Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skipernicus@mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2006
No excuses

bigmc6000 said:
1) Nike's sweatshops aren't any worse than any other company...

2) A TON of people wear Nike shoes....

3) (I use the product)

4) (I like the product)

5) (Nike makes alot of stuff).

Oh yeah, lastly. Nike shoes are still "cool" - one of my friends buys them because he likes the look of them.

So, essentially, you can't be incovenienced by the idea that people suffer so you can have the shoes you like. I wish I could say you were the only one, but your figures hold up.

It's true, some companies are worse (ADIDAS is currently ranked as the single most unethical shoe manufacturer with regards to human rights violations).

It's also true that a lot of people buy Nike products - $14 billions dollars a year. I expect they buy them because they like them and because they think they are cool. And they do seem to get plenty of repeat customers - perhaps that speaks to the quality of the design, I don't know. It could just be a "cool" thing too. I'm not a user, I can't say.

But these things are hardly excuses - you don't get a pass because you think something is cool, or because other people do it too.

erostratus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2006
Skipernicus@mac said:
So, essentially, you can't be incovenienced by the idea that people suffer so you can have the shoes you like. I wish I could say you were the only one, but your figures hold up.

It's true, some companies are worse (ADIDAS is currently ranked as the single most unethical shoe manufacturer with regards to human rights violations).

It's also true that a lot of people buy Nike products - $14 billions dollars a year. I expect they buy them because they like them and because they think they are cool. And they do seem to get plenty of repeat customers - perhaps that speaks to the quality of the design, I don't know. It could just be a "cool" thing too. I'm not a user, I can't say.

But these things are hardly excuses - you don't get a pass because you think something is cool, or because other people do it too.

Skipernicus,

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do wonder whether all of us selectively choose when to apply these rules. For example, you're right, according to http://www.ethiscore.org, Adidas is the worst shoe company, with a score of 6 out of 20 (20 is best, 0 is worst). Reebok has 6.5, and Nike has 8. The range of 5-9 is considered poor. Apple, however, has a score of 9. If you read the report on Apple, the company operates in several countries that are ruled by oppressive regimes, and they operate in two countries that act as tax shelters. They also have a poor environmental responsibility record overseas. It's hard to say that Apple shouldn't partner with Nike when Apple doesn't have the greatest record either.

Let's face it: We want Apple to be a company of progressive policies, but it's not. That's just its reputation. We jump on Nike as being evil because it was the first company that showed signs of negative behavior. Heck, if you use Crest toothpaste, the company has a score of 0! Same thing if you give your dog Purina food (don't worry -- Iams has a score of 1.5). My point is not that those who buy Nike should get a free pass, but since even Dell has a higher score (9.5) than Apple, I know I'm being hypocritical when I purchase Apple products but yell at others for purchasing Nike. In the end, we all pick and choose which statements are important to us. I feel better about not purchasing Nike, but I have an Apple computer, a Toshiba television, and a Samsung monitor. These companies are basically as bad as Nike, but I never see them as evil. That's my decision, right or wrong. Someone who purchases Nike but won't purchase Gillette products is making the same decision. Let's just root for all of us to make more positive decisions.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
My girlfriend is looking for some new running shoes. Does anyone know where you can pick up these nano-compatible ones?

Is there anything stopping any other sports manufacturer from coming up with a shoe that is compatible with this transmitter kit?

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
Dunepilot said:
My girlfriend is looking for some new running shoes. Does anyone know where you can pick up these nano-compatible ones?

Is there anything stopping any other sports manufacturer from coming up with a shoe that is compatible with this transmitter kit?

It's my understanding that the only thing that makes these shoes special is the compartment in the sole for the transmitter. I, for one, like Brooks Running. No reason she couldn't get one of those key pouches that weave into the laces to hold the transmitter. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.