Next iPhone will most likely have 4G capabilities

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven Jobson, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Got this email from AT&T at around noon pacific time.

[​IMG]

This could mean a 4G capable iPhone by summer's probable release.

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Negative.

Early info on the iPhone5 states that is not going to be 4G.
    The reason that they didn't include LTE into the CDMA iPhone 4 was the LTE chipset would require a complete redesign.

Both ATT and Verizon (Verizon being the largest so far) only have a TINY bit of 4G overall. Verizon has the largest and it's only in something like 18 markets right now. Both should have a large chunk by end of 2011 so 2012 is the most probable as only a small portion of each carrier could use it. P

Almost all sources, and I agree, point towards a Summer 2012 4G based iPhone. In which time the LTE chipset should be more refined, compact, and all that good stuff.

The next iPhone will most likely be hardware upgrades (processor, memory, etc) and incorperate the new Qualcomm GSM/CDMA chip.

**Update: I wanted more solid numbers. Verizon, currently rolling out faster than ATT, is expected to have LTE at 140 markets in 2011 (or slightly more). They expect to have 66% of their entire network by 2013. That meshes with the 2012 estimated for 4G iPhones.

3. Steven Jobson thread starter macrumors regular

4. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

In the term they're using it in is just any geographical area they break into a market for their tracking purposes.

I don't think, off hand, that there's a map or any specific way they use to determine their markets outside of major city area's which due to the population density almost always get considered an individual market (probably determined as they plan each areas roll out) but for ease of use lets just consider them cities since that's a fairly common "market" identifier for carriers. Most major cities are a market, but when you get outside that due to distances between towns, general land, etc... it gets fuzzier.

Here's a rough idea of Verizon's LTE rollout for the near future.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/15/verizon-wireless-2011-lte-city-roll-out-leaked/

5. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Also a note to remember, AT&T have started calling their HSPA+ network 4G so its hard to actually know what they are talking about now (when they say 4G in things like this do they mean just HSPA+, or LTE specifically, or both).

As an aside, coming from an outside perspective (I'm from the UK), it seems really odd to different networks in America going different directions with technologies. I mean you have LTE, WiMax and HSPA+. In the UK we will probably just end up with LTE and maybe HSPA+ as a fallback (although I doubt that tbh).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

AT&T is in the worst shape when it comes to 4G, so much so, last december they spent a billion dollars to purchased more 700MHz spectrum from Qualcomm. This is not the action of a company that is rolling out 4G, but rather on that is just starting early stages of preparing for 4G

7. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

yeah, AT&T is calling its HSPA+ "4G". As BGR stated, its hand was kind of forced with Sprint, T Mobile and Verizon rolling out their 4G's. But HSPA+ is hardly going to be slow. It'll be the same, if not quicker, then your home cable internet.

If the IP5 has 4G built in, it'll have HSPA+ which for most people will be very quick and more then enough. We'll see how the network runs after next month.

8. Apple 26.2, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I scrolled to the bottom of that email to see what the asteriks was for...

"*4G speeds are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul. 4G speeds will be available in limited areas around the country with availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. 4G speeds require a 4G device."

... which pretty much means it'll happen with the next handset, i.e., iPhone 4G, or whatever it's going to be called.

But I don't see where this says it'll be the next iPhone... perhaps it's still a year away. But I'm being obvious, aren't I?

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Att going to have two 4G networks HSPA+ and LTE. HSPA+ will have it's first phone on March 1st with the Motorola Atrix and LTE will come out in 2012. There will be a 4G HSPA+ iPhone this year

700MHz is for LTE. Att already said they won't have LTE until 2012, Att going to have the lagers 4G network this year because of their HSPA+ 4G, so how are they in the worst shape?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So they're going to rebrand their HSPA+ as 4G as way to mask their inability to produce their original 4G network rollout. Sounds like a kludge; roll out one "4G" protocol as a temporary measure then switch over to another when they finally get their act together :rolleyes:

Sounds like a mess, especially when tying to support two "4G" protocols. They have trouble handling one 3G protocol, now they're going to do two

Here's an engadget article detailing AT&T's crying foul over T-Mobile calling HSPA+ 4G and now they decided to do it because their LTE network is so far behind schedule

11. aohus macrumors 68000

i highly doubt next iPhone iteration will have 4G support.

as 2nd poster said, it would require a complete redesign of the iPhone chipset.

also, rumor has it that the next iteration will have global capabilities, meaning CDMA/GSM support.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The next iPhone will most likely tout 3G HSPA+. Nothing else, I doubt 4G since not even Verizon is going to finish that until 2012.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.

