Nice places in Florida

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macjock, Dec 17, 2009.

1. macjock macrumors regular

Now,

I have been several times to Florida and have seen a lot of what the tourist areas have to offer. I love the way of life over there.

I would like to know where people consider to be the nice areas a tourist might not ordinarily see.

Be it residential or otherwise, a place one might choose to live perhaps.

Thanks in advance

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I live in FL unfortunately. There really aren't any nice places. The crime rate in most places is out of control, and the counties rape you with the property and sales taxes.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

miami beach, for obvious reasons, you want no tourists...hmm try north of Dade Blvd. Although, with our beach and our ladies..why exclude it just because of tourists?

4. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

You're kidding, right? We have nothing but tourists here and it SUCKS!! (well, those and snowbirds, and I'm not sure which group is worse)

5. iOrlando macrumors 68000

depends what kind of tourists you are talking about.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Please move...your bum attitude is stealing my sunshine
    2) Crime rate in SOME places is up, in line with most of the country in MOST places
    3) Your tax burden in FL is MUCH lower than in other states (no state income tax, sales tax in line with most of the country, and property taxes that are similar to many states in nation). Thanks to agriculture and tourism, you pay less here, buddy.

OP - there are several areas of Florida in which it is wonderful to live. However, you have to narrow down your wants. Want land and rolling hills, want beachfront, want urban or rural, need to be near a professional sports team, want to live on a golf course, want some season change or subtropical weather? Florida is a huge, diverse state...figure out what you want first, than start exploring.

7. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Lots of great places...the Keys (off the beaten path of course), the beaches on the gulf side...the springs up north...

love it down here...

-J.-

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Don't live in Florida, but have visited many times. I like the Destin area. I have an aunt who lives close to there and she enjoys it.

9. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I very much badly want to live in Clearwater Beach or the vicinity, like Indian Rocks Beach... that area down there. Oh yeah, it's beautiful.

10. macjock thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to live in a fairly urban area, near a golf course or two. Shops schools uni's etc close by.

I live in a busy city in the UK just wondered what was similar in fl.

I like the likes of celebration

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I moved to Colorado after living in the Orlando area for over 10 years. It is very nice.

12. bern1812 macrumors member

Sarasota is fantastic. Siesta Key has one of the greatest beaches you will ever see. It gets a little touristy around 4th of July, but everywhere with a beach is touristy around then. Plenty of nice neighborhood and developments. Palmer Ranch has a lot of great neighborhoods and some nice golf courses as well

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

There are some nice areas AROUND Orlando that would fit the bill. Celebration is nice, but you will pay more for less because of the "Celebration mystique." Come on down, seems like 1/2 the UK is here in Orlando this time of year (we can spot you by the sunburns, the football (soccer) shirts, and the large shopping bags). ;)

14. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I'd like to live in a fairly urban area, near a golf course or two. Shops schools uni's etc close by

- what does shops schools uni's close by mean?

other then that...you are describing miami beach very well.

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I'm sure that's why the property taxes on my condo here are 5 TIMES what they are on my house in Louisiana even though the values are pretty much the same. Or that the property taxes on my house here are twice what they are on my house in VA even though that house is HALF the assessed value.

16. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Anna Maria Island!

It's on the gulf coast and its probably one of the last places in Florida that hasn't been completely overrun by development.

17. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I live in Pensacola Beach Florida and it's very nice. Tourists arn't *too bad* either.

18. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I went to school for a year on NTTC Corry Station. Destin and Ft. Walton Beach are beautiful

19. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

non-tourist "nice" cities in southern florida (surrounding miami area) are as follows:

coral gables
    kendall
    miami lakes (where i live)
    aventura
    design district
    doral
    hammocks

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't forget the departure terminal at the airport. :p

I didn't like Florida all that much as a tourist. Pehaps ot's an ok place to live. I don't know. I just don't have a good image of the place.

21. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

If you've got a ton of money, try Seaside, Florida. It's on the panhandle near Destin, and it's where "The Truman Show" was filmed.

22. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Panama City to Pensacola: the "Redneck Riviera"

23. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I live near Destin (Pensacola) I didn't know the truman show was filmed there... I love that movie! Ha.

24. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I live in Lee county and I have no complaints about anything really. Besides being one of the most foreclosed counties in the US...:eek:

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I was going to respond with some off-the-beaten-path suggestions but just read your followup post. You like urban areas with golf courses. In case someone else may be interested, Florida has some interesting walking trails and archeological sites. One that comes to mind is the Crystal River Mounds.