Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
On screen buttons are the way to go.

First don't look at them as using screen space. Look at them as decreasing bezel size. If there was a physical button the bezel would need to be bigger. Personally I'd rather have the screen be bigger and less bezel on the bottom.
Who asked for a physical button?

In any case I don't agree. In my opinion there is no need to see those buttons all the time and less bezel has nothing to do with that. I want a 4.7" screen not 4.5".

Fortunately I see there are several solutions do what I want. I'm really starting to like this. If it was my iPhone I would be SOL waiting for a jailbreak since Apple would never allow that kind of system change.

So you can have your nav buttons and I can make them go away if I don't need 'em. :)

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Who asked for a physical button?

In any case I don't agree. In my opinion there is no need to see those buttons all the time and less bezel has nothing to do with that. I want a 4.7" screen not 4.5".

Fortunately I see there are several solutions do what I want. I'm really starting to like this. If it was my iPhone I would be SOL waiting for a jailbreak since Apple would never allow that kind of system change.

So you can have your nav buttons and I can make them go away if I don't need 'em. :)

Michael

What else is there?

Physical buttons like Apple has or Samsung S3 capacitive and there is on screen like the Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Nexus etc...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
What else is there?

Physical buttons like Apple has or Samsung S3 capacitive and there is on screen like the Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Nexus etc...

I think I wouldn't mind all the buttons being capacitive like on HTC phones I just hate how it is on my S3 with one physical button.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I think I wouldn't mind all the buttons being capacitive like on HTC phones I just hate how it is on my S3 with one physical button.

Just IMO, but if it's capacitive anyway, why not make it software-based? It works the same, but it gains the ability to be context-aware. Win-win?

Sure, you lose a few pixels, but if that really bothers you... this is Android. You can get rid of it :D

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

But the physical button has the advantage that it can be used to wake up the phone. I've never had an Android phone without a physical home button though, so it probably isn't a big deal.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Just IMO, but if it's capacitive anyway, why not make it software-based? It works the same, but it gains the ability to be context-aware. Win-win?

Sure, you lose a few pixels, but if that really bothers you... this is Android. You can get rid of it :D

You're right and I'm pro on screen button but wouldn't mind all capacitive either.

----------

But the physical button has the advantage that it can be used to wake up the phone. I've never had an Android phone without a physical home button though, so it probably isn't a big deal.

That is something I will miss for example when the phone is on the desk and I want to turn the screen on but I just don't like the fact that 2 of the buttons are capacitive and one is physical it feels inconsistent.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
As if you're not enticed enough, here's a gallery from DroidLife: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/12/quick-gallery-nexus-4-and-nexus-10/

She's a beaut...

dsc05055.jpg

Such a simple thing, that goes such a long way...

dsc05057.jpg

Honestly, the bottom bezel doesn't look that big anymore...

dsc05056.jpg

The contoured rubber-like frame is supposed to give it a great grip. Yay for ergonomics...

dsc05048.jpg

How the back will look most of the time, apparently. I really started liking the patterned back once I discovered it was a homage to the original Nexus One wallpaper, but I'm still glad it's subtle.

dsc05051.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Upon closer look, that bumper sure is ugly. It makes me think of the HTC Amaze or something...

----------

What's up with the Play Store offering TINY pictures of their devices and accessories? Why aren't they larger or more hi-res?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Agree re: bumper. Definitely not interested.

And to plant a (possibly nefarious) seed: there were shipping issues at the Nexus 7's launch for people who ordered accessories at the same time they ordered the Nexus 7's.........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.