Next MBP 13" release? Stuck waiting for Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ls1dreams, Feb 14, 2013.

  1. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2009

    Unfortunately, I'll need to purchase a laptop sometime in the next 2 months or so.

    Is there any chance the new MBP will be out by then, or is it pretty much guaranteed to be more like June/July when Haswell comes out?

    I'd hate to buy a machine at the very end of a cycle =/
  2. xShane macrumors 6502a


    Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    No one here knows for sure. Only time will tell.
  3. e²Studios macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    Considering they were just updated on Tuesday if you bought the retina MBP 13" you'd be buying at the beginning of a cycle, not the end.

    Even if Intel releases the mobile chips in June, you wont see them in a MBP till August I'd suspect. Furthermore there are rumors that the initial chips will not have the newer GT3 video so you could be looking at this time next year and then people will be talking about not buying till broadwell or skyfall or whatever the next gen chip of the month is. From what I've read the real gains won't be seen till the chips go 14nm, all rumors for now, and none worth waiting for imo.

    If this one fits your needs just buy it, waiting for updates is pointless since no laptop stays current more than 6-8 months in this market.

    I will buy the new 13" retina with the upgraded 3.0 processor tomorrow, all I do is mainly web, documents, some power point, tweetbot, other social networking crap and on occasion while travelling (travel is fairly rare for me now) I might boot up WoW. The one just released fits what I need it for perfectly and I'm sure it will be a hell of a lot better than the late 2006 MBP I'm using now :p
  4. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

    Jul 7, 2012
    Sadly yeah the next refresh will be when haswell comes out.
  5. jav6454 macrumors P6


    Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Haswell driven Macs won't be out till sometime late this year or next year. Apple isn't a fast adopter, nor do they accelerate refreshes due to new tech.
  6. Veradun macrumors member

    Jan 19, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    You'll need it soon, so there's no use waiting for the next refresh. If the laptop you're looking to buy now can perform everything you need it to do and handle it well, then buy it! You'll be enjoying your new laptop in the time you may have spent waiting and waiting for the Haswell update which may not even come until later this year/early next year.

    And the Retina MacBook Pros were updated just recently, so you won't be buying at the end of the cycle. :)
  7. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2009
    Oh well.

    I don't care about the +10% cpu performance bump, but really wanted the new GT3 graphics. Doubling the speed of the current HD 4000 chipset means that the new graphics would be nearly at Radeon 6670 speeds!
  8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040


    Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Fall/Late 2013 more than likely.


    Keep waiting then.

    I would buy now, sell then buy again and take the few hundred dollar hit which I call a renting/leasing fee, rather than waiting.
  9. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816


    Aug 14, 2006
    What do you have currently in terms of Mac computers?
  10. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000


    Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake...blah bah. I remember people on these forums last year not buying things until "Ivy Bridge" came out, now it's Haswell. It never ends.

    I have a 13" rMBP and it's awesome. If you keep waiting for spec improvements, you'll never enjoy a new machine. For what you plan on doing, Haswell shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. The price just dropped $200...go get a Retina and be happy.

    And remember, once you buy a Mac it's not glued to you forever. If Haswell or Broadwell or Skylake comes out and you absolutely have to have it, you can always sell your current Mac for a very good price and buy the new one. I'd rather enjoy the latest hardware design while it's hot than sit around waiting for spec bumps that won't change my life much.
  11. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2009
    I wasn't planning on going with retina for a few reasons:
    1. I don't think the screen is that much better at the distance I view it at
    2. It gets worse battery life
    3. The base model only has 128gb of non upgradable ram. It would cost $1700!!! to get a 256gb version.

    Of course, this form factor may be the ONLY option by the time Haswell comes out. What I really like about the current MBP non-retina models is the ability to easily upgrade to your own SSD at an affordable price.


    I have a laptop that I need to return to my company, so in about 2 months I will have absolutely nothing.
  12. surf4peace macrumors newbie


    Dec 8, 2007
    Can still get a regular Macbook Pro 13"

    Just know that you'll be limited to 1280 by 800 resolution. Not a deal killer (I have one) but keep that in mind. Otherwise, this could be as good as it gets until we get Haswell several months from now.
  13. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

    Jul 6, 2010
    People keep saying that apple is a late adopter yet I swear at one point Apple had access to intels chips prior to them even being released.

    So what is the real answer?
  14. sarakn macrumors 6502a


    Feb 8, 2013

    I think you just helped me change my mind.... why wait for something that would give me a little more speed that I may not notice.

  15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Feb 6, 2009
    If you do buy one now, try getting an Apple refurbished unit. They're basically the same as a new one, have the same one year warranty, and you're saving possibly a lot of money so it doesn't sting so much when they get updated a few months later.
  16. e²Studios macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    Thats a great idea except there are no refurbs for the new models released this week...
  17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Feb 6, 2009
    Yeah, but the 'new' models are barely any different than the old ones. The base model 13" is identical, and the base model 15" is a 0.1Ghz difference. The 'Early 2013' models are just a very slight bump, not a new generation.

    I'd rather take the refurbished savings.

Share This Page