Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I also find it amusing that when the iPhone 4s did not include LTE, a removable battery or SD card slot, every Android fan on the planet (including myself) laughed at it and ripped Apple for not including these things. However, the Nexus 4 comes without LTE, a removable battery or an SD card slot and suddenly the lack of these things are ok now. Pot, meet kettle :)

You certainly don't think for me. Sweeping generalisations FTL.

Sorry but the Nexus 4 is considered a "flagship" device. Its unacceptable and Google is missing out on millions of customers and potential sales by only offering a GSM device. Poor choice by them, it will remain a niche device.

I've tried to explain it to you before about the licencing issues with the AOSP and CDMA hardware (citing Dan Morrill from the android development team) explaining the reasoning behind it. You've either forgot in your brief hiatus or are choosing not to listen in your quest to antagonise the forum.

Having HSPA+ on my GSM only handset has enabled me to enjoy some of my fastest speed yet on my GSM only nexus here in the UK (peaking out at 20 megabits down on Three's unlimited HSPA+ network). I'm beyond happy with it's performance. The vast majority of the world do not need Sprint or Verizon support in worldwide hardware (you even have GSM options available to you).

All Nexus hardware on CDMA carriers have been *****.
The closed nature of CDMA networks causes issues with AOSP support and updates.
Apple aren't bound by an open source platform when it comes to updating their handsets.
All new Nexus hardware with cellular data/voice are now GSM only.

I doubt that Google will appease your need for CDMA support by incessantly complaining on these boards about it, despite your reasoning above.

Write to Google. Email LG. Tweet Andy Rubin. Or enjoy your CDMA/LTE iPhone.
Above all else,
deal%2Bwith%2Bit.gif

You're whining to the wrong people really. Not that I think that will stop you myself.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I want one for Verizon too but it will never happen. Not only did Google brass claim that not including LTE made the Nexus more cost efficient (read:cheap) this is what Andy Rubin said when asked about it.

“A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven’t scaled completely yet — they’re hybrid networks.. which means the devices needed both radios built into them. When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn’t a great user experience.”

This is just a ridiculous excuse IMO. Why is it that every other high end Android phone can have both GSM and CDMA radios with LTE and perform just fine? :rolleyes: So can the iPhone 5. Bottom line was they were just too cheap to include a fully functioning LTE radio for use with CDMA networks. Full article below.

I also find it amusing that when the iPhone 4s did not include LTE, a removable battery or SD card slot, every Android fan on the planet (including myself) laughed at it and ripped Apple for not including these things. However, the Nexus 4 comes without LTE, a removable battery or an SD card slot and suddenly the lack of these things are ok now. Pot, meet kettle :)

http://www.androidguys.com/2012/10/29/no-lte-for-nexus-4-andy-rubin-explains-why/

Don't be confused, the iPhone has a single antenna. Its the only LTE phone on verizons network that can't do LTE data and voice simultaneously.

The Nexus 4 is exactly how Google wants it. A single world phone. There are 3 iPhone 5's that apple produces mostly due to LTE fragmentation (GSM model A1428 that supports LTE Bands 4 and 17; GSM model A1429 that supports LTE Bands 1, 3, and 5; and CDMA model A1429 that supports LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25). Until there is a chip that supports all LTE bands you won't see an LTE nexus not after the mess with the GNex. There are other high end Android devices if you don't want a developers phone or need LTE....

Really don't understand why that's so hard to understand.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This is what I'm pulling down on my nexus right now.

299033854.png

More than adequate, LTE or no LTE. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-24-03-45-34.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-24-03-45-34.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 91

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Michaeljohn, the question you ask has been answered many times by multiple users, in multiple threads.

Every time you invoke the argument of no LTE, you're demonstrating your ignorance and misunderstanding about the Nexus program and what Google is trying to do. It's abundantly clear you're trying to incite argument, and not genuinely interested in the answer.

And we're all falling for it.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Sorry but the Nexus 4 is considered a "flagship" device. Its unacceptable and Google is missing out on millions of customers and potential sales by only offering a GSM device. Poor choice by them, it will remain a niche device.

but it does have LTE so what's the issue

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

You're absolutely right. Google should hire you immediately since you clearly know much more about the market for the Nexus than Google's own executives.

Indeed, Google is missing out on millions of sales.

ScreenShot2012-11-24at124145PM.png

Yep, looks like the N4 is freely available and ready for immediate shipping from Google Play. All those unpurchased devices sitting in warehouses must be haunting Google's execs every night.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This is what I'm pulling down on my nexus right now.

More than adequate, LTE or no LTE. :D

North American HSPA+ networks come no where close to that :(

----------

You're absolutely right. Google should hire you immediately since you clearly know much more about the market for the Nexus than Google's own executives.

I think it's pretty funny that all Android fanboys were thrashing Apple for going with a glass design on the iPhone 4 and having no LTE on the 4S. Let's not forget no expandable memory on any iPhone.

But when the Nexus 4 came out, it has a glass front and back, no LTE, no SD card slot, and all of those idiots seem to think the Nexus 4 is the best phone on the market.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
I think it's pretty funny that all Android fanboys were thrashing Apple for going with a glass design on the iPhone 4 and having no LTE on the 4S. Let's not forget no expandable memory on any iPhone.

But when the Nexus 4 came out, it has a glass front and back, no LTE, no SD card slot, and all of those idiots seem to think the Nexus 4 is the best phone on the market.

To be honest, I don't think the glass back is a selling point on the Nexus 4 devices, the price is (and the fact that you can get it without any contract). Also, the lack of SD card slot was no surprise since no Nexus device since the Nexus One has had one of those. Anyway, afaik currently there aren't any SoC's out there that support all the US/Canada, EU, Australia etc bands without having the LTE radio on a separate chip which sucks a lot of battery, so not having a proper LTE support is fine for me until the technology matures a bit more. Kinda wish that Apple would have waited for that a bit longer too since currently only the LTE 1800Mhz is not enough in most european countries.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

How do you know that it's the same people that were thrashing the iPhone 4 are the ones claiming that the N4 is the best phone? I guess you can make up anything to prove a point. There are plenty of Android fans that complained about these issues before and continue to do so now.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

No one is back peddling on LTE or glass. In fact, there's already been stories of the Nexus 4 glass cracking due to a variety of reasons. No one is suddenly in love with glass as much as they are grateful Google is taking a more premium direction with builds.

As for LTE... this isn't an equivalent comparison. You can still get LTE on an Android device. The difference with the iPhone 4S was that that was all you got. If you wanted LTE on an iOS device, at the time, you were out of luck. This isn't the case with the Nexus 4. It's not like LTE is suddenly gone from Android and people are pretending it's not needed. In fact, many have stated they hope Google finds a way to get carrier-specific and therefore LTE capable versions (either with the main carriers, or through starting up their own carrier with Dish's LTE spectrum).

That's why it's a bigger fuss when Apple doesn't do something. That's the end of the story. What Apple offers is all you get if you desire an iOS device. If you desire Android and LTE, there are plenty of options out there. Ditto SD expansion, removable batteries, and everything else one might deem missing from the Nexus. Android offers choice. The choices aren't always easy to make, but hard choices are better than no choices.

Till this day, the iPhone doesn't have a notification light. Those who want it are going to criticize Apple much more harshly than say a future Android device that omitted the notification light. Why? Because you have other Android devices that do offer it. Just an example.

There's no point in equating the two scenarios like they're the same.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

----------

Actually if you looked on Android forums you'll see a lot of Android die hards don't like the N4 because of the reasons you listed. What's the word for someone that has a preconceived opinion that's not based on reason or experience? The word escapes me right now....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.