Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that the next generation iPhone will use "in-cell" technology to make the screen thinner. In fact, they claim that mass production of the screens has already started.
Japanese liquid-crystal-display makers Sharp Corp. and Japan Display Inc.--a new company that combined three Japanese electronics makers' display units--as well as South Korea's LG Display Co. are currently mass producing panels for the next iPhone using so-called in-cell technology, the people said.
The technology integrates touch sensors into the LCD thereby removing an separate component layer just for the touch-screen. Aside from reduced thickness, it would also improve the image quality. The Wall Street Journal also claims it will help reduce Apple's costs by eliminating separate suppliers for each component.

Reports of Apple's interest in "in-cell" technology is not new with the first reports back in April. KGI Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo took a detailed look at the technology and suggested that the new iPhone could be at least 1.4mm slimmer than the iPhone 4S.

iphone_in_cell_thickness.jpg

While part of the thickness savings would come from the in-cell technology, Apple could also reduce the thickness of the battery and use a thinner metal back casing.

The next generation iPhone is widely expected to be launched this fall.

Article Link: Next iPhone to Have Thinner, Higher Quality Screen

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I hope they don't use metal for the back....I've grown used to the glass, but I suppose it would make for a more robust device....The only thing that will prevent me from doing my usual upgrade on release day is the screen..If Apple do not substantially increase the size, then I see little point in buying a replacement for my 4S which will happily run IOS6 anyway. The images look fine, and the thickness although not that much of an issue for me, anything that increases the quality of the device is a good thing. But, no screen hike=no upgrade.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I really hope the battery doesn't get smaller over making it "thinner". The iPhone is already thin, I just want improvement to battery life.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
So instead of using the extra space for an even bigger battery, apple goes for the "more thin" than the previous model crap, the classic apple way.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I don't care if they make it thicker. I just want a slightly bigger screen with the same ratio. I don't want to have to re program any if my apps.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I really hope the battery doesn't get smaller over making it "thinner". The iPhone is already thin, I just want improvement to battery life.

yeah i really wish they would just make it the same thickness, but increase the battery size.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
So instead of using the extra space for an even bigger battery, apple goes for the "more thin" than the previous model crap, the classic apple way.
The larger surface area on the battery would suggest that it can store a lot more charge. But more than likely that would be off-set by the corresponding increase in screen-size.

Haven't we seen mock-ups of the new iPhone design? Did anything suggest it was thinner? I don't recall it being noticeably thinner, but maybe that was an illusion brought on by its bigger size.

I do think it's important that the device be thinner if it is indeed substantially larger. Ideally the new phone should have close to or the same volume as the iPhone 4/4s.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone *really* need the iPhone to be thinner at this point? If it was any thinner, it would at least psychologically feel fragile. I think there's a balance between form and function with the slimness of the device, and Apple is already teetering on that edge.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Does anyone *really* need the iPhone to be thinner at this point? If it was any thinner, it would at least psychologically feel fragile. I think there's a balance between form and function with the slimness of the device, and Apple is already teetering on that edge.

People want the phone to be slim even in a case.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009

does an iPod Touch feel fragile to you? it does not to me, and it is substantially thinner than an iPhone

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005

Agreed - I'd actually take a tad thicker to get a battery life - that'd be a killer feature in this day and age.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
They better fill that extra space with more battery, if not, I'm jumping to the Razor Maxx... I've been using iPhones since they came out, I'm tired of my 4 always being dead, always...

jonasen

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

I totally agree, the phone shouldn't even be thinner than it is. You don't want the feeling that it might break in your pocket...

Keep going for the thinner components but let the battery take all the extra space I'd say...imagine a battery that lasts...two days? :)

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The larger surface area on the battery would suggest that it can store a lot more charge. But more than likely that would be off-set by the corresponding increase in screen-size.
Exactly that + don't forget the LTE, I really hope that apple for once to do something about where the competition fails, aka to make a phone with a good battery life + latest technology.

Haven't we seen mock-ups of the new iPhone design? Did anything suggest it was thinner? I don't recall it being noticeably thinner, but maybe that was an illusion brought on by its bigger size.

I do think it's important that the device be thinner if it is indeed substantially larger. Ideally the new phone should have close to or the same volume as the iPhone 4/4s.
What most people don't realize is that the iPhone doesn't need to be made bigger to get a larger screen in width and height, all they need to do is the width of the 3GS and the height of ip 4 then you can get a 4" to 4.3" screen, ofc the Bessel will get smaller.
Anyway I find it a bit hard to believe that apple will go for the 16.9 ratio since this is ********ing up the ecosystem + if they do it they will be stuck to that screen for 2 to 4 year, you know ecosystem, fragmentation etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.