tend to stick with a once-every-year timeline with any of their products - just look at the Macrumors Buying Guide history. But, was the 4S the oddball, or what?

I'm not sure I understand an October launch overall, since most of the kids are back in school and it's far enough away from the Holidays that you really wouldn't consider it a "Holiday Gift." Perhaps WWDC2012 would see the next launch, simply because it's a huge event, rather than the little whimper that was October this year.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Anyone who recently upgraded is locked in for 22 months before another upgrade is available so rather it's released in summer or fall makes no difference. Personally, I think we'll see a summer release.

I bought the 4S while "locked in" and I"ll buy the 6 while "locked in." Just b/c you're in contract doesn't mean you can't, in anyway, ever, get a new phone.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Fall.

And I bet they are happy they don't have to pass out all those water bottles for folks waiting in line in the heat. :)
(this time they passed out hot coffee).

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
People line up to buy the phone, holiday season or not.

This is the strongest argument against an October release. This phone sells and brings cash to Apple's pocket no matter what time of year it is released.

With that said, I have no idea. I am HOPING June/July.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

October would be my guess.

Rhullman

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
If I were to guess itd be that they are releasing it in spring. I would assume they wanted to release the iPhone 5 in spring, but they werent ready so they had to resort to making a better version of the 4 to hold people over.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If I were to guess itd be that they are releasing it in spring. I would assume they wanted to release the iPhone 5 in spring, but they werent ready so they had to resort to making a better version of the 4 to hold people over.

Why would they release one in spring? It doesn't make any sense ... will LTE chips be ready then? Will there be enough of the rumored new screen. For a spring release, production would have to start now - and components are not ready.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
There are many optimists in this thread. There are many people that are unapologetically wrong. They are one in the same.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I think it might be August - October announce - release.

But, tbh, I think they could release a new one every 4 months and have them sell like mad provided they have the stock available.

I for one will not be upgrading this time unless it is a major re-design as my 3GS to 4 to 4S was a bit too frequent of an upgrade cycle for me.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
with the decline of the ipod in sales, the october ipod event has become less of a big event, so I think this year's shift may be an indicator of a new cycle- laptops spring, software/OS/desktops summer, and iPhone/iOS fall

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Seeing how the 4s was not a totally new device I would expect the iPhone 5 to be released this coming summer.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Ill bet 100$ it will be released from June 2012-November 2012. Sometime between then.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
answer lies in the # of IPHONES Apple sells . When the 4S slows up Apple will start to consider the next IPHONE. Meanwhile, the 4S is doing excellent and has been released in several more countries just recently.
I wouldn't count on any early release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.