Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
* Battery life may vary based on cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configurations, phone usage, and many other factors. Actual results may vary.

And Apple does it every single release. Can't take a statement like that for anything. I am sure you can get two days if you turn all radios off and leave the screen on dim as possible with an e-reader.

4-5 hours SOT would be two days for me given doze is running properly.
That is decent battery life for sure. The reviews I read and from XDA people that have the phone already say that battery life was not as expected. Great saome days and horrible the next.

Bottom line: Expect battery life that's passable — decent, even — but nothing spectacular. Certainly nothing near the two days HTC claims in its marketing material (which undoubtedly makes heavy use of the software-enabled power-saving features.) Even so, the bonus of rapid charging with the bundled plug makes it easier than ever to translate a brief time on charge to a meaningful boost in battery level.
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
That is decent battery life for sure. The reviews I read and from XDA people that have the phone already say that battery life was not as expected. Great saome days and horrible the next.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10

Yeah, Anandtech went into some good initial exploration as to why there is such variation:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10252/htc-10-battery-storage-results

Different binned SOCs plays a big culprit, but it should be about the same as the S7. I don't find that particularly disappointing, seems par for the course these days. Better would have always been awesome of course, and perhaps the marketing team went a little crazy with claims. But that is what they do :)

Whatever the case, overall battery life between the Galaxy S7 and HTC 10 are going to be similar, although how similar is going to be workload dependent and the bin of the SoC you end up getting.

Reactions: jamezr

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
While not perfect, I must say my Nexus 6P is simply stellar.

As one who greatly prefers the speed and reliability of on screen capacitive buttons, along with the spacious 5.7" display, it's version 6.x.x Marshmallow that seals the deal.

So close to my ideal smartphone, it's just delightful.

Give me a slightly larger battery, a gorgeous 6.0" display in a compact body like the 6P and I'm in Smartphone NerdVana :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
HTC announced 2 day battery life and it is on their website as well. At XDA and Android Authority reviews they all say they get 4-5 hours SOT. That's quite a difference.

2 day battery life doesn't mean same thing as SOT.

It's likely they are basing that statement on an arbitrary statistic about the average daily usage of the general consumer.

They most certainly are not claiming 48 hours SOT.

Indeed even Sony claim a similar 2 day battery life with the Z3 & Z5 and it would average out at around 4hrs SOT too, so HTC aren't the only ones using this murky marketing 'metric' ....

Indeed most would be able to claim similar ...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My only gripe with the 6P was the colour cast of the amoled screen. I found its white balance very off and relying on third party calibration tools to fix it never produced as good results as a properly calibrated screen, plus they often interfere with system notifications.

Hopefully HTC can resolve this, it will be interesting to see if they go Super LCD or Amoled ...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
While not perfect, I must say my Nexus 6P is simply stellar.

As one who greatly prefers the speed and reliability of on screen capacitive buttons, along with the spacious 5.7" display, it's version 6.x.x Marshmallow that seals the deal.

So close to my ideal smartphone, it's just delightful.

Give me a slightly larger battery, a gorgeous 6.0" display in a compact body like the 6P and I'm in Smartphone NerdVana :D
If you liked the 6P but wanted a 6 inch screen. Then you will LOVE Huawei Mate 8! It has a 6 inch display and 4000 mAh battery. I had one and could get 12-14 hours SOT and 48 hours in between charges. It has a SD Card slot and a great camera.
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_8-7239.php

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
If you liked the 6P but wanted a 6 inch screen. Then you will LOVE Huawei Mate 8! It has a 6 inch display and 4000 mAh battery. I had one and could get 12-14 hours SOT and 48 hours in between charges. It has a SD Card slot and a great camera.
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_8-7239.php
Stop Already :D :D :D

Way beyond help...

Severely Addicted to Mac Laptops and Smartphones, I've tried to resist the Mate 8.

But alas, my finger just slipped on the buy it with "one click" button on Amazon... Oops!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Stop Already :D :D :D

Way beyond help...

Severely Addicted to Mac Laptops and Smartphones, I've tried to resist the Mate 8.

But alas, my finger just slipped on the buy it with "one click" button on Amazon... Oops!
lol....we have to start our own phone addicts support group. But instead we would not stop people from buying phones but encourage them! Look forward to reading your thoughts on the Mate 8 :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If the 2016 HTC Nexus really ends up being everything I'm hoping it'll be, I may have to give up JOD with Tmobile.

I really can't wait.

Reactions: maxsix

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If the 2016 HTC Nexus really ends up being everything I'm hoping it'll be, I may have to give up JOD with Tmobile.

I really can't wait.

Let me preface that I'm not trolling you...asking a question with genuine interest in the response.

What about the possible HTC Nexus is more appealing than the S7 edge you're rocking now? I've seen you make the comment (I'm paraphrasing) that the S7e is near perfect, offering the first worry free experience on a smartphone. You seem to really prefer TW over stock, it has great battery life, the best display on a smartphone, a design that seems to truly appeal to you, fast AND wireless charging, arguably the best camera experience on a smartphone, expandable storage. I can almost guarantee any upcoming Nexus won't have many of these.

What's missing then?

Reactions: epicrayban

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
My only gripe with the 6P was the colour cast of the amoled screen. I found its white balance very off and relying on third party calibration tools to fix it never produced as good results as a properly calibrated screen, plus they often interfere with system notifications.

Hopefully HTC can resolve this, it will be interesting to see if they go Super LCD or Amoled ...

My main gripe is they could have squeezed more screen in, or reduced the physical size. My 6p is quite a bit larger than my note 5 when side by side. Gripes also include lack of wireless charging, no removable storage, no OIS. Similar gripes to the HTC 10, at least with bezel size and wireless charging.

I hate that Nexus devices are always a compromise. I hope this time they release 2 models, an uncompromised flagship with a price to match, and a cheaper middle of the road variant. I'd be happy with the 6p same physical size, larger screen and wireless charging, heck they can reuse the same hardware and I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Let me preface that I'm not trolling you...asking a question with genuine interest in the response.

What about the possible HTC Nexus is more appealing than the S7 edge you're rocking now? I've seen you make the comment (I'm paraphrasing) that the S7e is near perfect, offering the first worry free experience on a smartphone. You seem to really prefer TW over stock, it has great battery life, the best display on a smartphone, a design that seems to truly appeal to you, fast AND wireless charging, arguably the best camera experience on a smartphone, expandable storage. I can almost guarantee any upcoming Nexus won't have many of these.

What's missing then?

No probs. Happy to answer. I'll just answer quickly so apologies if this is a bit messy...

I think I've mentioned a few times that the combination of HTC design and build, plus Android N now finally adding some of those useful features in TW that I've enjoyed can be a brilliant combination. Is it a guarantee buy and a guarantee S7E combo breaker? Well, no. Am I super excited about the potential of this? Absolutely. And, as I've said before, if Google/HTC somehow figure out a way to add wireless charging (the tech exists) or at the very least, waterproofing (cause I think this is more important), then that really eliminates some of the S7E main hardware advantages.

I'm sure you've read my posts saying that I think that currently the HTC 10 and S7/Edge are the top two best Android flagship options out there. They are perfect counter options to each other, each having a few specific and key advantages in hardware and software that the other doesn't have. Imagine if some of those advantages can come together in a single package, sold unlocked and at a reasonable price?

And I've also always said I wish Samsung figured out a way to get rid of the physical home button. I'm a fan of capacitive and/or on-screen buttons. I think I'm willing to adopt a back-sided fingerprint scanner if it means a truly clean front. I've also said bloatware is no fun so Android N has the potential to get me all or most of the TW features that I like, but minus the bloatware. And then updates from Google? No elaboration needed there.

Yes, I happen to love glass design phones, but I can still appreciate what HTC has done with the HTC 10. I'm looking forward to trying it out in person when they become available in the next few days/weeks. Maybe my opinion will change, but I've grown to really appreciate what HTC has done here. Improved Boomspeakers (or maybe front firing Boomspeakers will make a return to the Nexus device?) would be nice, too.

Of course, the HTC Nexus' camera will have to be up to par. Nexus 5X and 6P, and the HTC 10 itself, show great promise that both Google and HTC can figure out how to put out a camera that can match Samsung/Apple. If they fail here, the decision will be much harder as I do value the camera experience. And yes, you mention expandable storage. If this is missing AND Google refuses to offer larger/more storage options, then yes, that may be a dealbreaker, too.

So the point is... yes, the S7 Edge is by far the greatest and most worry-free smartphone I've owned, but it is not without areas it can improve on, and I've said as much in other threads. And the HTC Nexus is by no means a guarantee buy. It's more about the potential: An unlocked phone, free of carrier shenanigans, with direct updates from Google, reasonably priced; plus the hardware prowess of HTC and the new software features of Android N. It could be a killer phone.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
While we are dueling smartphones:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...ola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015/phones/9587,9694

Moto X Pure won out for me over the Nexus 6P, more screen real estate and IPS LCD and better price.

Wow that's a tough choice. Form factor the X is shorter, but also quite a bit thicker, almost half again as thick. No FP sensor and IPS display are downers though, although the X has OIS which is nice. I'm excited to see what the 2016 X is like.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Wow that's a tough choice. Form factor the X is shorter, but also quite a bit thicker, almost half again as thick. No FP sensor and IPS display are downers though, although the X has OIS which is nice. I'm excited to see what the 2016 X is like.
What's interesting is that even with OIS video is only mildly better and the photos are not as good under any lighting circumstances, with an even higher degree of disparity in low light.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Curious what the naming schemes will be considering how confusing it has become between the Nexus smartphones and Nexus tablets. Can't call it Nexus 9 because HTC already made a tablet with that name. Even if Google did, what will the smaller one be called? And if the number is based on screen size, how come the 6P only has "5.7?

But I truly believe returning to HTC and having the most stable Android version since KitKat will make 2016 Nexi worth getting this year. The multi-window feature is a true highlight of Android N. I do miss BoomSound and the grilled dual speakers but I figured HTC didn't want to rehash that design with their flagship for a fourth consecutive year.

I don't find HTC as an overall brand as good as LG or the recent Huawei. From build quality and audio, HTC is probably still superior than the previous four Nexus OEMs though. Hoping for some solid additions to Nexus history while going back to the pioneering OEM who did first for Android with the G1/Dream and Nexus One/Passion...

2010: HTC - Nexus One
2010: Samsung - Nexus S
2011: Samsung - Galaxy Nexus
2012: LG - Nexus 4
2013: LG - Nexus 5
2014: Motorola - Nexus 6
2015: Huawei - Nexus 6P
2015: LG - Nexus 5X
2016: HTC - Nexus ??
2016: HTC - Nexus ??

The best design to me still comes from the Nexus One by HTC. But best overall Nexi are the 6P and 6. The Huawei and Motorola phablet ones even if their size and price turned off some. Why? Because they didn't suffer having poor camera and short battery life like the majority of them. I would hate going back to any Nexus smartphone that was released before 2014 with their washed out screens, poor build quality, bad cameras, short battery life, etc.

I think a $200 Huawei Honor 5X and $100 ZTE Zmax 2 are superior to use than a Nexus 4 and 5. The Nexus 6 series are the only pair that aged the best and it isn't based solely on their SoC. Isn't it kinda pathetic a $30 Lumia 640 can snap better photos than a Nexus 4 and 5 ever did? And it has louder speakers, better reception, and longer battery life with micro-sd slot and removable battery to boot. Other than SoC, budget phones of today are outclassing Nexus flagships from a few years ago in several hardware areas.

Honestly, I would love if HTC recycled the same exact design of the One M7 the way Apple did with the SE. If Apple can use the same design three times, why can't HTC? Perhaps the M7 remake is the smaller, cheaper Nexus. But not at the risk of overheating, poor camera, and poor battery life that the first five Nexus smartphones suffered from that were released pre-2014.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Waterproofing is my primary wish provided that camera is at least as good as on the 6P. Couple that with wireless charging and we've got a deal.

Hopefully by then, the new Nexus camera will be much better than the 6P, which will be almost a year old by the time the Nexus N comes to fruition.

Agree with everything else.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Hopefully by then, the new Nexus camera will be much better than the 6P, which will be almost a year old by the time the Nexus N comes to fruition.

Agree with everything else.

Of course I'd like to have an improved camera as well, but if they keep it at least as good as it is now and add waterproofing, I'd be tempted to upgrade. Even more so if also the camera improves.

Reactions: epicrayban
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.