Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trims

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Nottingham, UK
When your HDD breaks you replace your hard drive and put your backed up data back on your laptop.

Suppose your soldered on SSD breaks, just out of warranty, then what?

Suppose your {LCD screen, motherboard, power circuit board, Wifi board, Webcam, Microphone, power port, keyboard, touchpad} breaks, just out of warranty, then what?

Assuming the data is backed up, I guess my anxiety is cost. A screen or keyboard (or HDD) is going to cost less to swap out than a motherboard with 4GB RAM and 256GB of SSD chips soldered on to it. Even in two years time after the prices have dropped.

OTOH a 256GB SSD blade would be a relatively cheap and simple fix (or indeed upgrade).

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I can picture it... five years from now, we'll have 5 TB solid state drives as standard on any Mac :p

It seems that storage size is growing far faster than storage requirements for apps. In a five years, I imagine HDDs will be niche products. Most people are fine wtih 256GB SSDs. My '08 aluminum macbook came with that much and I've never even come close to running out of storage. All it takes is a little cleanup every now and then.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
For those saying this allows them to make it thinner, it can't get any thinner unless they were to remove all the ports, because that is currently the only thing that keeps it "thick".

Secondly about SSD failures. Average SSD has a expected life of about 50 years.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
is this going to happen to the ones releasing soon? if so im just going to get an air now
I suspect that it will not be in the 2011 MBA, but there is no way to know for sure. It would be more likely in the 2012 MBA.

Personally, I would not mind the SSD soldered down, and would actually prefer it. One fewer connector is one fewer failure point. For those who want upgradability... you always have the option of a full size machine. Personally, I value the small size and light weight of an MBA over any other laptop feature. I have no desire to ever own a full size laptop again and I decommissioned both of our 15" MBPs last year. I personally replace my laptop annually, and waterfall my previous machines through my family. After year 3 (4 worst case), it is generally EOL'd, and AppleCare will keep it under warranty for its useful life. In the case I want to keep it for a 4th year... I wouldn't break a sweat having to replace it a year earlier than planned... it's just not a big deal by then.

As far as loss of data... the most basic premise of my computing environment is to never lose data if any or even all all of my computers were destroyed. If you worry about losing data if your computer fails, then my recommendation would be to re-evaluate your compute strategy. All of my computers are all doubly backed up -- every hour wirelessly to a Time Capsule, and also every 15 minutes (every 3 minutes on my iMacs) to the cloud (Crashplan+). With my heavy use of Dropbox (and eventually iCloud), then my data is backed up in even more locations. I never rely on my internal HDD or SSD as the sole storage.

/Jim

Last edited:

TorontoPolar

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Toronto
Hoping for 15" - Any chance of that?

For those saying this allows them to make it thinner, it can't get any thinner unless they were to remove all the ports, because that is currently the only thing that keeps it "thick".

Secondly about SSD failures. Average SSD has a expected life of about 50 years.

I'm looking to replace my 5-year-old 15" MacBook Pro. I have no use for an optical drive, but I do like my 15" screen. What are the chances of something between the Pro and the Air with a 15" screen but no optical drive so it can be as thin and nearly as light as the 13?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Whats actually the use/market for the MB Air?

I mean, is more expensive and less capable than the samller Mac Book.

I thought the Air was going to be a niche product, but last time I checked the Air is selling very well.

I bought a Macbook Pro 15" for university so I would be prepared no matter what I do. But now that I narrowed down my career path just a bit more, the Air is starting to look very interesting. I like to walk home a lot after work as my exercise and saving bus fare so the Air would be much easier on the back and is enough for web development purposes.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It would be a good business move for Apple. When buying a iPhone or iPad, you choose a size and that's what you get, no room for expansion etc; it's only because we've been able to upgrade our computers in the past that we expect this behaviour, but computers are becoming more of a commodity than they were. Your average consumer would likely never think of swapping a hard drive. If it breaks you get a new one, just like if my iPhone breaks.

If this could mean an increase in the size of the SSD then it could make the Airs a realistic option fora wider audience.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Whats actually the use/market for the MB Air?

I mean, is more expensive and less capable than the samller Mac Book.

