Next iPhone needs to be water resistant

dba415

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Being water resistant is huge.

The S5 got it right by bringing it to the masses.

All phones should be water resistant.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Well 2 years ago this topic was brought to discussion in the forum and many were opposed to the idea. Funny how things evolve.
Hopefully some kind of protection is given.
Sapphire screen plus liquid metal and water resistance will make the iPhone a very robust product. Hopefully something like the Casio G-Shock watches...iWatch?

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
But Apple probably make millions from replacements and repairs, so I wonder if they would want to.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ugh, just no.
Have you seen the Xperia? With all those fragile flappy port covers? Do you really want to have to pull a flap open with your nail every time you need to charge your phone? And then watch the flap deteriorate over a few months because it's a 5c piece of plastic attached to the phone by a 1c plastic hinge? :-/

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Ugh, just no.
Have you seen the Xperia? With all those fragile flappy port covers? Do you really want to have to pull a flap open with your nail every time you need to charge your phone? And then watch the flap deteriorate over a few months because it's a 5c piece of plastic attached to the phone by a 1c plastic hinge? :-/
don't think that's necessary - there's no reason the connectors can't be made waterproof without port covers - i'd be more worried about microphone/speakers quality if they were waterproof.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
theres a company called underwater audio who take iPod shuffles and are able to make them waterproof without changing the device itself. perhaps this process could be applied to iPhones.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
I can't think why Apple would want to do this when they make money out of people having to buy new phones because they got water on theirs.

I wish they would though, I always end up leaving my 5s at home when there is heavy rain.

demure84

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
What for? Apple often takes form over function to make their products more visually appealing. Remember the iPhone 4 antenna problem and the glass edges, front and back that were so easily damaged when the phone was dropped? It sure was the most beautiful phone ever made It's not their nature to plug up iPhone's jacks just so that you could go swimming with it.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Just curious if anyone here has damaged their iPhones when caught out in heavy rainstorm?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yes that would be awesome

----------

theres a company called underwater audio who take iPod shuffles and are able to make them waterproof without changing the device itself. perhaps this process could be applied to iPhones.
Don't they do that by just spraying It with some sh**

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.