NFC on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMatt., Jul 8, 2014.

1. iMatt. macrumors 6502

I did do a search but couldn't find anything.

Are there any rumours of NFC being included in the next model? Of all the things I've seen I haven't seen NFC mentioned since before the iPhone 5 came out, and then it didn't make the cut.

Cheers

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I doubt it IMO
    Gonna be the Blu-ray of iOS

Personally I don't have any real use for it anyway

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Every new iPhone is rumored to have NFC, and it has yet to happen. But who knows, Apple seems to be opening themselves up more, so it could happen.

4. iMatt. thread starter macrumors 6502

True. The only things I use with NFC are my bank card for small payments, and my Oyster card for travelling around London. But it's not that much of a pain to pull my wallet out anyway. It is quite gimmicky.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's more positive chatter and rumors that it will have it, then rumors that it won't. We'll likely not really know until such time that Apple decides to tell us.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I was one of those "i'll never use it people" until I used it at whole foods. You get a nice electronic receipt and you don't have to pull out your wallet.

I'm a huge fan of it, and Apple needs to get on board.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

IF Apple feels NFC adds enough value to the mainstream user, then possibly

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

I still feel that NFC is a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.

I don't ever suddenly find myself in a situation, wishing that I could use my phone to pay for something, as I've still got to get it out of my pocket to make the payment, in the same way I pull out my wallet.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

It's all about the money.

Everyone including the carriers along with Google have their own version how to use NFC.

So if no "standard" NFC use, you will continue to see fragmentation.

Everyone wants a "cut" of the % of revenue with NFC payments.

Apple trying to figure how to get a "cut" of the revenue as well

10. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I've used NFC on an Android several times and really enjoyed it. Once I forgot my purse at home when I went to pick up Freebird's (burrito chain). Thankfully I had remembered I had my visa card tied to my Google Wallet and was able to pay via NFC. It was pretty neat-o! I did use it a couple of times and I'd like to see Apple get on board with NFC.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I get far more use out of apps like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc with a preloaded card and a QR scan... no need for NFC for that

12. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

True! I forgot about that. I use the Starbucks one quite often!

13. cynics macrumors G4

That doesn't seem convenient to me albeit I never tried it.

Do you need to put money on it and it can only be used for Starbucks or places that accept it? Do you ever have a remaining balance that is too small to use IE 89 cents?

I just don't know how it works that is all.

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

People who bash the very idea of Apple using NFC are not the big picture type.

I hope Apple adopts it sooner or later. It would help get the bigger retailers on board with updating their POS. It could use some work, and I know there are some security concerns, but credit cards in America aren't exactly secure these days. I'd rather use NFC+Pin from my phone than any credit card for a POS sale. Apple clearly is exploring the idea of mobile payments, and NFC is already being used here and there in the US, and pretty widely in Europe and Japan. If they don't use NFC and go with their own proprietary method it would be a bigger pain in the ass for retailers, but I could see that happening too.

The beauty of any new feature is you can choose not to use it. How does it offend you if your next iPhone contains NFC? I don't get some of the people on here. NFC is useful in many ways, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with mobile payments.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, but then you buy something for like $2, and it takes the last .89 out of that and you pay the balance. Never use a gift card before!?

I visit Starbucks fairly often. So set it's auto load to load $10, every time it dips below $10. So it's always hovering $13-18. Accrues free drinks and other awards.

----------

It's a solution without a problem. There are incredibly few stores that support NFC. Some that did have the Vivotech readers, have replaced them with engenico chip and pin/sig readers recently.

RFID is dying.

Bluetooth LE can be made to do everything it can do, and not use up precious cellphone real-estate.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think Apple adopting NFC is what it's going to take for it to take off (in the states). I have a hard time fathoming how people feel their credit card (a magstrip on a piece of plastic) is safer and superior to NFC technology.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You may think not, but it's quite nice not to have to take out my wallet (containing all my IDs and credit cards) to pay for things. Phone is more secure than the credit cards in your wallet.

18. cynics macrumors G4

I didn't know it was a "gift card" app. Like I mentioned I just don't know how it works.

Seems less convenient to me (as you describe it) then NFC payment. If its like a gift card and you spend more then 10 dollars at Starbucks won't you need to grab for your wallet?

People mention Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts. Do other places take it like NFC? Like McDonalds, Gas Stations at the pump, Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Gap, Foot Locker, etc etc? And if they did would you need a preloaded "gift card" for each of those stores or does it combined the balance?

Bare with me here please. Now that its been described to me like using a gift card it just sounds dumb so I'm sure I'm just missing something.

19. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Why does my phone need NFC?

My bank card already has it, but I don't use it.

I still prefer to pay by chip and PIN. IMO it's more secure.

The last thing I want is money loaded on my phone or to pay for purchases from my iTunes account.

It's a solution for a problem already solved by Chip and PIN. It is this that should be adopted in the US, as it now has everywhere else in the world.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

If my phone dies, I can't pay for my purchase. With a credit card the mag stripe doesn't have to be working, numbers can be entered manually.

21. Azzin macrumors 68040

I kind of get it, but you still have to take out your wallet, so for me, it's still a solution for a non existent problem.

22. iMatt. thread starter macrumors 6502

If Apple did implement this, it would definitely help NFC to take off in the US, as previously mentioned. It was a surprise to me that Chip & Pin isn't even widely used in the US, which seems weird considering it's been used everywhere in the UK for a long time now.

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Walgreens, and and Kroger use for loyalty cards.
    Delta, Regal cinema, and American Airline use for tickets.
    ... And others, those are just my first hand off the top of my head uses.

I don't think McDonalds has a loyalty card, but I haven't stepped into that grease pit since I was 10. They could release a passbook card if they did, but cant take visa until visa deploys. Which isn't happening. They like to be in control. But for that matter, they are ditching NFC as well, my latest VISA cards issued stripped NFC support.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

We have all been hearing about NFC for years now and from what I can tell it really has not taken off.

I am thinking that is is not going to happen with the 6, but you never know until the announcements are made!:apple: