Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
6P is identical to the 6S+. Maybe less than 1 cm taller. Smaller bezels are always nice, but so are front facing stereo speakers. And a bit of bezel makes it easier to hold a big phone, especially in landscape.

I'm not arguing for or against the size...I personally have no problem with it as my other phone is a 6s+. I'm just making reference to previous comments severely critical of the size/bezels of the 6s+ yet the 6P has, as you pointed out, nearly identical dimensions. ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So you don't have a problem with the size of the phone? I just recall seeing quite a few size comparisons of the 6s+ to the S7 edge, two devices with same size display and lots of criticisms directed at the 6s+. Yet the 6P is even bigger than the 6s+....
Oh I think the 6P a big phone and have said so numerous times. Hopefull the 7P (if there is one and it is named that) will be a bit smaller. But at the same time the 6p has a 5.7 inch display and the 6s+ has a 5.5 inch display and they are basically the same size....
66005449b90341e64feb769f0ee26708.jpg

[doublepost=1461860621][/doublepost]
I'm not arguing for or against the size...I personally have no problem with it as my other phone is a 6s+. I'm just making reference to previous comments severely critical of the size/bezels of the 6s+ yet the 6P has, as you pointed out, nearly identical dimensions. ;)
yep....6p and 6s+ basically the same size but the 6p has a bigger display and front facing speakers to make use of that size :)

Reactions: arkitect

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Oh I think the 6P a big phone and have said so numerous times. Hopefull the 7P (if there is one and it is named that) will be a bit smaller. But at the same time the 6p has a 5.7 inch display and the 6s+ has a 5.5 inch display and they are basically the same size....
66005449b90341e64feb769f0ee26708.jpg

[doublepost=1461860621][/doublepost]
yep....6p and 6s+ basically the same size but the 6p has a bigger display and front facing speakers to make use of that size :)

How about a comparison of displays when 6P has its onscreen soft keys? The Nexus 6P has a larger display yet under most types of usage, smaller usable space than the iPhone. ;) So overall 1mm longer yet almost 5mm less usable display (measuring vertically). But the front facing speakers are nice, for sure.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How about a comparison of displays when 6P has its onscreen soft keys? The Nexus 6P has a larger display yet under most types of usage, smaller usable space than the iPhone. ;) So overall 1mm longer yet almost 5mm less usable display (measuring vertically). But the front facing speakers are nice, for sure.
You're missing the point on purpose I think. The bezels on the iPhone are huge and serve no purpose. It is wasted space. The 6p with a larger display and speakers are in..... fore the most part the same size phone.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
You're missing the point on purpose I think. The bezels on the iPhone are huge and serve no purpose. It is wasted space. The 6p with a larger display and speakers are in..... fore the most part the same size phone.

I was going to defend it and blame the battery and the thinness as a reason for the bezels, but the Note 5 has a bigger screen, bigger battery, an spen sticking in there, and still manages to have less bezels (and only .3 mm thicker to boot!). :)

Reactions: jamezr

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
6P is identical to the 6S+. Maybe less than 1 cm taller. Smaller bezels are always nice, but so are front facing stereo speakers. And a bit of bezel makes it easier to hold a big phone, especially in landscape.
1mm taller with ff speakers and a .2'' larger screen. The 6p has a much better screen to body ratio.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
When consuming media the keys go into immersive mode such as playing games or watching video.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

I beg to differ. The Nexus 6 had front-facing speakers and tiny bezels. The 6 is about the same height as the 6 but with a smaller screen. I think to me that counts as wasted space. And The iPhone has a home button, which I'd prefer any day to the janky software buttons on some android phones. And also, it actually serves as a functional fingerprint scanner, unlike with the Galaxies where it always works 2nd or 3rd time.

Of course, this is all opinion based. And I'm not promoting the huge bezels on the iPhone, I just like what they provide. I really hope they find a solution in the future, with 3D Touch and cover glass technologies I hope they could embed the home button into the screen.

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I beg to differ. The Nexus 6 had front-facing speakers and tiny bezels. The 6 is about the same height as the 6 but with a smaller screen. I think to me that counts as wasted space. And The iPhone has a home button, which I'd prefer any day to the janky software buttons on some android phones. And also, it actually serves as a functional fingerprint scanner, unlike with the Galaxies where it always works 2nd or 3rd time.

Of course, this is all opinion based. And I'm not promoting the huge bezels on the iPhone, I just like what they provide. I really hope they find a solution in the future, with 3D Touch and cover glass technologies I hope they could embed the home button into the screen.
I think what you're saying is different than wasted space on the bezels. The wasted space on the bezels has nothing to do with liking the iphone overall or any other features it has to offer. The bezels on my 6s+ are wasted space....they could easily add capacitive buttons on both sides of the FP scanner or speakers. The 6P is more space efficient than the iphone with a larger screen and front facing speakers.
Since you brought up the Galaxy phones.....there is no comparison when talking about space efficiency and overall phone size. the S7 edge wins hands down with the same size 5.5 screen on a much much smaller overall footprint.

I agree that round FP scanners are more efficient. I think they read FPs faster and more accurate. I would rate the 6P FP scanner just as good as my 6s+ or maybe a notch above it. I don't have to press it to wake/unlock the 6P. I would prefer FP scanners on the front. Can't wait until someone puts them on the display somehow.
But now we are just into personal preferences and we all have different preferences.....