Isn't choice wonderful? If you don't value the benefits of the MBA... you have many other choices for the benefits of a full sized machine.

Personally... it doesn't matter how much less expensive it is to buy a MBP vs a MBA. I have no desire to ever own anything as big, heavy and bulky as a MBP... and will chose the MBA. That is what I value.

/Jim

couto27

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
lisboa,portugal
if this is true, will be the second time im buying a apple care.

next step is to get soldered tools for electronics and read some guides to learn how to use them.:)

LuckyLuke150

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
I'm using my MBA (late 2008 128GB SSD) a lot and I really love its form factor, since I carry it almost every day to campus. The only thing I'd like to change is its storage capacity, since 128GB is by far not enough, which is why I rely on 2.5 external HDDs, which is cheaper then a new SSD as I don't need that much data with me all the time.
If Apple manages to squeeze in 512GB for (hopefully) less then 1500€, then I'd consider buying the 2012 revision, but only if they reintroduce backlit keyboard, because this is an essential feature of my MBA, and not including it in the redesign was a real Dealbreaker...:(
Let's hope Apple adds this feature, which would make the pricetag much less a headache.

LuckyLuke

iZeeshan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I see that it is mostly getting negative reviews because people are saying they can't upgrade. I'm not too worried about that, but what other cons are there?

Some people said something about resale value and whatnot - what's the deal with that? I really want the new Air and I guess after this news I'm pretty skeptical about getting such an expensive machine that may not be as well rated as it's previous models.

I guess it's better to just hope that it won't appear on the 2011 Models or is it actually useful for an average user like myself?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm using my MBA (late 2008 128GB SSD) a lot and I really love its form factor, since I carry it almost every day to campus. The only thing I'd like to change is its storage capacity, since 128GB is by far not enough, which is why I rely on 2.5 external HDDs, which is cheaper then a new SSD as I don't need that much data with me all the time.
If Apple manages to squeeze in 512GB for (hopefully) less then 1500€, then I'd consider buying the 2012 revision, but only if they reintroduce backlit keyboard, because this is an essential feature of my MBA, and not including it in the redesign was a real Dealbreaker...:(
Let's hope Apple adds this feature, which would make the pricetag much less a headache.

LuckyLuke

If they can save enough energy overall, they could afford to add that in. The new MBA will be quite a bit different internally if most of the assumed specs come true: iX/Intel Graphics, Thunderbolt, and now this SSD. The issue is whether or not that would require added thickness, which it might, and would probably be something Apple wouldn't want to do.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
This could make me want to upgrade from my current model...interesting.
Heck I've already caved into the temptation.

And even though I have followed this new model extremely closely, knowing it will be good, it's not going to a huge jump up from my current new MBA, I'm still going to buy one.

I will however, wait until it's been out about 90 days just to allow them to resolve any bugs that pop up once the public put them to the test.

Besides as I understand it, Apple needs the money... ha..ha.ha..ha..

Translated: I'm such a Mac-Laptop-Addict-It's-Scary... :eek:

iToys? Not so much.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
The really funny thing about this article is that for all the nasty patent legal speak Apple and Samsung are massively in love and full of sexual energy. :D

Love in the air, spring is coming, and Apple likes picking those nice low hanging fruits we call Samsung. :rolleyes:

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
Having the RAM and SSD is the compromise for the ultra portable Air.

Lets hope the MBP remains upgradable and maintainable. it would be nice if the Pros were even more designed even more future proof so that the graphics and other parts could be upgraded.

If the future is a disposable computer the Mac community wouldn't have much to talk about and it would be easier to just get a PC and install the anti virus.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Do we really want to move laptops to a point where they are completely unexpandable?

Yes :p, here is why, these are not laptops, they just tend to cost as much. I don't consider the MBA a real laptop when it weights almost as little as an ipad mostly the 11 inch. I sure runs like a macbook pro but...

I like this idea because to me there is no after market selling point here. sure for the fangirls who have to have a new laptop every year I can see that, but for people like me who will hold on to their apple product for as long as it works which when it comes to my wife macbook white is now 5 years and no work done on it. No she does not want a new one because it still runs fast and smooth for her business needs.

