Next iPhone model will be the...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d0vr, Jun 18, 2011.

1. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I can't seem to find any articles suggesting a "iPhone 4G" title. Anyone want to link me, or discuss?

It seems like a logical evolution to me.

My reasons behind this is that I think apple will disappoint many with just an "S" release. The 3G was slow, the 3GS is still passable these days so I think saying that speed is the only thing we need to increase to create a new model would be a bad move.

Adding 4G and speed though, that would warrant a new model as far as I'm concerned :)

I also noticed that Telstra here in Australia has recently started implementing 4G. They've typically started upgrading things in time with Apple lately.

Anyway, food for thought.

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There are other hundreds of threads about this, it's been discussed to death. To answer your question, it'll be an iPhone 5, most likely without 4G connectivity due to its slow rollout and low coverage as well as incredible battery drain (at the moment)

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'll say it again.

My vote is for a naming scheme based on fruit.

"Hey, did you hear the iPhone Banana is coming out soon?"
    "Yes, but I'm waiting until the iPhone Kumquat next year"
    "Oh, you just bought the iPhone Kiwi, didn't you?"

4. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

I'd add that if it supports HSPA+ AT&T will still call it a 4G phone :rolleyes:

http://www.att.com/network/

5. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which is exactly why I was wondering if apple would just call it the 4G anyway. I'm sure it would make the companies who are bringing out 4G networks happy if it has 4G capability and 4G name. Great marketing there and we all know how much apple loves marketing.

Btw, who get's to decide which fruit is an upgrade of the last fruit name used? XD

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Is this a thread talking about the next name or if it will have 4G capability? Because the name doesn't matter. iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4G, iPhone HD, iPhone banana, of iPhone gamma ray. The name isn't anything but marketing. I wouldn't care what it's called as long as it is improved.

But as for 4G. Do you mean hspa+? Do you mean LTE? Do you mean WiMax? I'd give LTE a probability of 25% with hspa+ a probability of 80%. Oh yeah and WiMax coming in at a whopping 0% :p

Oh and I severely doubt it will be called 4G if it only adds hspa+

7. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

iPhone kiwi please lol

8. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha we have WiMax here in Perth :D

This post was me noticing that there are many blog posts talking about the name discussing 4S vs 5 and noticing I never really saw a mention of 4G.

It would be good if they included 4G though. There's a few things that if apple doesn't include then I'm probably going to start looking at other phones.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Apple won't start using 4G for a while still, and you just keyed in on why...

for years, the iPhone only used 1 technology for its wireless...GSM (though they used many different bands to support most countries). If they were to release a 4G phone now, when the technology is still all over the place, they'd have to make a huge phone to accommodate all the different technologies, or make specific phones for each network...something many think Apple is trying to go away from by making one phone support CDMA and GSM.

They'd need to support LTE for VZW, a different bandwidth of LTE for ATT's LTE that's coming next year, ATT's HSPA+ that they call 4G, and WiMax (like your area uses) to have the 4G work with every carrier they currently offer phones on. They won't deploy the feature until everyone can use it and the technologies for 4G are consolidated down to 1 or 2 technologies (probably 1, because otherwise they'd need 4 different kinds of cell tech built into each phone...that's a complicated chip).

10. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

This really made me :D. Great idea!

11. flipster macrumors 6502a

4S, and if it goes to another carry this year (it won't) it'd be Sprint. Why? Because AT&T is merging w/ T-Mobile next year, it'd be useless... Don't expect 4G and a redesign until next year..

I think they should just keep the exclusivity to Verizon and AT&T. If it goes tons of carries, then people will get bored of it fast. I know I would.

12. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Here in the UK ALL major carriers have the iPhone, don't see how it makes the phone any less boring. A few years ago only O2 had it and that sucked.