Reactions: arkitect

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It's definitely a valid point, although tempered by the presence of the front facing speakers. Although the technology exists to put those speakers behind the screen, look how nice Sharp made the Aquos by putting the earspeaker behind the screen. That's why I don't put much credence into the huge bezel being useful because of the speakers.

When I put my 6p next to my Note 5 the 6p looks comical in proportions. Seriously, bezels really need to be the next frontier, with corresponding software for touch rejection. Keeping a large screen, yet slimming down the physical size of a phone is HUGE.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The more I learn about the HTC 10, the more I can't wait for the HTC nexus this year. I really hope they nail it.
I am caurioisly optimistic about a HTC Nexus phone. Some first reviews on the 10 report battery issues and camera not quite as advertised. Hope that doesn't mean the same for an HTC Nexus phone.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Unfortunately this seems to be an annual mantra for Nexus phones. This past year got us closer but still not there yet, IMHO.

I am caurioisly optimistic about a HTC Nexus phone. Some first reviews on the 10 report battery issues and camera not quite as advertised. Hope that doesn't mean the same for an HTC Nexus phone.

100% with you both.

Reactions: jamezr

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015

I don't think it is cautious, it is realistic. I expect less for the Nexus honestly. Unless they come out at the same price point as the HTC 10, and nobody wants that. If they re-use Nexus imprint, keep front speakers, same camera sensors as the 6p, but in a body like the HTC 10 with SD 820 (830?).... that would be a win for me. Removable storage will be gone. Likely Boomsound, OIS (in the front at least) gone as well. Hopefully they gain OIS it in the back. Video is by far the worst part about the 6P camera. It is almost unusable.

And I disagree with the camera and battery not as advertised in the HTC 10, they seem great from what I have seen.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Why would Google remove expandable storage? Isn't it native to Android now?

They don't have expandable storage in the Nexus line anymore.

Perhaps Google adds it back but they seem pretty resistant to the idea for Nexus. Google likes you using cloud storage services, and it likely cuts back on costs too. At least in hardware, they have moved away from it.

And yes, Android has adoptable storage natively which the HTC 10 is using.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
They don't have expandable storage in the Nexus line anymore.

Perhaps Google adds it back but they seem pretty resistant to the idea for Nexus. Google likes you using cloud storage services, and it likely cuts back on costs too. At least in hardware, they have moved away from it.

And yes, Android has adoptable storage natively which the HTC 10 is using.

I hope Google doesn't make HTC cut out expandable storage.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015

Sure I would like to have it, not a dealbreaker at all though for me. But it is a Google phone, not HTC. They won't make HTC cut anything, as they are building a new phone. And Google has control over the design.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Sure I would like to have it, not a dealbreaker at all though for me. But it is a Google phone, not HTC. They won't make HTC cut anything, as they are building a new phone. And Google has control over the design.

If Google doesn't want expandable storage, the Nexus devices should have more and higher storage options available.

It'll be disappointing if it's only 16GB or 32GB options with no expandable storage feature.

I don't understand why they'd build in adoptable storage native to Android, but not people take advantage of that in their own Nexus lineup. Forcing cloud storage would be a shame.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
If Google doesn't want expandable storage, the Nexus devices should have more and higher storage options available.

It'll be disappointing if it's only 16GB or 32GB options with no expandable storage feature.

I don't understand why they'd build in adoptable storage native to Android, but not people take advantage of that in their own Nexus lineup. Forcing cloud storage would be a shame.

32GB, 64GB and 128GB in the Nexus 6P. Likely primary reason is Google sells cloud and streaming services. No SD card supports that. Google also runs a mobile service provider now (Project Fi), that only supports Nexus. Less local storage means more mobile data revenue.

They removed it back in 2011 I think?? Shouldn't be an issue or a surprise if the next version doesn't have it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And I disagree with the camera and battery not as advertised in the HTC 10, they seem great from what I have seen.
HTC announced 2 day battery life and it is on their website as well. At XDA and Android Authority reviews they all say they get 4-5 hours SOT. That's quite a difference.

As Josh discovered in our HTC 10 review, the battery offers 4-5 hours of screen-on time on average and in my personal usage, I would say it’s around this figure. Actual battery life does vary wildly and sometimes HTC’s own additions can hinder the battery life: an example of why the video playback time may be lower than other devices is that BoomSound kicks in when playing media in any app and this – naturally – does have an effect on battery life.
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-10-battery-life-review-689418/

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-10-battery/

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
HTC announced 2 day battery life and it is on their website as well. At XDA and Android Authority reviews they all say they get 4-5 hours SOT. That's quite a difference.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-10-battery-life-review-689418/

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-10-battery/

* Battery life may vary based on cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configurations, phone usage, and many other factors. Actual results may vary.

And Apple does it every single release. Can't take a statement like that for anything. I am sure you can get two days if you turn all radios off and leave the screen on dim as possible with an e-reader.

4-5 hours SOT would be two days for me given doze is running properly.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

I really doubt Google will bend here. This is why I was such a fan of the gpe program. Nexus software and updates with 'no compromise' hardware. Just like how they will likely never let you choose between capacitive and on screen buttons. Just doesn't fit their vision of Android I guess. Would love to be surprised though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.