Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
"It brings Apple Pay out from the big box store and into farmers' markets and boutiques."

Incredibly smart idea.....should be interesting to watch. Heck, those small farmers markets and boutiques that use iPads as their POS systems are more advanced than the big-box stores who's systems are still stuck in 1999.

Yes, please ..... just to be a thorn in the side of Walmart, Bestbuy, Target and RiteAid with their MCX crap..

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
1year. Oct 2015.
If a Merchant takes a swipe, from a card that supports EMV, but takes the swipe anyway.

If the consumers card doesn't have EMV yet... Not the merchants problem.

i suspect the banks will start mailing out new cards because they want to stop paying for fraud. . banks are not in the business in losing money

this is going to be like when direct tv or dish network mails out new smart cards. if you do not have apple pay and do not have rfid or emv , you're going to get a new card in the mail .

if the merchant does not upgrade, then its the merchants problem anytime a charge is disputed

the major thing with apple , is apple pays or fraud

the worst credit card company in the world, first premier bank, which charges its customers $300 in fees for a credit card with a $500 limit even sends out EMV cards

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yes, please ..... just to be a thorn in the side of Walmart, Bestbuy, Target and RiteAid with their MCX crap..

No sane person will tie their checking account and routing number direct to a Walmart/Bestbuy system.

Maybe I have too much faith in intelligence of humanity... But I still proclaim D.O.A.

----------

i suspect the banks will start mailing out new cards because they want to stop paying for fraud. . banks are not in the business in losing money

this is going to be like when direct tv or dish network mails out new smart cards. if you do not have apple pay and do not have rfid or emv , you're going to get a new card in the mail .

if the merchant does not upgrade, then its the merchants problem anytime a charge is disputed

the major thing with apple , is apple pays or fraud

the worst credit card company in the world, first premier bank, which charges its customers $300 in fees for a credit card with a $500 limit even sends out EMV cards

CapitalOne, one of the largest, still refuses, and has no time estimate.
Chase, also large, refuses me on my debit card.
Also, AMEX refuses me on my corp card.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
What about the iPad mini?

That's the iPad mini 2 with TouchID.

With the move towards VoLTE, the distinction between voice and data has blurred to the point that now the networks have to do extra work to special-case the billing of voice calls.

My childrens' children will never be issued a phone number.

You're optimistic but the carriers will fight hard to hold on to their legacy business models.

This could also be used for accepting payments at your table in a restaurant.

Most restaurants are already doing this with credit/debit card terminals and the newer ones have NFC. No need to leave your seat or give your card to anyone.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It also included in the iPad Mini 3 - keep up Mac Rumors. Its there for the secure element so you can do in app purchases on the new iPads. It's also the reason you can't use the iPhone 5s for in app purchases as it doesn't' have the secure clip to store the card data only on your phone.

Case closed.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Bummer that it doesn't appear these can accept Apple Pay payments. There's a store I frequent that uses iPads. Not that they would upgrade just for this anyway, but It would be awesome to use.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
.15%

----------

False. They do not.
The cellular transceiver chips in iPads are often data only chipsets absent voice capability.

iPhones and iPads use the exact same Qualcomm LTE chipsets. And with Voice-over-LTE, even if your claim were true, that would be moot with the latest generation iPad Air 2.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why is Apple so big on making the iPhones as serviceable as possible, yet for their other devices they use tons of glue and make them impossible to service?

They clearly know HOW to make things compact and serviceable; why do that only for the phones?

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Elaborate on what? I worked at Best Buy - that POS system was so archaic and heavy.

Why do you think it's taken so long for the US to FINALLY switch over to new forms of payment (specifically chip-and-pin)? Our retailers are so large and take so long to adopt new technologies it leaves us behind other countries.

Glad things are finally accelerating.
May be it's just the BB in Texas that needs to catch up because I've used my Tap n Pay CC/Debit in Washington, Oregon and California BB's with no issues.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
May be it's just the BB in Texas that needs to catch up because I've used my Tap n Pay CC/Debit in Washington, Oregon and California BB's with no issues.

