Next iPhone update (v1.1.1) just adds WiFi iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobilehavoc, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Based on a hands-on of an iPhone running it in UK for the O2 launch..

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/hands-on-with-the-o2-iphone/

No other apps, and a few tweaks like the double tap home-button. What a load of crap. I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to add something major like chat, games, other widgets. :(

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please point out where Apple promised additional functionality of the iPhone.

3. cgray24 macrumors member

Like mentioned above you were never promised any update to anything, with the exception of the WiFi Store at the ipod release.

You might want to start trying to accept the possibility that maybe nothing major will ever be added to the iphone v1, just maintenance releases.

Im afraid if you bought the iPhone for what it could be and not for what it is, you wasted your money.

Hey, at least you have a phone that gets updated at all. Every other phone ive had never got updated. Ill take maintenance releases anyday.

4. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never saw that. I think that's great.

That being said, they promised a Wifi store and it will arrive soon, maybe today.

As for other features users want, there is no indication that Apple will ever offer them. User wishes are not broken promises from Apple.

6. cgray24 macrumors member

There is no timetable on any updates (except the wifi store).

My bet is Apple will want to save any major releases for after iPhone sales have grown stale. After all, they are still selling as is.

7. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Plenty of third party apps out there that do what apple says it was going to do anyway....When the phone first came out Steve talked about people writing apps and users accessing those from Safari...That has been done in groves....So he has done what was promised in a two month time....Dont hold your breath....

Download Ibricker or brezzy and start getting other apps also and quit crying

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer did so during last quarters conference call:

As we discussed previously, we plan to build on today's tremendous iPhone foundation by incorporating new software features and applications into the iPhone over time at no charge to customers. As a result, we have adopted subscription accounting for the iPhone handset sales and are recognizing the associated revenue and cost of goods sold over 24 months.

Entire transcript: http://seekingalpha.com/article/42374-apple-f3q07-qtr-end-6-30-07-earnings-call-transcript

Audio recording in QT format: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq307/

9. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Wow...looks like the iSheep are out in full force today. Apple setup the accounting of iPhone sales specifically to be able to add additional functionality on a frequent basis over the two years. Since the launch of the iPhone we've seen NO NEW functionality added whatsoever.

I think it's fair to be upset all we've been given are Ringtones and soon the WiFi iTunes store which are essentially just more ways for Apple to take your money. Maybe I was mistaken but I bought the iPhone with the expectation Apple would build on it in the future and at least start off soon.

Yes, and hacking it to run 3rd party apps that in most cases are useless (too premature and a lot are just proof of concepts) is definitely the right solution.:rolleyes:

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The only people "delighted" by the updates so far have been Apple's accounting department. True to their word though, the "surprising" new features are free...to install.

Seriously though, the only time the lack of non-bug fix updates bothers me is when I think of all the widgets, apps, features, etc. that ship as part of OSX for $129. Heck if Apple came out with a $50 app pack for the iPhone, I'd buy it in a second.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I just with they'd get their act together and add MMS by the time the UK iPhone comes out. The iTunes music store doesn't excite me but going back to a non-MMS stone's a bit of a backwards step.

12. Littlebit macrumors member

Expectation being the operative word, of course.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Yes, not entirely unlike going into a relationship with a married woman expecting her fidelity.

14. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Still better than any Pocket PC or Palm platform on the market....Just to have the ability to have a WIFI store and download music is a gaint leap in my opinion....I think tooo many people are expecting toooo much toooo early...
    As stated the Iphone is leaps and bounds ahead right out of the box....

15. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

The WiFi store is only going to be cool to people that....actually buy their music on the iTMS. I'll take my music without the side of DRM, thank you.

16. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

Yes, but I could get a Virtual Network Client on my PocketPC....:(

17. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

If Apple is not going to distribute native apps themselves at least release an SDK already so we can get some quality native apps on there. AFAIK the iPhone is the only 'smartphone' that does not support 3rd party native apps. I'm getting tired of it already.

18. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

The pictures from Engadget also show that they're adding TV Out to the iPhone.

19. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

YAY!!!

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Oppenheimer also said the same thing about Apple TV, and look at the progress of that product.

21. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

ooh!.. they're also adding the ability to view closed captions to videos, like in iTunes. now if only iTunes videos included them.

its good to see that there are some little extra touches being added here and there, aside from the WiTS.

22. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Wait, am I missing something? How are you people finding out this information?

Sounds really cool. Now I really can't wait. C'mon Cupertino, give us the updates!!!

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

In Excel, =NETWORKDAYS("06/29/2007","09/18/2007") shows that there's been 58 working days since the iPhone launch (and that doesn't even consider July 4th or Labor Day).

During those 58 days, Apple's launched the iPhone touch and has been working on launching the iPhone in Europe.

My guess is those two events tied up a bunch of iPhone resources. Maybe now Apple will be able to work on some functionality that you like?

I'm still not sure what you were expecting (update-wise) 60 work days after launch?

24. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I just expected Apple to release something substantial every month. Doesn't sound unresonable since they supposedly have been working on the iPhone for years now and it was announced/demoed back in Jan 07. So far all we've gotten are security updates, paid for Ringtones and now paid for iTunes Wifi Store.

What I've been hoping for are some of the most unanimous wants of all iPhone owners...a native chat client, other widgets (sports scores, dictionary, whatever.) and games.

I don't think I'm asking or too much at all

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

VNSea is in development and is on the Installer app.