Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerMe

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
Smooth?

You guys crack me up. "a few hiccups in an otherwise smooth release". You think people getting duplicate charges is a "hiccup"? Wonder how you'd feel if one of those hiccups was a $5000 item and the duplicate brought you over your credit limit and screwed your card.

Right...smooth with just "a few hiccups".

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Conceivably, it could expand the number of outlets that take Apple Pay from around 40 to anyone selling stuff who owns the latest iPad.

40? Are we maybe missing a "million" somewhere in this quote? :D

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What distribution limitations?

Not so much at the terminal end as at the bank end. I called two of my local banks to ask if they support Apple Pay on their debit cards. One said, "No, but we're looking into it." The other said, "No, and we have no interest."

I'd rather use my debit card than my credit card, and Apple Pay would be much more secure. But if the local banks don't get on board, that will seriously limit its adoption.

snowweasel

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
The best explanation I have heard is that it is where the secure element for apple pay is housed which is why it is there but no antenna. If this is the case however, the iPad mini 3 will also have the chip. Has ifixit torn that one down yet?

Yes, they did, and yes, it has a NFC chip as well.

aduzik

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
The secure element, which is where the encrypted payment data is stored for Apple Pay, is part of the NFC chip. Without an antenna the chip can't be used for NFC payments.

I had wondered when they said Apple Pay was going to be on the iPad Air if that meant they were including an NFC chip or if they were using some other specialized "secure element-only" chip. It seems we have our answer.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Throw these big cash registers in the garbage and buy an iPad instead.

Way less expensive than these big boxes, the software is usually much more polished, there's no lag, etc... I can't even see a disadvantage out of this move.

I hope this is true :apple:

snowweasel

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
You guys crack me up. "a few hiccups in an otherwise smooth release". You think people getting duplicate charges is a "hiccup"? Wonder how you'd feel if one of those hiccups was a $5000 item and the duplicate brought you over your credit limit and screwed your card.

Right...smooth with just "a few hiccups".

That was on the payment processor's end, and has been caught & fixed. Chase explicitly said it wasn't anything on apple's end that caused the issue. I have been double charged before when using a regular magnetic card. It's a tiny bit of hassle, but usually easily rectified.

Dave532

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
In the north east of England, Nexus (they used the name since 1996 so not a Google reference) give their ticket inspectors NFC enabled Android phones in order to check passengers smartcard tickets.

Obviously as NFC in the iPhone is currently limited to Apple Pay it means they can't use iPhones for the same purpose, but in future perhaps it will be possible.

Anyway, there's nothing to stop an iPad with NFC capabilities being used both to accept Apple pay, contactless credit cards, Google Wallet and any other NFC cards the retailer accepts if Apple wants to allow that functionality.

Basically any NFC enabled card could then be accepted without any additional hardware and in some countries that would be sufficient for most customers. Areas where NFC penetration is low could add a chip and PIN or swipe reader in addition to this.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Where does the Secure Enclave information get stored?
How do the unique credit card transaction tokens get generated?
By this discovered hardware? The iPad mini 3 also has this chip.

Last edited:

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Gotta wonder how Square feels about this. On the one hand, it's direct competition, but on the other hand, it's its only vector into the marketplace becoming a more attractive form of cash register...

Gotta wonder how Square feels about this. On the one hand, it's direct competition, but on the other hand, it's its only vector into the marketplace becoming a more attractive form of cash register...

I think you are confused. This will help Square add Apple Pay to all its retailers. This is huge. The vendors would be required to replace there old iPad, with this new one and bam...now they accept Apple Pay in addition to swipes.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Nonsense.

NFC by itself doesn't help small businesses at all. They'd still need a credit card reader, so there's no point. Maybe when the iPad Air 20 comes out decades from now, NFC might be all the hardware you need. I guess small businesses can store their old iPad Air 2's in a back room someplace and whip them out at that point. But I have a feeling there won't be many options for POS that will run on them in 2033.

I disagree. I have previously speculated that NFC-equipped iPads could enable device-to-device Apple Pay transactions.

In doing so, they could cut out Square and other third party payment systems entirely. This would be huge for small businesses (food trucks, farmers markets, etc).

snowweasel

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Continually surprising me is that cellular iPads have all the hardware to make voice calls, but won't.

B

For that matter, I don't really know why they don't bring everything up to par w/ iPhone- put in vibrator motor, use the current gen camera instead of last gen (focus pixels?), go ahead and put NFC antenna in so it *could* be used like this in the future (and for in store Apple pay now)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Care to elaborate on your sensationalized post?

Elaborate on what? I worked at Best Buy - that POS system was so archaic and heavy.

Why do you think it's taken so long for the US to FINALLY switch over to new forms of payment (specifically chip-and-pin)? Our retailers are so large and take so long to adopt new technologies it leaves us behind other countries.

Glad things are finally accelerating.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Continually surprising me is that cellular iPads have all the hardware to make voice calls, but won't.

B

With the move towards VoLTE, the distinction between voice and data has blurred to the point that now the networks have to do extra work to special-case the billing of voice calls.

My childrens' children will never be issued a phone number.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
What about the iPad mini?

According to this article the Mini 3 has the NFC chip.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/24/teard...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

Chips and other components found in the iPad mini 3 that aren’t listed by Apple include:

- Apple A7 APL0698 SoC
- SK Hynix H9CKNNN8KTARKR 1 GB LPDDR3 DRAM
- SK Hynix H2JTDG8UD1BMR 16 GB NAND Flash
- Universal Scientific Industrial 339S0213 Wi-Fi Module
- Apple 343S00004-A1
- NXP Semiconductors 65V10 NFC Controller
- NXP Semiconductors LPC18A1 (Apple M7 Motion Co-Processor)
- Apple (Cirrus Logic) 338S1213 Audio Codec
- Apple 338S1199
- Fairchild Semiconductor FDMC6676BZ and FDCM6683 MOSFETs
- NXP 1610A1 Display Interface IC

Last edited:

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Anyway, there's nothing to stop an iPad with NFC capabilities being used both to accept Apple pay, contactless credit cards, Google Wallet and any other NFC cards the retailer accepts if Apple wants to allow that functionality.

Basically any NFC enabled card could then be accepted without any additional hardware and in some countries that would be sufficient for most customers. Areas where NFC penetration is low could add a chip and PIN or swipe reader in addition to this.

This is also how I interpreted the NFC functionality in the iPad would be utilised. Could be a huge change: basically making a signature and/or chip and pin redundant.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
how long til we can do phone to phone transactions? i.e.- loan my brother a couple hundred.. give some shopping money to my girl.. etc

seems like this ability will have to happen if the goal is true wallet replacement.
(sux that the banks/apple will be getting a cut of even more money movements but i guess they already get a nice chunk via atm fees.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

It won't disrupt Square's cash register or card reader business, so long as people are still using cash or cards. So for a time they'll be able to coexist with Apple Pay. But yeah, I can imagine that over the next five years, as current payment cards expire, banks and merchants will be pushing people over to use NFC instead of cards, so Square will fade into obscurity around 2020.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
B

That's to protect people from themselves. From looking like an idiot making phone calls with a 10" tablet :)

But yes, it would have been nice if it did support voice calls through Bluetooth though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.