Next MBP refresh has to have Arrandale, right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Nov 25, 2009.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

No way they'll do another C2D refresh, is there?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For the 15"/17" yes. What the 13" gets is somewhat in the air.

3. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Sorry to sound noobish but I take it u mean no change to the MBP 13.3'' models?

4. Fame Monster macrumors newbie

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Seeing as low end iMacs didnt get Lynnfield, Apple may apply the same logic and not bring Arrandale to the 13" model and just give them bumped C2Ds.

6. Fame Monster macrumors newbie

7. Solid Raven macrumors member

what's in a name

8. Fame Monster macrumors newbie

Wouldn't the white macbook already be the lower end?

I'm obviously not an expert, and I have just recently bought a MBP. So I am not trying to start something, I am just curious :)

9. Solid Raven macrumors member

Yea, but I can't really spot a difference between the white macbook and the now lower end macbook pros, which are actually just rebranded macbooks (plus firewire and sd and alu enclosure). Anyway, the difference is already clear in the gpu. Only the "old" MBPs have the 9600m gt.

10. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

In technology? Not much. lol.

11. Solid Raven macrumors member

exactly

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Ok, Im gonna say this again. There are MANY differences between the macbook and the 13" macbook Pro.

the following are features that are on the MBP 13" and not the macbook.

a. the display is better on the MBP. Color Gamut is better and it is brighter.
    b. Backlit keyboard. i can not express how valuable and useful this is. you wont know until you use one.

c. SD card slot. also very useful.
    d. 8gb ram supported vs. the macbooks 4gb
    e. firewire
    f. you discount the aluminum housing, but it is also invaluable. the white plastic will scratch if you look at it funny. where the aluminum can stand up to much more that the plastic can.

the 13" MBP IS NOT just a macbook rebranded.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm guessing the biggest change in the 13" will be a bump in the processor speed. The low end MBP will probably become the 2.53 GHz model.

14. Solid Raven macrumors member

I did count the aluminium housing.

a. wouldn't know of the better display, if so, true.
    b. granted, it's very convenient, but not essential.
    c. meh
    d. most users who go for a 13" mbp wouldn't need the 8GB ram anyway. Heck, even 6 is almost overkill. (don't know whether that's supported on mb though).
    e. good point
    f. It's just aesthetics. (besides, I even think the polycarbonate unibody is alot more robust than the aluminium)

The only vital difference that made the mbp a "pro" laptop was the gpu, and perhaps firewire.

Now, the mb and 13" mbp are basically the same. Same cpu, gpu, hd, stock ram, battery, screen size. Those are the vital parts.
    So only the display and firewire are the dealmakers imo.

Anyway, maybe "rebranded" was a bit too much, but you can hardly say they're different machines.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

There's no saying what will happen... C2D might haunt you forever...

Nah jokes I was just trying to scare you, C2D will be gone at least in the 15" and 17" models in the next refresh. It might be Quad Core:rolleyes:

16. Yixian macrumors 65816

In this line, absolutely nothing.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's the general idea. That it may happen is a whole different thing.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I utterly disagree with you. The comparisons were not what features are essential or needed. it is purely what are the differences. whether it is convenience or aesthetics, it is still a difference. The bottom line is that for many people those differences (backlit keys and aluminum) is enough to buy the Pro over the MB. Also, look at a MBP next to a MB in the apple store next time. you will see the color gamut on the pro is better.

19. Solid Raven macrumors member

Ofcourse it's important whether the difference is needed, or at least useful. If apple were to paint the MBP black, would that make it different?
    Maybe aesthetics and convenience is enough to consider a "pro" over the mb, even to me, really; but it still doesn't make it a wholly different machine (obviously not completely the same either). When I buy a computer, I'm interested in what is inside that computer: conclusion: MB en 13" MBP are the same. Though for 200 bucks more, you get a better screen and some additional features, which is great, but hardly "pro" (only firewire, maybe).
    Don't get me wrong, the 13" mbp is a good deal. My initial point was that the "pro" label will not automatically grant it the same updates as the high end pros (with dedicated gpus).

The previous alu macbook (the "collector's edition" :) ) was basically the same as the 13 mbp now, even with backlit keyboard. Now they labeled it pro and added firewire.
    But hey, I don't care what they call their products, in the end you just choose the machine that works for you. I was just saying that a name is only a name.

Anyway, the bottom line is: how do we define pro?

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Tallest is that you?

Tell me. If a chip is announced in January or Feburary and a refresh happens in the same month do you honestly believe that chip will be in any of the machines? Tell me, because apparently you're in the know.