next MBP 15; better screen res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renault4, Jan 15, 2010.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

any ideas what the expectations are regarding a higher resolution display in the next 15" MBP?

2. iBunny macrumors 65816

They better or no MBP for me. Im tired of being stuck at 1440x900. This isnt 2002 anymore.....

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I kinda like the MBP res!
    But then again mine is hooked up to my Eizo and usually only holds my clipart and photoshop palettes. With higher resolution it would make it very awkward to use with screen spanning with an external monitor.

Option to choose between 1440 and 1680 res would be the best way to go tho

4. psk20 macrumors newbie

I really hope apple bump up the res on the next 15" MBP. My 2 year old dell has a 1680x1050 res and I don't think I could go any lower. I often use two windows side by side.

If the res on the 15" doesn't get bumped, I'm hoping that the 13" will get discrete graphics. If so I'll get that and plug it into an external display.

Otherwise, I dunno, maybe I'll buy another Dell. I like my one, tbh! :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they do, they'll lose me as a customer. I find that anything higher will be too much for me. I think the current resolution is perfect.

6. capn00 macrumors newbie

You know you can change the setting DOWN on the resolution if it is too high for you, but you can't set them higher than it is built for...

Just sayin

:rolleyes:

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's fine how it is like he said.

The text would be super small on anything higher.

8. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Apple should adapt the OS to cope with this like in windows then.

9. briancl macrumors newbie

You realize that things like text and image size are user adjustable, but the maximum resolution not? With a higher resolution display, everyone benefits with higher quality through greater pixel density, but those who have trouble reading small text can adjust the size. Just because you have the ability to accurately render small text, that doesn't mean you must suffer through tiny text in order to receive the benefit of a higher resolution display.

Do you prefer standard definition or high definition TV? Do you prefer watching DVD or Bluray?

10. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

Having the choice of higher resolution is good for everyone. As stated above, text size is user adjustable.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im not going to repeat what was said by others to your post but lets say that you had to use that higher resolution. in other words, pretend there was no way to make the resolution lower. would you really stop using a superior computer just because of screen res?:confused: isnt it better not getting viruses and dealing with the other headaches that come along with using windows?

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I've been hoping for a resolution bump for some time now. I have a 15" MBP and I think I would benefit from a higher resolution.

I hope a bump happens this revision, and if it goes 16:9, I'm almost positive there will be a bump to 1600x900.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not everything gets changed or formatted correctly.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

14. slaytalera macrumors newbie

as much as i hate the trend, im guessing/assuming apple will be going lose 16:10 and go with 16:9 aspect ratio:(

15. kolax macrumors G3

16. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Have you ever actually tried to change the resolution on an LCD???? LCDs have fixed pixels running anything but at native resolution looks like a blurry mess!

And to everyone who says just change the font size, you can't do that for everything. Things such as your menu bar, buttons in programs, scroll bars ect ect can not be changed.

While I would like the extra PPI, I would want Mac OS X to be resolution independent before that happened.

17. David-fr macrumors 6502

Ibm

i know, my 2 year old T60p has a 1600 * 1200 resolution display..i like the MBP but they need to give us premium hardware to charge us premium prices

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It's funny how quickly dismissed the concerns about the resolution being too high and stuff unreadable here. The knee jerk reaction is to lower the resolution w/o any thought or knowledge that action still fails to correctly address the situation.

I don't know apple to provide a higher resolution display as an option but changing over completely to a higher res display will negatively impact sales of the MBP. I'm not the only one who does not want the resolution to change.

19. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

I, for one, would be very happy to have a full HD display on the next MBP 15".
    But the aspect ratio is fine. We have relatively little vertical space as it is.

20. apple.net macrumors member

Seems like 16:9 is the trend for 2010 laptops, which I don't like as a programmer. But I have to bet on the so-called HD+ (1600x900) standard on 15" and FHD (1920x1080) an option.

21. yegon macrumors 68020

Ideally, it'd be 16:10 and;

13" 1440x900
    15" 1680x1050
    17" 1900x1200

Knowing Apple, kiss goodbye to 16:10, zero res bumps :(

Not that I care that much, I'm not after a new lappy and my 15" is fine coupled with my 24" ACD :)

22. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

The reaction was to scale the font size, too dense an image is not an issue (at least within considered possibilities).

23. nOw2 macrumors regular

Apple should take a lead and double the resolution. The technology is out there now.

High pixel densities are the way to go; after living with an iPhone and now 27" iMac, displays like 1680x1050 on 20" or even the 13" MacBook screens look like VGA 640x480 now.

24. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Funny you mention this. Apple has never had me (and several others I know) as a 15" customer, solely because of the poor 1440x900 resolution. 1680x1050 (or higher) is a must, in my book at least.