NFL Off-Season (2008)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Mar 3, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not sure if we want to bother with some discussion of the NFL off season, free agency started last week, and the draft is 4 weeks away.

Some topics of interest,

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I guarantee you that there is a clause in Bionic Ben's contract that voids it out if he gets injured riding a motorcycle...

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I imagine it would be a blanket off field injury clause.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

I think the Bears should have let Rex Grossman go.

I was hoping Moss would have went to the Jaguars. They need a good wide receiver. Hopefully Miami will pick a QB with their #1 pick. They have struggled at QB ever since Marino's departure.

Jets are on a spending spree, "Jets owner Woody Johnson sure didn't like going 4-12 or watching the Giants win Super Bowl over the Patriots. How else to explain the go-ahead to spend wildly he's given to GM Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini since the start of free agency on Friday?

Consider that the Jets today officially signed Steelers LG Alan Faneca ($40 million, five years, $21 million guaranteed) and Lions RT Damien Woody ($25.5 million, five years, $11 million guaranteed) and agreed to terms with Cardinals LB Calvin Pace ($42 million, six years, $21 million guaranteed). They also traded DT Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals for fourth and fifth-round draft picks, contingent upon D-Rob agreeing to a new contract.."

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

What are they going to do about Pennington?
    I probably should of stated the year.:eek: TY for the edit.

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

The Bears also re-signed Lance Briggs, which was key. They also let go of probably their #1 reciever; Bernard Berrian. I don't mind Berrian going. He was good but nowhere near worth the money Minnie gave him. He's great in a straight line, and that's about it. He also had a boat load of drops last year. On the plus side, it'll free up room for Devin Hester. I just hope he progresses. Mark Bradley will finally get some playing time as well.

Bears still need to draft for offense (RB & WR), and plug up the holes/weaknesses on that wet kleenex O-Line in free agency. Prior to the Briggs signing, they were $30 million in the green - I hope they use it wisely.

8. fotografica macrumors 68040

Jets are throwing around money like they're printing it behind the Meadowlands.. That's A LOT of money for Woody,not to mention what they also gave Faneca..You'd think they had a QB with all the money they're spending on the O line..
    What's Mangina thinking with Pace? Believing that a guy that averaged 3 sacks a year is going to be his pass-rushing OLB??:confused: That's a lot of money for 13 career sacks...

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

The Redskins will prepare for their 14th consecutive rebuilding season...

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I honestly don't know how I feel about the Jets moves right this second. They seem to spending a lot of money, but for what purpose? It's not like we have a great QB. Clemens (no, not Roger but Kellen) definitely has the skill and ability but he was rocked last year (no O-line whatsoever).

It should be an interesting season.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If the Jets don't ditch Pennington.. well.. Mangini is a worse coach than I thought.

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Chad as a QB, specifically his arm, sucks. However, he has incredible football knowledge/sense. If anything I would keep him as a coach or and advisor, but certainly not as a player.

14. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Actually, we've stayed pretty quiet. A lot of the media even mentioned that since the hiring of Jim Zorn, they've decided that they need to keep a lot of the core individuals.

I must say that I think it's a bit of fresh air. I liked the team we had. I thought we were in every single game, except the New England game, and while we lost a bunch of games, we should have won!

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Brett Favre retires.

Edit: I see I'm not the first, sorry about that. Enjoy the link.

A separate thread has been created on this topic.

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I won't take it as official until I don't see him on the field

:p

Cheers to one of the best to play the game. I'm sure we'll see him around the NFL soon (as a non-player)

17. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

18. stevegmu macrumors regular

The biggest problem I see is J. Campbell. I just don't think he is the quarterback of the future. He's a fumbler, doesn't have eyes in the back of his head, likes to throw picks late in games, and seems to be made of glass. 2 injuries last season- albeit the 1st was in pre-season. I also don't think T. Collins is worth $9 million. He did well last season, but there's a reason he sat on the bench for 10 years.

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

And the latest on spygate. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3284550

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Always astonishes me how much some free agents get and what a market for them there is. The mid-level guys weren't seen as good enough for their own team to lock them up but someone is willing to pay out for them.

Look at guys like Brandon Lloyd. He was drafted by the Niners, made some athletic catches but was pretty inconsistent, was traded to the Redskins who cut him for him to be picked up by the Bears. Lloyd isn't that great a receiver but he gets chance after chance - just because at one point he was drafted on day 1.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So Matt Walsh is a scumbag. The Globe ran a feature today about him:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/03/10/to_some_a_vindictive_videotaper/

I think this part was the worst:

22. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

NFL Rule Changes

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3325273

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So, the draft is done. How do you think your team did?

I'd give the Pats a B. Jerod Mayo is a great pick, but I would have liked to see them use some of their third round picks (along with their second round pick) to trade up to the beginning of the second round to get someone like Brandon Flowers or Quentin Groves, both who were still available at the time. Overall though, good draft. They did exactly what they wanted to do, which was get younger and faster. Mayo and Shawn Crable were both great picks at linebacker (ILB and OLB respectively), plus they got a couple decent CBs and WR/S/KR Matt Slater from UCLA who some scouts have compared to Devin Hester.

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Titans:

Round one: Chris Johnson - excited about this guy. If he lives up to his potential, our offense just found 4th gear (sad that we went a whole season barely getting into 3rd)

Round two: Jason Jones - This is when Titans fans, sport analysts, the known universe (the part that cares) went, HUH?! We lost out on a lot of good WR's, but could have traded up... though we still passed on Manningham. I'm sure the guy's a good player, but our priorities weren't there... we thought.

Round three - Craig Stevens - HUH?! We have great depth at TE now! I can kind of see the logic, but wha..?

Round four: William Hayes - WHO? WHA? HUH? Before this, he was believed to go UFA. Guy sounds promising, but why now?

Round four: Lavelle Hawkins - This one made sense. A WR. Good pick, just a bit late.

etc etc.

Basically, many Titans fans want Mike Reinfeldt's head delivered on a platter by the greasiest pizza boy around. Two years of completely HUH? picks. I'm willing to give these picks a chance to prove themselves (like I have a say!), but we have Vince Young throwing to... who? Perhaps we'll just have the most awesome backfield in the NFL and never have to throw again?!:rolleyes:

At least we don't have to worry about the stripclubs in Nashville or the surrounding 300 miles anymore. Dallas took care of that problem.

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm really not so sure about the Falcons' first round pick. we'll see