Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
If I actually paid the $100000 a month for cable (slight exageration), I would spring for the extra 5 bucks to get the DVR that records. The Apple TV is not a replacement for the cable box. Plus the cable box has way more channels that I will never watch compared to the few channels that Apple TV has that I never watch (because it requires a cable subscription that I refuse to pay).

/Rant:cool:

You are missing the point about cable companies charging extra for each set top box you have. Plus the UI on cable boxes suck consisted to Apple TV, Roku, fire tv etc.

With the Apple TV I have access to many channels/streaming services via native and airplay without the added fees.

I know someone who is using an antenna for OTA and an Apple TV, via her parents' cable subscription, to get all the other video streaming content she needs. This eliminates her from getting cable on her own.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
This is a joke. Can't watch games? Worthless addition. Let me know when I can watch a live game. I can go on the net with my phone if I need NFL news.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Other than Netflix and Sky on occasion, there is not much worth clicking on ATV.

Allow us to use Let me stream my local NAS library (nope, iTunes sucks and is highly unreliable in my set up, half the time requiring reboot of the computer and ATV so the two can sync up).

Allow us to add our own channels.

Or just put Plex on it....

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
soccer was the original name for the sport, not football which was the peon name for it

and for one, there is no draft system into MLS like there is for every other sport where they have systems to take high school and college grads.

MLB draft takes college kids into double A level baseball, then they move on to triple A and then the majors. all those teams are owned by MLB teams and are used to weed out the best players and to train people to play at the major level. same in NBA. NFL takes people straight out of college.

and college sports is just an excuse to teach high schoolers to better play their sport

----------

same for Barclay's League
lots of failed attempts because too many defenders and once in a while you get lucky where the rest of the opposing team is too far from the goal.

I think in this instance the comment was not directed at why you call it soccer but more why you call American football "football" when your feet just aren't involved.

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
soccer was the original name for the sport, not football which was the peon name for it.

Not really true I'm afraid. Football has been the name associated with that game for centuries. There are even references to "footeball" in the annals of Cambridge University back in 1579. It is also the reason why Rugby (a *real* game!) was originally (and in some organisations still is) referred to as Rugby Football, rather than Rugby "Soccer". Soccer as a word is a relatively recent (1880's) invention, deriving from the word Association and the trend to ad the modifier "-er" as a colloquialism.

American football derives it's name from the fact that it was an off-shoot from Rugby Football.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I think in this instance the comment was not directed at why you call it soccer but more why you call American football "football" when your feet just aren't involved.

american football is an offshoot of the soccer/football/rugby games played in england and the name stuck

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
You are missing the point about cable companies charging extra for each set top box you have. Plus the UI on cable boxes suck consisted to Apple TV, Roku, fire tv etc.

With the Apple TV I have access to many channels/streaming services via native and airplay without the added fees.

I know someone who is using an antenna for OTA and an Apple TV, via her parents' cable subscription, to get all the other video streaming content she needs. This eliminates her from getting cable on her own.

So 'she' is basically stealing her parents' cable subscription rather than buying one for herself??

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Blah

I'm so tired of the bland interface that's in every AppleTV app. A refresh of Apple TV is so way overdue.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
soccer was the original name for the sport, not football which was the peon name for it

and for one, there is no draft system into MLS like there is for every other sport where they have systems to take high school and college grads.

MLB draft takes college kids into double A level baseball, then they move on to triple A and then the majors. all those teams are owned by MLB teams and are used to weed out the best players and to train people to play at the major level. same in NBA. NFL takes people straight out of college.

and college sports is just an excuse to teach high schoolers to better play their sport

----------

same for Barclay's League
lots of failed attempts because too many defenders and once in a while you get lucky where the rest of the opposing team is too far from the goal.

lies again the original name for the sport was association Football.

yes there is a draft system in mls

and if you want to make a stupid comment about goals are only scored because of mistakes, so are touch downs :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.