Next iPhone Update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beaker26, Sep 15, 2007.

1. beaker26 macrumors member

In the iPhone update that is coming probably sometime next week, it'll lock the unlocking process and Apple hopes it takes a month for the hackers to have a work around. From the person I talke to they were unsure how long it'd slow down hacking it to put on applications. Sorry to you guys that've unlocked your iPhone. I think at this point it's pointless to try and do it.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

In a sense, i do feel bad for all the people that have unlocked their phones.

You know apple is going to disable it any way they can. Whether they say they care if people hack the phone or not.

Kinda makes you think why this update for us iPhone users is taking a while.

3. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

You are absolutely wrong. How can any iPhone update reverse the unlocking if I dont install the update in the first place? Both the iTunes and iPhone are working nicely right now then what is the urgency to install the next update?

If I was using an unlocked iPhone I`d definitely wait until the new update is confirmed harmless for the unlocked iPhones. In case it does reverse unlocking then I`d wait until there is a new/updated unlocking software and install the iPhone update only after that.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Definitely the approach I would take if I had an unlocked iPhone.

This is one of the reasons I decided to just go ahead and get AT&T and not hack my phone up and customize it.

Boy I remember the LG VX6000 days, I was probably one of the first people to have mp3 ringtones on my cell phone :)

5. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

But you don't know that they are, do you? That's the big question. That's one of the reasons everyone is anticipating this update. It's like the official response to the unlocking of the iPhone by Apple. I'd imagine they're carefully reviewing what they can and can't do, whether that exception to the DMCA protects unlockers or still allows them to re-lock it, etc.

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I don't get it?

I don't get why people would want to unlock their iPhones? I do believe that at&t has better service cause when i go somewhere with someone with an at&t phone and my Verizon phone has no service the at&t phone does.

7. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

Users who don't want to cancel with their current provider, users outside of the US, etc.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apple will come out with some killer features that will only be available with the update. Then all of you with unlocked phones will be sorry

9. hidehide macrumors 6502

The main thing is because of the 2-year contract thing..
    There might be cheaper plan, better phone after a year or so...
    Or even US started the 3G plan.. and you will stick with 2.5G.....

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

May be because not everyone is the world lives in the US? :rolleyes:

I have an unlocked phone and couldn't careless for having the update immediately. Everything works just fine for me for the time being.

11. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Well actually, the 2 year contract is for the number, not the phone. You could switch phones and transfer over the number without restarting your contract.

Also, you could switch plans without paying the early termination fee, but your 2 years would start over.

12. rxmxsh macrumors member

I would think that Apple doesn't care if the phone is unlocked, that's more $$$ for them. I think AT&T would care the most b/c of lost revenue...

13. sJv macrumors regular

I have a buddy who wants an ipod touch and already happens to have an AT&T account. The refurb iPhone is only $50 more than an 8GB touch, but comes with more apps, bluetooth, camera, a dock, and a power adapter. She doesn't necessarily want the data plan, though, but it would be nice to use the phone part. Unlocking an iPhone would be perfect for her.

-steve

14. bbydon macrumors 6502a

apple gets money from ATT subscription cost as well....so it does affect them

15. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I know that stuff but it sounds like it would be such a pain! Voiding the warranty, hacking the software ect... To me its just a stupid idea. People that live outside the US that are Apple fans would wait. There's even a press event next week.

16. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

Personally....I don't mind ATT....I chose them b/c they're better than T-mobile where I live. However, when I got to Europe or Asia, I don't want to pay between $1 to $2 per minute to roam with I can pay $.05 a minute to make calls back to the US. ATT's roaming rates are outrageous.

17. beaker26 thread starter macrumors member

Also to add to this, the iPhone will show up in Europe in October. The person didn't say what carriers, but just said next month.

18. ashtnn macrumors newbie

t-mo...read the macrumors front page.

19. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Even if the next software updates kills the unlocked phones, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time, maybe hours, before they find out a way around it. The way I see it, is as more times goes on, these hackers are becoming more and more familiar with the inner workings of the iphone. They'll be able to see what apple did, and find a solution. They always find a solution.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But if a person who would had not purchased an iPhone due to not wanting to go with AT&T can now buy the hardware.......I don't think Apple has a hard time taking their money. ;)

21. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Not Visual Voicemail. If you are a user who uses the phone for work (or just gets lots of VM I guess), it is evolutionary. Yes, "evolution" as it totally changes the way ALL phones should do Voice Mail. No, not a make or break app., but it sure raises the bar for all manufactures in terms of voice mail.

22. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Well still it cant kill any of the current killer features. All we`d have to do is wait a couple of days before the new update is broken.

But yes it`d have been better if we didnt need to do this. I m willing to pay apple 100-200$ more for a legitimate unlocked iPhone. So that i can atleast use it in my country. But Apple is greedy enough to not allow this. They want a share from monthly subscription too. So not much of a choice for those living outside the US of A.

I seriously doubt you`d void your warranty coz of a software based unlock.

I hope you know there are more than 16 countries in the world. I dont forsee any Apple event for Asia this year.

23. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I know that Apple said they would go to Asia in 2008 so y not just wait? It's just way to much trouble to ship it across the world and not even know if it would work or not. Until then every country will have the iPod Touch to buy and enjoy.

24. anfield11 macrumors regular

Or Canada for that matter. By the time Rogers [virtually our only GSM provider] get's their sh*t together it will be 201?

25. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its safe to say the hackers will always re-unlock potential updates I think it will become much like what happened with each PSP update over the past few years. Just make sure if you have unlocked your iPhone to check before applying any firmware updates.....