Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NHS COVID-19, a contact tracing app created by the UK government, is rolling out to residents of England and Wales as of today, with the app available from the iOS App Store.

Exposure-Notifications-W-People-and-Text.jpg

The app's debut comes a week and a half after the UK government said that it would launch on September 24, and a month and a half after the app became available to NHS Volunteer Responders, Isle of Wight residents, and Newham residents, all of whom have been testing the app.

Like other apps that take advantage of the Exposure Notification API from Apple and Google, NHS COVID-19 is designed to track who people come into contact with each other using Bluetooth, providing a notification if one of those people later comes down with the coronavirus.

Along with using a Bluetooth-based solution, NHS COVID-19 will let users scan QR codes to register visits to locations like stores and restaurants to aid in contact tracing, with UK businesses being encouraged to display QR posters for visitors to scan.

NHS COVID-19 will be available on iPhones running iOS 13.5 or later as well as compatible Android smartphones, which are able to interface with each other. Downloading the app will provide instructions on making sure notifications are enabled and the feature is functional.

The NHS did not initially plan to use Apple and Google's ‌Exposure Notification‌ API and was instead pursuing a different solution, but after the announcement of the API the NHS changed course and decided to work on an app using the Apple/Google API after all.

Exposure Notification apps have already launched in Scotland and Ireland, as well as in Canada, Denmark, Germany, Poland, and other countries. In the United States, Virginia, North Dakota, Arizona, Delaware, Nevada, Alabama, Wyoming, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania have launched apps that use Apple's Exposure Notification API.

More information on Apple and Google's Exposure Notification API, such as how it works and where it's available, can be found in our guide.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: 'NHS COVID-19' Contact Tracing App With Exposure Notification API Launches in England and Wales

Reactions: Fusionskies

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
How do you download the app ? I can see one for NI and Scotland but not England - but this post seems to be saying it is now available..

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Ah the baphoon squad has entered the building. The people behind this app must be the most bumbling inept egocentric dimwits ever assembled. How embarrassing for the U.K. as the days go by we seem to lose more and more of any prestige we may have had as a country of excellence in science, innovation and finance.

Last edited:

Kal El

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Sunderland, UK

Reactions: polyphenol

rctneil

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
It's definitely waaaay late but I am very very glad it's here now and actually using the Apple / Google API as it should be. I've been testing it for the past few weeks and it's nicely built and works fine. Persuade everyone you can to download and set it up and then as long as their phones are on and Bluetooth is enabled then it may make a difference.

It's not perfect, but none of our weapons against COVID-19 are perfect. IT's another tool in our belt against it so I'm all for it.

Go download it!!!!

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I’ve signed up. It’s a nice app. Works well.

Question - at what point, say I do come in to contact with someone tested positive - do they know what my details are?

I didn’t input anything. So how will I be contacted by the Test and Trace team?

Perhaps once I get notified, the app will then prompt me to input my details? Does anybody have any clarification?

• Love
Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

rctneil

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013

Question - at what point, say I do come in to contact with someone tested positive - do they know what my details are?

Perhaps once I get notified, the app will then prompt me to input my details? Does anybody have any clarification?

As far as I am aware, with your test result you will be sent a code which you enter into the app. The app then uses all the random ids it has exchanged to privately and anonymously notify other users.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It's definitely waaaay late but I am very very glad it's here now and actually using the Apple / Google API as it should be. I've been testing it for the past few weeks and it's nicely built and works fine. Persuade everyone you can to download and set it up and then as long as their phones are on and Bluetooth is enabled then it may make a difference.

It's not perfect, but none of our weapons against COVID-19 are perfect. IT's another tool in our belt against it so I'm all for it.

Go download it!!!!

I look at it as a good tool in preparation for our next pandemic.

Kal El

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Sunderland, UK

Your phone is sending a unique code. If someone tests positive and they mark themselves so on their app then it then sends all the codes it’s been in contact with and these codes are then notified so you get a notification to say you may have been exposed and should isolate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.