Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Do share any initial thoughts or comparisons you have to make if you're a new owner. :)

I want issues too, don't want this to turn into a rose tinted circle jerk! :D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Do share any initial thoughts or comparisons you have to make if you're a new owner. :)

I want issues too, don't want this to turn into a rose tinted circle jerk! :D

Will do. I don't have multiple lines so I cannot run it side-by-side with my iPhone 5 but will probably do alternating weeks for month or two so that impressions are still fresh in my mind when I switch over.

I'm letting it get a full charge now but first impression--best materials and feel in hand of ANY Android device I've come across. Really is a beautiful device, especially looking straight at the front with the screen off, a big dark slab--personally love the look.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Ok so i have to say the screen just wow big and sharp :) sorry for the people that its too big lol your just a panty hamster :D

Came almost with no charge so il leave it alone for couple of hrs, great build feel and weights nothing.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Will do. I don't have multiple lines so I cannot run it side-by-side with my iPhone 5 but will probably do alternating weeks for month or two so that impressions are still fresh in my mind when I switch over.

I'm letting it get a full charge now but first impression--best materials and feel in hand of ANY Android device I've come across. Really is a beautiful device, especially looking straight at the front with the screen off, a big dark slab--personally love the look.

How are you going to cope going from nano sim to micro sim? With an adapter?

What a combo to play with, I'm quite jealous really! :D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How are you going to cope going from nano sim to micro sim? With an adapter?

What a combo to play with, I'm quite jealous really! :D

Yes, I'd previously pickup up an adapter to move my sim back and forth between my iPad Mini and iPad 3 but passed on the iPad 3 to the wife who put it on her employer paid mobile plan.

I'm going to stick with stock for a while (though I will unlock the BL and root it) but will eventually start trying out custom ROMs. Anyone have favorites they'd like to recommend? I've used Paranoid Android on my Nexus 7 but it's strength seems to be on the tablet side so I'd like to try a few others, stability being most important.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I am but I can't tell if it's causing a significant battery drain or not.

Ok I am starting to except the fact that I'm a heavy user and just can't get great battery life :-(

----------

I bought the full version too, but also cannot tell if it is draining the battery much. I did turn it off for a day or so and don't recall seeing any battery improvement.

I do notice the light flashing for no reason at times.

Michael

Gotcha, thanks.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Ok I am starting to except the fact that I'm a heavy user and just can't get great battery life :-(

----------

Gotcha, thanks.

Me too man but I'm tweaking with the phone. I under clocked it and I'm using a tweak that works similarly to eco mode on the Optimus G to run on 2 cores.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Me too man but I'm tweaking with the phone. I under clocked it and I'm using a tweak that works similarly to eco mode on the Optimus G to run on 2 cores.

I'm so lazy I don't feel like having to do all that haha. My co worker told me he went 3.5 days this week on a single charge with the note 2. All I could do was LOL.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
The device feels really good, I'm loving the keyboard but hate the vibrate on every single tap lol

Only thing not good so far is that I need to forget about the home button to turn the screen on :D

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm so lazy I don't feel like having to do all that haha. My co worker told me he went 3.5 days this week on a single charge with the note 2. All I could do was LOL.

I can confirm this as well. :D

Down to 10% after 3.5 days with just casual voice, text, email, and web browsing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm enjoying my HSPA+ just fine:

W62o6.png

MyiKj.png

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I can confirm this as well. :D

Down to 10% after 3.5 days with just casual voice, text, email, and web browsing.

Lol he also pulled out the speed test on me. 32 down 17 up. I got 10 up and 1 down. And I was excited about it. Haha I'm carrying my charger all day. That is no fun. I was on the phone a lot though. Sigh.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Lol he also pulled out the speed test on me. 32 down 17 up. I got 10 up and 1 down. And I was excited about it. Haha I'm carrying my charger all day. That is no fun. I was on the phone a lot though. Sigh.

Juiceman, any word on the ear piece buzz and battery drain?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Couple of questions guys, i dont feel the need to google having all these people here :D

How to setup lockscreen widgets, custom etc

Is there any way to put the phone in silent with just 1 tap ? Notifications, phone ring etc everything

If i have the "pattern" security do i loose lockscreen notifications ? When i setup my vpn it demand me to enable a security for the lockscreen so i did.

Regarding browsers, should i stick with chrome or mozilla is better ?

And finally how to setup the notification lights or that option depends on the app?

Thanks guys :eek:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Juiceman, any word on the ear piece buzz and battery drain?

Oh sorry. To be honest I think my battery is the same as my first nexus. No better no worse. And you know what? I think the earpiece buzz is still there. If it's quiet I think I can still hear it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Oh sorry. To be honest I think my battery is the same as my first nexus. No better no worse. And you know what? I think the earpiece buzz is still there. If it's quiet I think I can still hear it.

I've read that it's really not a big deal. Apparently the Galaxy Nexus had it (never knew in all the time I owned it!), as did the 4S, as do/did other devices.

If I never read about the Nexus 4's ear piece buzz online, I would have never ever known about it. You have to put it to your ear to hear it, and you have to listen pretty closely.

My only concern is whether it's drawing battery voltage. My guess is no because it's just feedback, right? I don't know. According to you, no difference, so that's a good sign...

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I've read that it's really not a big deal. Apparently the Galaxy Nexus had it (never knew in all the time I owned it!), as did the 4S, as do/did other devices.

If I never read about the Nexus 4's ear piece buzz online, I would have never ever known about it. You have to put it to your ear to hear it, and you have to listen pretty closely.

My only concern is whether it's drawing battery voltage. My guess is no because it's just feedback, right? I don't know. According to you, no difference, so that's a good sign...

Everyone on macrumors probably thinks I'm picky as hell and I am but if I'm paying for something I would love for it to be right. Anyway... I've noticed something else. When plugged in the LG power brick has a buzzing sound too.

Last night I was going to bed and it was plugged in and I could not figure out what the hell was buzzing. It was the charging brick. What's up with that? Never had that on my other phones. And the ear buzzing I didn't hear on my iphone 5 or on my co workers note 2. Sorry if I'm complaining on here too much but where else has a better community. ;-)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Everyone on macrumors probably thinks I'm picky as hell and I am but if I'm paying for something I would love for it to be right. Anyway... I've noticed something else. When plugged in the LG power brick has a buzzing sound too.

Last night I was going to bed and it was plugged in and I could not figure out what the hell was buzzing. It was the charging brick. What's up with that? Never had that on my other phones. And the ear buzzing I didn't hear on my iphone 5 or on my co workers note 2. Sorry if I'm complaining on here too much but where else has a better community. ;-)

My LG charger sometimes makes an intermittent ticking sound and it's really annoying.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Actually its normal for chargers to do these, some do it more loud than others and it depends at what % is the battery.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Actually its normal for chargers to do these, some do it more loud than others and it depends at what % is the battery.

My Samsung chargers have never made a noise at all and i plug it in every night. Come to think of it, ive never had a charger make noise whether it be my Nokia, Moto, Apple or Samsung chargers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.