Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
What's a power user to you ? I have a MBA, it's my only personal computer and I think I qualify as a power user, unless you're trying to redefine what a power user means.

(It doesn't mean gadget freaks would don't have the first clue how to use the damn thing but watch 1080p blu-ray rips btw).

I agree. I consider myself a power user as well and I'm thinking of selling my upgraded blackbook FOR a MBA; the question on waiting and seeing what comes out or getting a 2010 for cheap is what's on my mind.

I don't think power in this sense directly correlates with needing a high end computer with top specs; a power user could be someone who knows many if not all keyboard commands, can work around the system at blazing fast speeds, and know the BEST and most efficient ways of getting what they want done.

I always wanted to do this but it wasn't until I got a MB that I realized I actually could. I don't know why but doing everything on a Mac just feels "smooth". Like... the feeling you get when you're weaving in and out of traffic in an exotic car; that's how I feel when I'm using this MB.

Not to get off topic here, but Apple really should make a commercial with their typical "inspiring/powerful" music and have various users, like, actual people from the street, who know how to work around in Macs. A lot of people (myself included) don't actually know that you can do all of these things with a Mac because they're constantly pushed as being simple, fast, and easy to use.

You could argue that if you're intelligent you won't simply throw Macs out without doing a little research but it wasn't until I got one first hand that I knew about all of the keyboard commands, spaces, expose, the ever-changing menubar at the top, and the actual "feel" of the machine.

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
I'll order one tomorrow if for certain it will be coming with these items:

USB 3 ports instead of USB 2 ? this device market will take off quicker than thunderbolt...like it or not...it's backward compatible with usb 2 devices which everyone have... It needs to be adopted by Apple along side the faster Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt (is a given)
Sandy Bridge (is a given)
optional 8 gb RAM ?
Backlit Keyboard?

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
if you want to play games, buy an xbox 360, PS3, Wii, or go for the Macbook Pro i guess. Macbook Air is perfect for the causal computer user (web, music, light photo, word processing) and thats that. If you "hardcore" gamers are complaining, tough *****.

This isn't really fair, or true.

I'm by no means a "hardcore" gamer - but it would be nice, on the road, occasionally, to be able to play a game in one random hotel room or another without needing to either haul a console along (I like that 75% of your suggestions aren't portable) or the vastly bulkier MBP.

Noting that disappointment, especially when the graphics card got *worse* is hardly "us hardcore gamers" complaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.