Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
WoW: Cataclysm, which is what many were thinking to be their next gen MMO, is looking likely to be their next, and possibly last expansion instead..

ah060109bwlimage.jpg

http://www.wow.com/2009/08/10/cataclysm-races-leaked?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_wowinsider

"WoW.com has learned through multiple sources close to the situation some details on the next expansion, to be called World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

As we're getting into the season of news and information, all major leaks and spoilers will be happening after the break. If you don't want your surprises ruined for you, don't read this post. If you want to know, click after the break and enjoy. This policy worked well for us during the testing phase of Wrath of the Lich King and we're pleased to continue it now.

After the break, the new playable races of Cataclysm.

Our sources have told us that the new races of Cataclysm will be:
Worgen – Alliance
Goblin – Horde
This information has been speculated upon by multiple places, and we're pleased that everyone's speculation has turned out to be more or less true.

You can find out more information about the Goblins and Worgen from WoWWiki, as well as from previous articles we've written."

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
*Yawn*

Damn with the new races, concentrate on developing their new MMO. And WoW: Cataclysm is what dip sticks believed to be the next gen MMO. They are developing a new one.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
SWEET I so want to play as a Worgen!

BTW, I highly doubt that Activision/Blizzard will allow WoW to end. The damn thing is more addicting then crack, and it is ungodly profitable for them. I have a feeling, that I'll still be playing WoW when I'm 80.

Don

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
So what happens to the goblin cities then?

Knowing blizz, there will be a previously unknown of isolated goblin group / random goblin group that has problems with the alliance. they'll be like, friendly with current goblin factions and horde, but not friends with alliance. Something ridiculous but half-believable. I mean, i thought death knights were bad guys. look what they did there.

I think the wargen will come from the currently blocked off area south of Silverpine Forest, Gilneas.

Normally i'd say stuff like this is ridiculous but WoW.com has an excellent track record + Blizzcon is like a week away, so it's possible somebody leaked something.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they showed the trailer for Star Trek XII: So Very Tired... :rolleyes:

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
The next expansion is going to need something special to keep my interest, and new races ain't that thing.

Wrath, for me, really was more of the same old grind with more rust and spikes. Northrend has been entertaining enough I suppose, but there's been a real sense of "been there done that" that I didn't get from the previous two iterations.

Still, goblins are pretty awesome.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
SWEET I so want to play as a Worgen!

BTW, I highly doubt that Activision/Blizzard will allow WoW to end. The damn thing is more addicting then crack, and it is ungodly profitable for them. I have a feeling, that I'll still be playing WoW when I'm 80.

Don

What are you now? :)

When you consider the original Everquest had several hundred thousand subscribers and was considered a great success, I imagine WoW continuing until it gets down to something under 1 million subscribers. Is it even possible they could run out of lore to push the game forward, or would they start creating new lore?

Wow.... It's just the same stuff repeated over and over again...

Name a game where there is no repetition factor? :)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Is it even possible they could run out of lore to push the game forward, or would they start creating new lore?

There's a few people who get into the lore, personally I really appreciate it, but the vast majority of high-level WoW players I know either don't even know what "lore" is, or wouldn't miss it much if it disappeared or was degraded. They just want to wear cool armor and hit/blast stuff. Most don't know or care how Arthas became evil, they just know he needs to be killed and he'll probably drop some really cool loot for them.

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
According to unconfirmed info on MMO-Champion, the next expansion will not introduce a new map, but will instead re-vamp Azeroth (the original WoW world) in a plethora of ways, including world-changing events using the phasing that they introduced in Wrath, and having leveling from 80 to 85 be more story driven. Possible spoilers at the site, if you care about that kind of thing.

It sounds cool to me, but I kind of miss the old days and would be interested in re-visiting them. Others probably feel differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.