Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
The new updated Applewatch has been released but my question is relating to next years version. I'm wondering on whether to wait for it? What do you think are the likely upgrades to it?

intofx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
The 2020 update is going to be killer. Complete game changer. All jokes aside the next version will alway be better then the current. Pull the trigger when you want/can buy it and enjoy it. I didn't buy the series 0 when it came out because i wasn't ready to be that early of an adopter. 2 days ago I got the s2 and i love it. The updates weren't game changing but I was ready to buy so I did.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The new updated Applewatch has been released but my question is relating to next years version. I'm wondering on whether to wait for it? What do you think are the likely upgrades to it?

The next likely release of Apple Watch 3 would be March 2018. If they Apple continues on an 18 month schedule.

Possibly micro led, larger screen, and a round variant.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Think the next one will have a cell chip in it, won't interest me as it will just add to an already high Verz bill.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
If you want, or have ever wanted, and can afford the watch buy it now. It will be at least 18 months (my guess is 24 month cycles with a boosted S type version around 12-18 months) before we see a change to the watch.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
If you want, or have ever wanted, and can afford the watch buy it now. It will be at least 18 months (my guess is 24 month cycles with a boosted S type version around 12-18 months) before we see a change to the watch.

18-24 months seems like a good cycle for the Watch.
In the meantime they can release new bands or maybe new edition models with the same hardware.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
18-24 months seems like a good cycle for the Watch.
In the meantime they can release new bands or maybe new edition models with the same hardware.

Exactly my thinking, I simply will not buy a new SS apple watch every 12 months along with a phone (first world problems i know). Keeping it every two years, possibly in line with the non-S phones would be perfect? While in between years they could add new colors or give the cpu/gpu a bump like I believe they did in the series 0 when they released the new ones (as well as new colors like 6 months ago).

I am really hoping for a plethora of new bands, not because I want to collect them all like pokemon, but because it gives hint that they aren't considering changing the adaptor anytime soon. I have said it in many threads before on similar topics, the only reason I will be upset if they release a new look of the watch face that doesn't except the old bands. I just dropped 1200 bucks on the black SS with link and I better be able to use that link for at least 2 generations to come (3 total generations including the current would make the SS link worth the price tag in my opinion).

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I agree with others - If you can find a compelling use case, you should just get it, especially since it's likely on an ~18 month release schedule. I think for many of us, it's been such a disruptive device that we feel we'd have missed out to not have gotten one. For me, it's largely as a fitness device/tracker/personal trainer that has been such a game changer, though obviously the use case is different for different people.

That said, I believe the Series 3 (or perhaps Series 4) will be the version that propels the device into mass adoption territory. Without speculating on likelihood of individual features (always on display, more accurate heart monitor, larger screen, facetime camera, cellular modem, improved Siri/voice control, etc.) it's a near certainty that the Series 3 chipset will be dramatically faster and more energy efficient than the current version.

Edit: Added Siri/voice control to list of potential improvements in S3.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I agree with others - If you can find a compelling use case, you should just get it, especially since it's likely on an ~18 month release schedule. I think for many of us, it's been such a disruptive device that we feel we'd have missed out to not have gotten one. For me, it's largely as a fitness device/tracker/personal trainer that has been such a game changer, though obviously the use case is different for different people.

That said, I believe the Series 3 (or perhaps Series 4) will be the version that propels the device into mass adoption territory. Without speculating on likelihood of individual features (always on display, more accurate heart monitor, larger screen, facetime camera, cellular modem, improved Siri/voice control, etc.) it's a near certainty that the Series 3 chipset will be dramatically faster and more energy efficient than the current version.

Edit: Added Siri/voice control to list of potential improvements in S3.

I have noticed a much larger adoption amongst employees and peers in the business world. Even when forgetting to silence your watch (assuming you don't forgot to silence your phone) the ping you get from any notification is brief enough to not be to disturbing allowing you to then silence it without distracting the room. The first year it was out though, I rarely saw anyone other than me with one.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I actually reckon they will accelerate the updates to yearly. I'd expect a physical redesign in a year. Based purely on a hunch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.