Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
You have to have a cable subscription to NFL channel in order to use it! You cannot buy it separately. Useless for me!

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Why do I need or want this on Apple TV if I already need to have it on my cable network first?

in my case I don't like to deal with the cable tv boxes. They charge rental fees and are going all digital, requiring their presence. This is a small but useful way to sprinkle around tv "channels" in other tvs without renting more boxes.

IMHO its not ideal, I wwish they would release their new GUI

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Blah, Blah probably need to subscribed to cable. How about Amazon Prime instead? Oh here comes the people telling me they already have their own device while Amazon Prime is on Roku.:rolleyes:

How about Apple make it in a way where we can just authenticate it one time so it will just work for all apps that I have with my instead one by one, tire of waiting to be able to access HBO Go with Charter Communications.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
the NFL network has pulled some of its content from the iTunes store recently. I wonder if its related?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Good luck with that... AT&T's merger with DirecTV literally hinges on the latter successfully renegotiating that exclusive NFL deal. ;)

hopefully their deal with DirecTV does not ruin redzone. I will take that over sunday ticket any day of the week.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
i want EPL now god dammit!:mad:

English Premier League? The NBC sports app covers that. You should be able to mirror that to the ATV.

We should've all known nothing would happen until DirecTVs contract is done. Hopefully this is an interest gauge by both parties to see penetration numbers. Something's better than nothing right now. So if you do want to see games one day, log on and take a look once or twice. Numbers help our chances.

johnfreeborn

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
UK
It would be especially nice if the NFL added an NFL GamePass app to the Apple TV for people outside the USA who subscribe to this service. It's ridiculous that the NBA, MLB, and even the NHL have this but the NFL does not.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Cool. I'll have something to do one evening this week. Delete another unused channel.

NFL=Yawn.

nothing compared to the excitement of soccer of kicking the ball back and forth for over an hour and the only way to score is on a penalty or when the opposing team screws up and leaves their guys on the wrong side of the field

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
nothing compared to the excitement of soccer of kicking the ball back and forth for over an hour and the only way to score is on a penalty or when the opposing team screws up and leaves their guys on the wrong side of the field

lies grow up

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I support any channel that Apple adds that does not require a cable subscription to watch. If a cable subscription is needed, it is a complete waste of time. I say this because if you already have a cable subscription then it makes the Apple TV essentially redundant.

Keep adding channels that I can watch without having to buy cable and you will have a winning formula. Right now I hide most channels, since I cut cable years ago.

I hope that like the other sports channels this will not require cable.

I disagree with your point about subscription based Apple TV channels.

You can use the Apple TV on a secondary tv in place of a cable box which most companies charge for monthly. With all the channels it makes it more useful.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
And a YouTube button. Seriously, I've been using it for over a year, and all I do with it is bounce between NetFlix and YouTube.

I'm really surprised Apple never responded to Amazon's FireTV, what with its superior interface, voice commands, and app store, even games.

They only have 80,000 employees, so they can't do everything.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
lies grow up

took me 10 minutes of watching the world cup to figure that out. same strategy as hockey and why the USA team lasted so long. the only time they gave up goals outside of penalties is when they were on the wrong side of the field

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
took me 10 minutes of watching the world cup to figure that out. same strategy as hockey and why the USA team lasted so long. the only time they gave up goals outside of penalties is when they were on the wrong side of the field

utter rubbish, and world cups are not a benchmark for how the game is regulary played

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I disagree with your point about subscription based Apple TV channels.

You can use the Apple TV on a secondary tv in place of a cable box which most companies charge for monthly. With all the channels it makes it more useful.

If I actually paid the $100000 a month for cable (slight exageration), I would spring for the extra 5 bucks to get the DVR that records. The Apple TV is not a replacement for the cable box. Plus the cable box has way more channels that I will never watch compared to the few channels that Apple TV has that I never watch (because it requires a cable subscription that I refuse to pay).

/Rant:cool:

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009

Clearly you have no clue about soccer but same can be said about Football where you do not use your feet to kick but yet it is called Football, sad that terrible poor American attitude about different type of sports is still around.

----------

Nope, the USA soccer team has always been terrible why do you think most of the players in MLS are not all Americans but brought from outside of the U.S., if it was not for Beckham people would still not care about MLS.

iHEARTcartoons

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
San Diego
You have to have a cable subscription to NFL channel in order to use it! You cannot buy it separately. Useless for me!

For anyone wanting all NFL all the time, do yourself a favor and splurge on NFL Game Pass (around $210)... and no, you don't need cable of sat TV to get it. You will have to take an extra step to make this work, since it's not available in the US or Canada, but it’s really not difficult if you follow the steps.

1. Sign up for a DNS service like Unotelly and set up to use their UK server (they have easy to follow step by step instructions). It's about $5 a month and totally worth it even if you're not interested in the NFL GP. We use it to also watch all kinds of free streams from the UK, Australia, and many more (it was great for the World Cup too)!

2. Now you will be able to go to NFL Game Pass website and sign up (see image below of how it should look once DNS is setup correctly). Use your real name, but an address in the UK (Google for a restaurant or something similar). Pay with CC and using the correct billing address. You now have access to every pre/regular/palyoff game, NFL Net, Red Zone, Hard Knocks, and a huge library of VOD like condensed games (no commercials or breaks), coaches film, and previously aired shows. Like I said, if you love the NFL, this is for you!!!

This step is optional if you want to watch on iPhone/iPad…
3. Let’s get the NFL GP app for iPhone/iPad! Open iTunes on your computer, log out of your account, and click on iTunes Store. Scroll to the bottom and click on your country flag, which will then let you choose the UK (see image below). Search for NFL Game Pass and click to get the App, but do not use your current Apple ID! You'll sign up for a new account. Click create Apple ID and fill out the information using an email not associated with your current Apple ID (be sure to save this info incase you need it to reinstall in the future or for other cool apps). In the Payment Method panel, choose “None”. Now you will be able to get on your iPhone/iPad and login with this new Apple ID. Don't forget to setup the UK DNS server like you did on your computer and remember to switch back to your main Apple ID once installed.

4. Enjoy NFL GP!!! Watch on your computer, plug into your TV with HDMI or RGB, Airplay to Apple TV... or play on iPhone/iPad using WiFi (from which you can also Airplay to Apple TV)!

Attachments

• screen-shot.jpg
    screen-shot.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 63
  • screen shot2.jpg
    screen shot2.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 3.png
    Screen Shot 3.png
    401.4 KB · Views: 67

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Clearly you have no clue about soccer but same can be said about Football where you do not use your feet to kick but yet it is called Football, sad that terrible poor American attitude about different type of sports is still around.

----------

Nope, the USA soccer team has always been terrible why do you think most of the players in MLS are not all Americans but brought from outside of the U.S., if it was not for Beckham people would still not care about MLS.

soccer was the original name for the sport, not football which was the peon name for it

and for one, there is no draft system into MLS like there is for every other sport where they have systems to take high school and college grads.

MLB draft takes college kids into double A level baseball, then they move on to triple A and then the majors. all those teams are owned by MLB teams and are used to weed out the best players and to train people to play at the major level. same in NBA. NFL takes people straight out of college.

and college sports is just an excuse to teach high schoolers to better play their sport

----------

utter rubbish, and world cups are not a benchmark for how the game is regulary played

same for Barclay's League
lots of failed attempts because too many defenders and once in a while you get lucky where the rest of the opposing team is too far from the goal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.