13. flipster macrumors 6502a

Because in the U.S., EVERYONE would have one if it went to all the carriers. That means more for Apple to update and improve on, more time we have to wait on them for everything, worse quality. The pricing for all the networks in the U.S. are about the same, tbh, actually, Verizon gives you unlimited data for $30 a month, ATT doesn't even do that. Plus Verizon and ATT are pretty much the best networks in the US coverage wise. Sprints 4G is a joke, T-Mobile blows, and don't even get me started with MetroPieceofSh**

14. ZDude23 macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S

I kept thinking it was going to be called the iPhone 5, I doubted that it would have 4G because AT&T is just getting their 4G network going. I heard in many places that it will not be called the iPhone 4G or iPhone 5 but it will be called the iPhone 4S (like iPhone 3GS). They said it is coming out later this year (sometime in fall) and the iPhone 5 would come out summer next year.

15. flipster macrumors 6502a

You hit the nail on the head :)

16. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Many people are calling the next generation handset the 4S because they believe Apple will only do a complete redesign every second year. However, I believe it is more likely that the next iPhone will be called the iPhone 5 no matter what it's features are. Apple won't use that title for next year's device because that will be the sixth generation iPhone, or iPhone 6.

The '4S' assumption comes from the fact that Apple called their 3rd gen phone the 3GS. However, I believe naming it the 3GS was an exception to correct the naming of the iPhone product line, not a rule that every other phone will have an 's' suffix to denote minor improvements. The 3GS was Apple's third iPhone but they couldn't call it the iPhone 3 because consumers might get confused which is more advanced the 3 or 3G. And they certainly couldn't call it the iPhone 4. So they chose to call it the 3GS.

We know Apple likes simplicity. If they wanted to shift to using the gen number as the iPhone model identifier, calling the successor to the 3G the 3GS freed them to call each successive model afterward the iPhone 4, 5, 6, etc...

Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It will be the iPhone 5.

The only reason the 3Gs was not called the "iPhone 3" was because it seems like a downgrade of the nomenclature after "iPhone 3G".

The "s" was only added to put Apple on track for a consecutive numbering scheme.

iPhone 5.

18. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Like I said in another thread.

The first phone was called the iphone.
    The 2nd gen phone was called the iphone 3G (they never had phone named iphone 2).
    The 3rd gen phone was called the iphone 3gs
    The 4th gen phone was called the iphone 4
    The next phone will be called the iphone 5, they cant call it the iphone 4s since its going to confuse people again and if they were go call it the iphone 4S they would have to skip over 5.

So they will just call it the iphone 5 and from here on the will just go with the next number in line.

19. alflavor macrumors regular

Hope it doesn't have 4G as in the UK here we won't get 4G networks until mid-late 2012 at the earliest! Also I think Apple will wait until the 6th iPhone to introduce this technology as battery drain will need fully addressing first.

20. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

True, isn't it amusing. :)

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

That's why I doubt the next iPhone will have 4G, not many countries even have it up and running, and lets face it, even without 4G the phone will sell incredibly well in countries that even have 4G running. And even when Apple do 'catch up' with 4G next year or so they can boast about how it's revolutionary and what not. :rolleyes:

22. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Someone want to link me so I can read what's already been discussed? I couldn't find any sorry.

23. PaulieORF macrumors regular

Not entirely true as far as LTE goes. One of the great things about LTE radios is they can change the frequency the radio uses via software, unlike 3G UMTS radios today, which can not change frequencies on the fly. So, if Apple uses the new CDMA/GSM Qualcomm chips in a new iPhone, they would then only need to make one model of iPhone to work with both AT&T and Verizon's 3G and LTE 4G networks.

24. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

...which probably means they could not, under data protection law here, call it "4G" without a lot of trouble. I can't see Apple wanting different names in different countries, so it won't happen.

Fact.

End of.

...Cue egg on face :eek:

25. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Next iPhone model will be the...

Next iPhone model will be the... bridge to iPhone 6, the one that should be one of Apples finest.

After my Antennagate special, I've lost some confidence in Apple and want to allow them another full year or so to recover.

Perhaps by iPhone 6 (or whatever that generation will be called) Apple will produce a good looking phone that can make calls, surf the web, and be back up to Apples normal level of expertise.

It's a good thing I'm a very patient waiter, and Android's got me covered with the sweet Galaxy S2 I have.

My GS2, in combination with my new MacBook Pro... and life is good :)