Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
cosmonaut said:
Wow, this is great news, now I will be able to use my legacy Korg Oasys soundcard with its OS9 drivers whilst using Logic 7 on the same machine!!

Any ideas of a release date??

Dont suppose there's any chance of having this feature in the G5 PBs at some point in the future?

It's highly unlikely that you will be able to run OS9 and OSX natively/simultaneously with this feature.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
cosmonaut said:
Wow, this is great news, now I will be able to use my legacy Korg Oasys soundcard with its OS9 drivers whilst using Logic 7 on the same machine!!

Any ideas of a release date??

Dont suppose there's any chance of having this feature in the G5 PBs at some point in the future?

I don't see a dramatic change like that coming any time soon. The next upgrade will be to 3.0 GHz.

When that feature is release, it will be introduced on the Power Mac first. Probably would be our anticipated G6.

Ysean

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
MacNeXT said:
First of all I did not claim NT was stuck to x86. A claimed every version AFTER NT got more and more stuck to x86, because they dropped the multi platform thing. Read again before telling it's an ignorant statement.

It's a FACT that they dropped MIPS, PPC and Alpha. And why on earth would they waste resources in still maintaining MIPS, PPC and Alpha (note: 2 DEAD processors in that list) ports of their products???

And yes I know about HAL, but if I'm not mistaken, there is no such thing in XP, or at least they would have changed its name because it wouldn't be appropriate anymore. And yes I also know W2K/Alpha, in fact I own a copy.

Well MIPS really isn't dead, it just hasn't had much money put into it for the past 3-4 years. SGI still sells MIPS boxes and the processor is used in misc embedded apps. I also recall a foreign company making MIPS boxes as well. In terms of maintaining non-x86 ports it really wouldn't be an issue if they never actually stopped maintaining them. I mean after all very little assembly had been added in the new versions. Almost (if not) everything has been coded in c++. C++ is a rather portable language. I'm not saying they are maintaining the ports. Just that if they never stopped maintaining them internally then releasing a port of whatever current OS would be rather simple.

As for HAL, it's still there in XP. It's just better hidden during install and startup.

Ysean

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
alfismoney said:
Don't forget, Apple released a severely hacked version of the FreeBSD core that is nowhere near as stable as UNIX: there are plenty of power users that lock up their systems all the time with virtual memory traps and hardware freezes that should never (and i do mean NEVER) freeze a unix box. All those deck problems you see running Final Cut? Every piece of terrible arbitrary software that Avid/Digidesigns releases? Video driver issues? Printer crashes? Network errors? All of those come back down to problems at the core level of the operating system which, if it were truly properly written, OS X could run unaffected by.

As for the Linux users not seeing the mac os as an appealing platform, keep in mind that while it's a hacked and buggy version of unix, the mac os still serves as a version of unix that has graphics capabilities. this alone is important enough since everyone wants to be able to use quicktime and windows media (and sometimes little programs like photoshop) no matter what platform they run on. Being able to run two computers in one box has serious benefits if it's done with hardware instead of with software because it removes programming errors from the chart along with providing much faster system performance. trust me, the only way this could be better news for apple is if someone starts placing 4 of these in machines instead of only 2...

Do you honestly believe OS X is a severely hacked BSD? Come on... Would you have called SunOS 1-4x a severely hacked BSD? I mean after all it wasn't fully compatible with Berkeley's BSD but it was a fully licensed code base. And for you linux freaks out there that think SCO Unix (yeah yeah they are on crack with the IP stuff but they still make/made a good product), Solaris, OS X, or AIX aren't *real* UNIX systems you are sorely mistaken. Maybe you should research what makes a BSD/UNIX system what it is. The two are slightly different but mostly the same. Just because a configuration is handled one place instead of another doesn't mean it's improper. As for stability, I can say there are instances where a) the finder freezes for no reason and forces a hard boot and b) system panicks and goes bye bye. I have no idea what causes the first but it should never happen. We rely on finder to be able to fix any problem that may come up with a process. If finder goes stupid a reboot is forced. I honestly think that OS X should provide better access to the command line during start-up. I was fighting with OS X Server for an hour over constant reboots during startup until I remembered how to get to the command line during boot. This shouldn't be an issue, especially on a server OS. Once I was booted into a command line it was a 5 minute fix of a corrupted database. Go figure.

dlisle20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
I'll be able to run windows and OSX!!! so i can use windows for games and os x for video! that's great news!! :D :D :D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
dlisle20 said:
I'll be able to run windows and OSX!!! so i can use windows for games and os x for video! that's great news!! :D :D :D

yes that would be nice to have several paltform's on on computer, but i think that there will be less speed on the xp side since there has to be some kind of emulating for the cpu to run xp

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
1_1.png

just found this link over at AI about a semiconductor company's Macintosh prototype.

/http://www.articasemi.com/page1.htm

Drool!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Platform said:
yes that would be nice to have several platform's on on computer, but i think that there will be less speed on the xp side since there has to be some kind of emulating for the cpu to run xp

I could accept the slower speed on the XP side. Not really big into games. Just think that it would be better that using Virtual PC. Having it all being Apple hardware and software just works better IMHO.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
This feature will not add x86 instruction support to the processor, and therefore will not be useful for running Windows.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
FFTT said:
1_1.png

just found this link over at AI about a semiconductor company's Macintosh prototype.

/http://www.articasemi.com/page1.htm

Drool!
Sweet
hope that PCIe comes very soon as well as DDR2 :D

_Miraculous__

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2005
Linux and MacOs

Would it really be a good idea using both Linux and MacOs... seems how most hackers and viruses are executed by Linux users... kinda makes me leery of using it. Any thoughts?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
There's no way Apple will support another OS on a Mac, period. This would do nothing but dilute the brand and cause a lot of support issues. I know a bit about this technology and, unlike a complete virtual machine approach ala VPC or VMware, the approach being described here requires modification of the guest OS kernel.

_Miraculous__

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2005
Can you tell me about Yellow Dog Linux? Like is it free, and how I could use a seperate partition to use it? And how I can go from OSX to Linux after I have it partitioned? And what are the advantages, can you use Windows programs on Linux? And anything else useful... because I can respond to what you tell me, reading their site online is slightly over my head :)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
~Shard~ said:
Bring on the dual-processor dual-core 3 GHz PowerMacs

The most interesting aspect of the dual-core is the better power management. Full and half speed x one or two cores = 4 speed variations.

I hope that they go for more like 32 speed variations so that the machine can maximize battery life even better than that. It should have a 1/16th speed for each core. For some tasks that is plenty of power. Two cores each at 3GHz / 16 / 2 (cores) = one G4 at 187 MHz. Yes, some of you will say that is too slow to do anything but if you're just doing word processor or email it will do the job.

That could mean much longer battery life on the road. Start listening to iTunes at the same time and it bumps up the the next speed (G4 @ 375MHz) which does the job - my daughter uses a 266MHz iBook with OS X and it runs just fine for most things.

Of course, when you need it the machine could ramp up to two cores at 3GHz and really crank. But you don't need that all the time.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
_Miraculous__ said:
Can you tell me about Yellow Dog Linux? Like is it free, and how I could use a seperate partition to use it? And how I can go from OSX to Linux after I have it partitioned? And what are the advantages, can you use Windows programs on Linux? And anything else useful... because I can respond to what you tell me, reading their site online is slightly over my head :)

Actually you can run OS X and OS X apps on top of Linux right now without needing this CPU.
Check out MaconLinux. It run OS X and OS X apps at almost native speeds ontop of Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.