next Macbook spec update ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alptkz, Apr 18, 2009.

1. alptkz macrumors newbie

alptkz

Hi guys

Well it's been about 6 months since the 13" Macbook came out and following Apple's policy, there should be a spec update soon right ?

I'm really itching to buy it but I'm waiting for the next update. Does anyone have some insight as to when that might be ?

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

4. alptkz thread starter macrumors newbie

alptkz

I know we can't know for certain until it's out, but since the Macbook Pro 15" and white Macbook both got recent bumps, I'd think the 13" would as well soon. Especially if you consider that since the white MB update, it is almost identical in specs to the entry-level unibody MB. Same CPU, same ram, same graphic card.

Anyways, all this to get other people's perspectives. I certainly don't want to wait until September and want to know whether it's reasonable to wait a bit.

PS: thanks for the buyer's guide, that's quite useful.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'm still expecting a small bump within the next 6 weeks.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I sell my Mac every 6 months or so, depending on when they refresh the line to my liking. I always buy right after an announcement as well. Selling my Mac affords me the ability to only pay between $100 and $300 for a brand new Mac. It has worked really well for me over the past 5 years or so - I will definitely continue.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm expecting a small Spring update as well before the summer Back to School Promo stateside.

8. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

WWDC. There will be an update then, including a small spec update and possibly another gig of ram. I am hoping for another 20GB on the harddrives. The important part is the release of Snow Leopard, the reason I haven't bought my Alu MacBook yet. Back to school promo FTW, lol:D

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...almost correct... the RAM in the whitebook is DDR2 (@667 mhz) and the RAM in the UMB is DDR3 but the CAS latency almost negates some of the performance increase...

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Dude are you serious? Sounds like you don't lose much on the resale value then. Wonder if there's a lots people doing the same thing.

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Not a bad idea if you have that sort of money every six months. That would be all my savings each time..... I so need to get a job.

12. alptkz thread starter macrumors newbie

alptkz

So basically you sell your Mac right before (hopefully) a new model is announced, which makes your resale price higher than it would be after the announcement ? If so, what do you do while you don't have a computer ? Or did I get it wrong and you sell it as soon as the new model is out ?

Can't you just upgrade the software (or reinstall from scratch) once it's out ? Or do you think they will have some new hardware to come along the os ?

---
    Well looks like I'm waiting until WWDC at least.

13. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

not to mention the fact that you can jump on crucial or newegg and buy 800MHZ DDR2 for nVidia WhiteBooks for dirt cheap (and the nVidia Whitebooks WILL run the RAM at 800MHZ...some people have thought that it downclocks the RAM speed)

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...due to the email that was received from Crucial tech support.

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Intel will bump their Penryn CPUs by 133 MHz or so soon, so we may see an update in the next few months.

16. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Well since Apple doesn't officially support 800MHZ DDR2 RAM in the nVidia WhiteBook, of course Crucial isn't going to support it either.

17. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

A friend of mine does the same thing. People on ebay can be dumb about this stuff.

18. roryapple macrumors newbie

roryapple

19. iLloyd macrumors newbie

Strategic option

Hey Pika - after thinking about it for a while, I opted for the other strategic option. In August my 12" PowerBook will be 5 years old, so it's cost me less, but on the other hand you've benefited from speedy machines. One question: how do you sell your used machines?

20. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

As you can see... i always have all the latest and greatest apple machines in my room. None of them are older then 6 months or so... except the wired & wireless mighty mouses + wired & wireless apple keyboards.

... and the 10 months old iPhone 3G.

[​IMG]
    I would say the resell value of Apple hardware the comes down to a number of things.

1: Cost of information.

While information online may be free, the time spent finding the information is not. So a buyer may have decided to spend 500 “utility”, where 1 “utility” equals one dollar or one minute. This is what we do everytime we use a taxi or hire a professional, trading money for sparetime. Or opposite when we work, trading sparetime fore money. Apple have an extremly easy lineup compared to most companys and especially compared to the industry as a whole. So the consumer may spend $500 on a used Mac (assumed cost of information zero) or 100 minutes and $400 in finding a proper used PC. All numbers used is of course only for illustration.

2: “Speculation”.

A buyer of used Apple hardware is prepared to pay a premium compared to a buyer of PC hardware because she knows that she will be able to charge a premium also when she sells the hardware. No one but Apple gains on this though.

3: Aesthetics

Most of the Apple lineup from 1999 and onwards have been looking good. Men crave for good-looking things, from women to clothes to cars to computers. And we’re ready to pay a premium for good looks. So even if the hardware is dated the looks remain and add value. This can be seen with the titanium/aluminium powerbook where the Al PB command a premium which can’t be fully explained by its newer technology alone.

4: Lack of lowend-offering

For someone wanting a Mac laptop, the least expensive start at $1100 while the least expensive pc laptop start at the $500 mark. If you can’t afford $1100 you’re forced to buy a used laptop, increasing demand and raising prices in the sub-$1000 market.

5: Operating System

PC users find this hard to believe but each Mac OS actually makes your older machine faster - I know you think this is a lie as PC users who try and install even XP2 over XP find it’s not worth the bother - just buy a new machine while I have a laptop I mostly just used to surf while watching TV or for when guests are at the house, I’ve upgraded from 10.2 to 10.4 and damn if the thing isn’t actually faster ... I know Pc users will find it hard to believe but it’s true - one reason why Macs hold up their value.

6: Supply and demand

There are roughly 19 PCs for every 1 Mac on the used market. That is a HUGE glut of used PCs compared to Macs, which makes the used PC market a buyer’s market compared to the seller’s market with Macs. As a consequence, used Macs retain their value more. And while this is great for sellers, it can be frustrating for those who would love to get their hands on used Macs but find themselves priced out of that market as much as they are for brand new Macs.

7: Collectors

Apple machines are collection items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmoc4dd_LnE

8: Nostalgia

Once there was a time... a time when computers had soul... computer had character... it wasn't all about graphics... it wasn't all about Capitalism... it was about experimenting... it was about fun & learning... all we have left now are the Nostalgia... of the times we all loved... but we still remember the music. I'm honored to have been alive at that time, I know computers are now much more advanced, but back then everything was new, it was an amazing feeling.
    I sell my Mac right before the new one is in stock... That's why I'm here at Macrumors watching and reading the probability of future apple machines. That way, my Mac keep it's resale value as new. After it's sold i can buy a new one. If it's not sold yet, i will keep buying the new and leave the old "for sell" till someone buy it.

I use eBay + I make a deal with a store reseller. I simply leave my Mac to the reseller store with my price on display and if a costumer decided to buy it they call me.

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

So by doing this I guess you waive the amount ebay and paypal charges for the sale then, huh.

22. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Pika that is a very nice strategy. I may have to try it when I acquire more macs.