Nexus 4 shown working with LTE after simple tweak

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by digital.l0gic, Nov 23, 2012.

1. digital.l0gic macrumors member

Haha I knew this was theoretically possible..but It's really refreshing to see it actually working! awesome work by the XDA Dev community.

PS: Btw Tmobile uses Band 4 for LTE as well! :D

Edited to Add:

Vid of LTE working on N4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GXOY9EVZ4vA#!

2. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

that's amazing. This phone has become even more of a bargain

3. dalbir4444 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Google will disable this in a future patch. I hope not. Although LTE's not very useful for me, this is still great news for other people.

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Anything disabled will be bought back by hackers, I wouldn't worry.

Great news for those that can use this. :cool: What a freebie!

5. cynics, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

cynics macrumors G4

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

7. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Who's excited? Me! I hope we can get this working in the states. I think I may stay on AT&T a little longer just in case.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

When the second batch of phones are posted they're going to go even faster now. :eek:

9. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I'm not that technically gifted, am I seeing this right, dial in a number and take the option of LTE, if there is a signal thats all there is to it?

Not that it matters in the UK for me, I am in a no LTE area, but it would be nice to know.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

More proof that the Nexus 4 will work/be featured with the rumored Google+Dish Network LTE network?

11. dalbir4444 macrumors 6502a

I think that would make the early adopters pretty angry.

Why is this phone still not in stock?:(

12. cynics macrumors G4

Yep. It's accessed in a similar way the test mode is on an iPhone just by dialing a specific number.

13. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Thank you,:) I did access it on my phone but never changed anything, just seems so simple.

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Can they hurry up and drop a VZW and AT&T LTE compatible version?

It's ridiculous that ****ing T-Mobile gets a Nexus, but not the big 2

15. digital.l0gic thread starter macrumors member

It will most definitely work with TMobile's LTE as its Rolling out band 4. Not sure about the others though.

Btw here are some amazing speedtest results.

[​IMG]

The main indicator that this is Truly LTE is the Upload speed. There is absolutely no way HSPA+ would get that upload speed.

The issue is that the Big 2 have been really lackluster in providing updates...usually taking Months to release them..and even add carrier bloatware. This goes against the grain of the Nexus program and I guess Google opted to leave them out due to the fact they were not able to compromise.

However, This is also a very good indication that Google is going to be its own Phone carrier (the Dish+,Google plan).

16. michaeljohn, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

michaeljohn macrumors 6502

I want one for Verizon too but it will never happen. Not only did Google brass claim that not including LTE made the Nexus more cost efficient (read:cheap) this is what Andy Rubin said when asked about it.

“A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven’t scaled completely yet — they’re hybrid networks.. which means the devices needed both radios built into them. When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn’t a great user experience.”

This is just a ridiculous excuse IMO. Why is it that every other high end Android phone can have both GSM and CDMA radios with LTE and perform just fine? :rolleyes: So can the iPhone 5. Bottom line was they were just too cheap to include a fully functioning LTE radio for use with CDMA networks. Full article below.

I also find it amusing that when the iPhone 4s did not include LTE, a removable battery or SD card slot, every Android fan on the planet (including myself) laughed at it and ripped Apple for not including these things. However, the Nexus 4 comes without LTE, a removable battery or an SD card slot and suddenly the lack of these things are ok now. Pot, meet kettle :)

http://www.androidguys.com/2012/10/29/no-lte-for-nexus-4-andy-rubin-explains-why/

17. dalbir4444 macrumors 6502a

There's also an almost 100% price difference between the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5. If the Nexus 4 cost $600 off contract, it would be inexcusable. But that's not the case. For the price, it seems to be a very competitive device, save LTE and low storage. If those are crucial to you, then the N4 is not the phone for you.

18. Sincci macrumors regular

I thought that the reason for not having LTE had something to do with the fact that in most countries LTE actually requires a special SIM card that usually requires a multi year subscription with the operator (and thus making the non-contract phone once again tied with a contract).

19. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

What a ludicrious argument. One phone costs £239, the other is the most over-priced handset on the market

20. michaeljohn macrumors 6502

Sorry but the Nexus 4 is considered a "flagship" device. Its unacceptable and Google is missing out on millions of customers and potential sales by only offering a GSM device. Poor choice by them, it will remain a niche device.

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

How many people are on CDMA worldwide? How many are on GSM?

I'm going to bed so I'm not gonna stay up to argue :p

22. dalbir4444 macrumors 6502a

You've repeated this argument way too many times. Clearly this phone isn't for you. There are other great Android phones that have LTE, removable batteries, and Sd-card slots. If you don't like Android, then you can get an iPhone or a Windows Phone. But repeating the same argument won't make this phone have LTE.

23. michaeljohn macrumors 6502

You never know. Apple finally released a larger iPhone. Maybe if enough people cried about not having a CDMA Nexus 4 they would make one. However, I don't see too many Verizon and Sprint users crying for a Nexus 4. I would like one though :)

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I have to believe that when VoLTE is available, CDMA will be dead and gone in the US.

25. dalbir4444 macrumors 6502a

Maybe someone could open up a petition. That would be a better way of getting their attention.