If my laptop makes it to 5 plus years it has paid for it self, since I write my hardware off the taxes. I can see people who want the latest and greatest but for me I tend to keep the latest and greats for a whole long time and so do a lot of people.

No iphone 5 for me don't need it till maybe when iphone 6 or 7 comes out.

Ipad 2 same thing, unless retina is so much better on the ipad that I can't live without it, eyesight problems would dictate it but I figure I will get the ipad 4 when it comes out in 2 years. Again only fangirls think apple is making stuff that become obsolete so fast they are not, now Android market is another story.

montealto

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
New MacBook Air Hard Drive

I've been searching the forums and threads and I can't find anything that gives indicating of the various hard drive capacities the new macbook air might have, any ideas?

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Maximizing battery life. :rolleyes:

If Apple built cars they would make it where the wheels and tires didn't come off claiming that the wheels and tires were designed that way for maximum miles per gallon.
After the original tires wear out you have to either throw the car out or send it to Apple to get new tires put on it.

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
Yes :p, here is why, these are not laptops, they just tend to cost as much. I don't consider the MBA a real laptop when it weights almost as little as an ipad mostly the 11 inch. I sure runs like a macbook pro but...

I like this idea because to me there is no after market selling point here. sure for the fangirls who have to have a new laptop every year I can see that, but for people like me who will hold on to their apple product for as long as it works which when it comes to my wife macbook white is now 5 years and no work done on it. No she does not want a new one because it still runs fast and smooth for her business needs.

If my laptop makes it to 5 plus years it has paid for it self, since I write my hardware off the taxes. I can see people who want the latest and greatest but for me I tend to keep the latest and greats for a whole long time and so do a lot of people.

No iphone 5 for me don't need it till maybe when iphone 6 or 7 comes out.

Ipad 2 same thing, unless retina is so much better on the ipad that I can't live without it, eyesight problems would dictate it but I figure I will get the ipad 4 when it comes out in 2 years. Again only fangirls think apple is making stuff that become obsolete so fast they are not, now Android market is another story.

If you have to send the computer back to Apple to replace the battery, RAM, SSD, HDD etc there is less of an incentive to keep it more than a few years.

Have you not replaced the battery in that 5 year old mac book?

Sorry, couldn't resist jumping in :p

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iFixedit

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Especially with the amount of time computers tend to last nowadays. You can easily get a computer, and have it still working 5 years later, even a PC.

Sorry for being completely off topic but I feel like I have to add this to the discussion.

I do not buy into the idea that mac's last longer than PCs. My mid-2007 iMac is slowing down to a crawl (I use alot of large PDCs for my hobbies) since I haven't upgraded it at all (other than a new harddrive since my last one died). Of course a 500 dollars PC is not gonna last as long as the cheapest mac out there but if they are both equally priced and equally maintained/taken care of they will last just as long.

Now this leads me to my biggest problem with the macbook air. My iMac's main problem is the lack of RAM (only 1GB), but I know that I can readily upgrade that for a marginal cost (just haven't done so because this is mostly a "fun computer" with casual games, pictures, movies, and internet). But I just cannot see a macbook air being functional without these little upgrades for more than a year or two.

In my humble opinion Apple should invest a lot on the Mac App Store and use a similar iPad strategy for the Macbook Air. Sell it at a loss or with a small profit margin, but make up for the loss in revenue by selling services and apps.

Flames and hatred aside, I believe that Apple will manage to create what google has been trying to do with their Chrome Book line. The Macbook Air has the potential to become an outstanding computer with heavy cloud integration, but yet it should still be able to hold on its own when internet is not available or while doing some moderate computing (basic photoshop, aparture, iLife suite, office.... at the same time).

With that being said, I will definitely be getting an Air once I see that the specs are reasonable enough for it to survive for at least 4 years. In my view this means 4GB of RAM (without apple's extortion fee), a moderately fast processor (i3 or i5-low voltage versions) and a graphics card capable of running 2 year-old games on high settings (I use games mostly as benchmarks).

Last edited:

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia

...let's see MJ's soldering skills...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.