Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can agree to your assessment of capacitive buttons. I think what is being suggested here (or at least what I am suggesting) is getting rid of the "button" all together. If anything, have it part of the actual screen (a la Android 4.0). The only situation in which this wouldn't be ideal would be for waking the device, though I know I could easily get over that. The power button already doubles in functionality in that way.

I don't want software buttons taking up screen-estate on any level. The execution sucks on the GNEX and I dont want apple going the same route.

As for the home button, if there is a way to implement a solution that is button-less, without breaching the seamlessness the iPhone currently offers in user experience, I am all for it.

Gesture based could work if it can be performed with the thumb only with minimal accidental actions. Two finger gestures on a phone would suck as phones are one-handed operation devices...unless we are talking about obnoxious abortions like the Galaxy Note.

Maybe a swipe up from the bottom action with the thumb...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't want software buttons taking up screen-estate on any level. The execution sucks on the GNEX and I dont want apple going the same route.

As for the home button, if there is a way to implement a solution that is button-less, without breaching the seamlessness the iPhone currently offers in user experience, I am all for it.

Gesture based could work if it can be performed with the thumb only with minimal accidental actions. Two finger gestures on a phone would suck as phones are one-handed operation devices...unless we are talking about obnoxious abortions like the Galaxy Note.

Maybe a swipe up from the bottom action with the thumb...

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I am fine with how the GNex implements this. What specifically are you unhappy with there out of curiosity? We basically already have something similar with the widgets drop down menu already baked into iOS. I don't hear many complaints about that implementation (maybe I am just looking in the wrong places though). The take home point here is that implementation ideas are not limited to those which you are I are able to come up with. Apple has done some clever things in the past. I think the factor that will hold back getting rid of the physical button has more to do with changing that iconic look of the iPhone.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I loathe the home button. It has never failed, but I find double clicking to get to the cached apps a pain in the backside. I would much prefer some sort of gesture instead of the button.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Similar to how we do it on Android. Or, add gestures like we have in OSX. Think of how you would bring the widgets bar down while in an app in iOS currently. A tap at the top of the screen make the little tab visible. Well, a tap where the home button used to be on the bottom can do the same. Another tap would be the same as pressing the home button.

Or maybe something completely different. I am sure Apple could think of something.

Hopefully something completely different... but that's my point- I've yet to hear of any buttonless solution that would work better than a button.

As for something at the bottom of the screen, I have had, seen, and read about enough issues with people bringing down the current notification tab while in the middle of a game or app that requires large swiping motions. I could only imagine the annoyances that would arise if they added something similar to the bottom of the screen as well.

Gesture based movements would be sure to either interfere with movements already required in an app and be far more difficult than the one handed single button push we already have.

It's not a matter of being a close minded Apple follower or against change (as I'm sure many will accuse me of), I just don't see the point in forcing a change when what we have currently works better and easier than any of the possible solutions.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's not a matter of being a close minded Apple follower or against change (as I'm sure many will accuse me of), I just don't see the point in forcing a change when what we have currently works better and easier than any of the possible solutions.

I guess where I disagree is that a button is worlds better. I honestly know I wouldn't be bothered by getting rid of it. Hell they could even make the bottom of the screen clickable (a la BB storm). And frankly, when we are talking gestures, and talking a game, or using the phone in landcape, we have thrown aside single handed use, so some sort of gesture that require two hands would be acceptable in that orientation. Maybe even a button under the volume down button would work, or perhaps a button on the other side directly opposite volume down. Both are easily reachable regardless of whather you are left or right handed. These are all possibilities, none of which may actually be implemented. But I am not convinced that a button that takes up a good chunk of the bottom of the front of the phone is the most elegant option.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
That's great for when the screen is on. When it's off, you basically have a front that looks dangerously like all of those android phones without a home button. My worry (suspicion) is that Apple wouldn't want that.

I was thinking the same thing. The front will have that button look when the screen is off, no matter what. How they could do it without the wasted space on either side (even if capacitive), I don't know. How about a capacitive home button that comes up like a peninsula in the bottom center, with 2 dock icons on either side. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.