nice sale for an eight bay unit

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Dec 14, 2010.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

http://store.sansdigital-shop.com/totr8baysato9.html

a sans digital tr8m

205 plus shipping. but they will add a rocketraid 2314 card for 100 total 305 plus shipping use the code 50off for a holiday discount and you will pay under 300 for this refurb. it has a 1 year warranty.

I am getting it next week mon or tue I will test it with 3tb drives.

this unit and a rocketraid 2314 card would be more then 500 from newegg. this unit is supposed to be a clone of the rosewill 8 bay unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx? Item=N82E16816132016&cm_re=rosewill_8_bay-_-16-132-016-_-Product

i have the rosewills they are very good pieces of gear.

they work well with western digital caviar blacks and western digital re4 wd2003fyys hdds. so if you need a lot of bays this sans digital should be helpful to you. it is supposed to boot with the highpoint rr2314 card. i will post on it.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

3. DonJMa macrumors newbie

nice sale for an eight bay unit

dumb question, but how would I connect the 8 bay unit to my iMac?
    Seems the connections are eSata?
    Thanks for any input, could use 8 bays

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Simply put, it's not possible.

5. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

this very question is why I own a mac pro. Apple has no connectivity to an iMac. you can buy this

https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.ne...re_id=yhst-97838413598312&sectionId=ysco.cart

and use fw800 until you sell the imac and buy a mac pro.

just wrong apple just wrong. come on already and make something people can use.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It is possible, you just need to do a bit of work. ;)

And also throw away your AppleCare :)

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Nope. Won't work. The internal ports don't support port multiplying, which is needed for the enclosure.

8. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

if you put a esata into the 27 inch imac this is the best esata you can add.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sans-Digital-To...ge_Internal&hash=item3a6111d242#ht_6581wt_907

this will allow 4gb as a raid0 and is really fast. the raid engine is ROC in the unit so the iMac will see it as 1 big 4tb drive. I own one of these and have done a lot of tests with them and my macmini double esata mods. when I get my 2 3tb hdds I will see if they support 3tb hdds.

9. NOD macrumors member

10. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

You can also attach to each eSATA port as many as 5 hard drives in external drive enclosures that have built-in Port Multiplier technology, such as the Addonics Storage Tower.

this above is pulled from your link

this below is pulled from sans digital link

TowerRAID TR8M - 8 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) JBOD Enclosure (Silver)

TowerRAID TR8M - 8 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) JBOD Enclosure

your worst case would be the 8 drives are seen as JBOD or 8 separate disks. two ports on the mbp and 2 ports on the sans digital. it would be a pretty cool storage setup. even if they don't boot and even if they stay as 8 hdds. you can lay this unit on its side and stack the mbp right on top of it.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

For an iMac that's had an eSATA port added (whether you do it, or order it that way from OWC), there's a type of unit that will work (hardware controller in the unit that eliminates the need for Port Multiplier support).

Examples:
    If you don't need eSATA speed, there's USB and FW options as well, and is able to be connected to other Macs (laptops in particular that don't have an ExpressCard slot an eSATA unit could be plugged into). ;)