Perhaps - our BBs have them they just aren't activated.

But the POS system isn't just the payment terminal....anyhow. No reason to argue about this.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I think that they included this chip not because of the NFC functionality but for the included Secure Element which safely stores the payment keys. This supports Apple's story that you can still use Apple Pay for online transactions, just not in person ones. Thus NFC is not needed but the secure element is.
Another option is for use with external hardware (the missing antennas would be in this external hardware). This is something that is used in servers quite a lot, especially when it comes to RAID. The controller is on the mainboard but you need an additional license as well as hardware for it to actually work and connect the drives. As the article describes businesses currently use external hardware from others. You don't want to have Apple Pay as the only means to pay, you want a few others. That means that you'll have to have some kind of hardware that supports those payment systems so why not use the external hardware you are already using and can probably upgrade? It's how nearly all of the POS work anyway (computer + cardreader).

It could be that the chip is for both situations: as a controller for external hardware and as a requirement for the secure element. On the other hand, using it purely as a secure element to allow Apple Pay be used on websites and such is far more likely. Payment terminals can contain all the necessary components needed for Apple Pay. The iPad will only hold the register software.

They could have gone for a Secure Element chip without NFC but it would probably have required making new drivers, which probably wasn't worth the hassle as these chips won't be very expensive to begin with.
And they are future proofing their devices. Next time they only need to add a few other components and they're done. If they want Apple Pay to become really big then they need to support it on all their mobile devices.

In doing so, they could cut out Square and other third party payment systems entirely. This would be huge for small businesses (food trucks, farmers markets, etc).
In doing so they would kill those third party payment systems. Apple Pay will become a major threat to those systems and in that case those systems won't be supporting Apple Pay. Apple Pay will be nothing more yet another payment system. Apple has understood the most important thing when it comes to having a universal payment system: it is all about cooperating with other payment systems. Others need to integrate with your system because if they don't your payment system won't take off. That's why Apple has gotten those big parties (banks, shops, etc.) onboard. Without them Apple Pay is dead. This also means that they need to work together with those 3rd party when it comes to payment terminals. When paying in a shop, the shop holders iPad becomes the payment terminal. That's why it is so important to use the currently used external hardware instead of using their own implementation.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Apple could add the antenna to next year's iPad.
Next year is "later".

But why put a NFC chip inside this current iPad generation if it cannot be utilized?

----------

Is it too far fetched to perhaps consider a POS that can connect to an iPad over the lightning connector that is equipped with an NFC antenna? That could be a way.

Could the lightening connection carry NFC signals to the NFC chip on the board? Engineers? I am only CS.

kdarling

macrumors P6
But why put a NFC chip inside this current iPad generation if it cannot be utilized?

Because it contains the Secure Element, which is a processor running the Java payment applets that are used by MC / Visa / AMEX / etc.

It likely needs to be able to run those applets, in order to utilize in-app Apple Pay. Or perhaps it just has an Apple Pay applet.

--

Like everyone else, I believed the no antenna tear downs.

However, I just found something very peculiar while searching the FCC database. Other new tablet reports I checked leave out any mention of NFC, but the FCC SAR entry for the iPad Air 2 (FCC ID BCGA1567) claims it has NFC:

ipad_air_2_fcc_nfc.png

What the heck? This is the same comment that's in the iPhone 6 SAR reports.

So either some of the tablets actually do have NFC capabilities, OR it was planned at one time and the comment wasn't updated, OR it was never planned and the comment was never correct.

Need more time to go through all the tablet reports.

Last edited:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid

Possibly because it is wired to the Secure Element circuit.
If so, it is better to leave the NFC chip in place than to try to engineer another solution.
And NFC chips are dirt-cheap anyway.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Possibly because it is wired to the Secure Element circuit.
If so, it is better to leave the NFC chip in place than to try to engineer another solution.
And NFC chips are dirt-cheap anyway.

Yes this is likely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.