14. kre62 macrumors 68000

According to the ITU's revised guidelines, HSPA+ can be referred to as 4G. Therefore AT&T is legitimately branding their network as 4G.

Also, this means that a 4G, HSPA+ iphone is likely this year, and it will be a true 4G device.

When T-Mobile is getting 30meg downloads on their HSPA+ network (3x the speed of Verizon LTE), why keep acting like LTE is some superior "True 4G" network? Isn't speed really the name of the game? Who gives a sh.. what they call it as long as it performs.

15. Applejuiced, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Speed is the name of the game.
    If it uses hspa+ I'm cool with it.

16. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I'd be happy with this.

Now just gatta work on that 4' screen......

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet the informed user knows that is not the case and as such I will always refer to HSPA+ as 3.75G

As per a 4G iPhone, still doubt it as Apple would want unison in the iPhone line. So 2012 is still my bet.

T-Mobile is already getting 21.1 Mb/s down through their HSPA+ network. Although they are planning to have their HSPA+ network at 42.2 Mb/s. HSPA+ can go all the way currently to 84Mb/s.

18. kre62 macrumors 68000

The "informed user" was informed of what to think of as 4G by the ITU. That same organization is now proposing HSPA+ as 4G. Therefore the "informed" user should adjust their thinking to coincide with the revisions that the original group who informed the informed user has now made.

T-Mobile demonstrated their 42mbps HSPA+ tech at their CES demo and got a real world 30meg download speed. Incredible.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True I should switch it; but, I still regard it as 3.75G. AT&T is doing a lousy job in this department by lowering standards.

As per T-Mobile, I was very surprised that their practical download speeds where higher than what I pay at home for broadband (22Mb/s).

20. kre62 macrumors 68000

Agreed

21. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i find it sad that they call that 4G, its amazing what they will do to sell you a phone. Most consumers don't know the difference, and now that t-mobile, Verizon, and sprint all have it is almost saddening that AT&T doesn't. Now you see all these new phones that have 4G, and A&TT roles it out in 2012. tisk tisk tisk

22. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree that's it's going to be a mess calling HSPA+ and LTE 4G. I agree with Att calling out T mobile for calling HSPA+ 4G because at that time no one else called it 4G but Att was backed in a corner and had to call there HSPA+ 4G also.

the thing about that is Verizon LTE it's starting out at 5-12mbps but will get faster in time just like T Mobile HSPA+. In the long run LTE will be faster than HSPA+ I think thats why people think LTE is superior to HSPA+

You should just get over the "I'm not going to call it 4G act" all you doing is confusing others just call it HSPA+ or LTE if you don't want to call it 4G. I'm with you I don't think it's 4G either but I gave up on that battle.

I wonder who's HSPA+ is going to be faster because theres already people with iPhone 4's getting 5-6 mbps on HSPA, i'll guess we'll find out in March when Att gets the Motorola Atrix which will run HSPA+

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AT&T has NO LTE 4G although they have HSPA+ which they are calling 4G

Verizon has 38 markets, not 18. About the same coverage AT&T had when they rolled out the 3G iPhone.

24. mobiletech macrumors member

If I remember hearing correctly but ATT is working on making all their current towers or atleast the 3G to be HSPA+. Since HSPA+ can run on their current towers but LTE requires a completly different system they put all funding to this. They did this to be able to advertise as being the company with the most widespread 4G, but in order to fund the overhaul they delayed the LTE.