Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Here's what I need

I have a stop watch to track my progress.

What I need from Apple is a pair of waterproof headphones. I'm tired of burning out headphones because sweat dripping from my head gets into the earphones - shortening their lives.

Anyone have a fix for that?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
louden said:

What I need from Apple is a pair of waterproof headphones. I'm tired of burning out headphones because sweat dripping from my head gets into the earphones - shortening their lives.

That's true.
I have the same problem. i tried the ipod headphones that go way deep inside the ear and the problem still happening. Hopefully an Apple_Nike headphone will take care of that.

please a road cycling solution! Come on Lance, ask Steve and Phil for that!:D

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Wow cool!
When I read the headline I couldn't figure out what Apple and Nike could possibly do together, but this actually sounds sort of cool.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
MattyMac said:
Good thing I just bought a 1gb nano! I dont know about everyone else, but I love this idea and cant wait for it to come out. I needed an excuse to start running again...Im slowly falling out of shape.

You'd better start running before this comes out. You'll be long out of shape if you wait untill July to start running again.

While this is a nice idea (and I did vote positive), I think it will fall short of many people's expectations. I don't have much experiences with foot sensors, but I can't see how a $30 pod will match the preformance of many $100-200 pods. I love running with my GPS because it provides much more data (example) than the Nike software will.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Two small things:

When you go to buy an iPod Nano at the online store, the product name is iPodx.

Another thing, you can no longer view the iPod Nano ad featuring Rinôçérôse, at the Nano site click for the ad and it takes you to the new Wolfmother ad.

Freebart

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
accurate for the average slob?

louiek said:
I don't do very much running, maybe 10km per week, and I can't imagine that any stride calibration I make at the start of my run would have even a passing resemblance to my stride at the end of my run. I start quick, I finish slow. Are these things only accurate for a regular stride? I reckon my stride decreases by 50% over the length of my jog. Are these things accurate for the average slob?

I posted earlier that this looks like similar technology to what Polar is offering with their heart rate monitors. This flash demo attempts to show they've factored in for the different strides:

http://www.polar.fi/speed_distance/ (click on Measure Your Speed and Distance)

TheSailerMan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2006
New York, New York
Apple & Nike should definitely come up with a solution for cyclists. Maybe a handlebar speaker system instead of headphones?

I like this idea a lot, except for the fact that it was created for a specific line of sneakers and doesn't work on the 5th gen iPod (as far as we know). I hate to run, but there's a slight possibility that I will get this and start running (as long as this does work with the 5th gen).

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
buffalo said:
You'd better start running before this comes out. You'll be long out of shape if you wait untill July to start running again.

While this is a nice idea (and I did vote positive), I think it will fall short of many people's expectations. I don't have much experiences with foot sensors, but I can't see how a $30 pod will match the preformance of many $100-200 pods. I love running with my GPS because it provides much more data (example) than the Nike software will.
HAHA yes very true...I better get started soon.

dgaust

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Since the battery is sealed, is there any mention of it being recharged by kinetic energy?

That would be cool, otherwise it'll be $30 every time the battery dies.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
corywoolf said:
It's going to be WiFi.

I tried to read most of the posts but too many were complaining about Nike.

I find the WiFi factor to be very interesting. I thought more people would post about this since a wireless capable iPod has been on the "I want list" for quite some time.

I just wonder other things we could do wirelessly or will it be hampered?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
louden said:

That's, uh...gross? Now I can imagine your headphones quickly decomposing in contact with the dripping sweat, creating a pool of decayed white plastic... ;)

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Ridiculous...Nike don't even have anything about it on their website.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
:mad: Aaagh... I hate macromedia Flash sites.

I'm trying to find out what it measures and how accurate it is, but I have no luck. I hope they put out more info later on.

barstard

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
This is so-so. Not really exciting for me.

To weigh in on the other debate, factory labour can be bad or good in these countries, but what is the main problem, as has been touched upon, is that land that has been used by the locals for hundreds of years is sold off to these companies, even local companies, by the government.

This land can no longer be used by the locals, thereby the ability to make money for themselves is gone. Surely if more was paid to the adult workers, then the children would not need to work, and might be able to go to school, if one is available. Education is the real key to aiding a country to get on it's own two feet economically. Getting treated like crap only serves to anger and REDUCES productivity.

barstard.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
barstard said:
Surely if more was paid to the adult workers, then the children would not need to work, and might be able to go to school, if one is available. Education is the real key to aiding a country to get on it's own two feet economically.

Glad you said that. There has been too much garbage written in this thread so far about how paying children in foreign countires to make excessively premium priced plimpsoles is doing those kids a favour.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
sweatshoPod, anybody?

:( I'm disappointed with you, Apple. Parthner with companies who have a good reputation and products, not one which alienates your core market.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I'm much more excited about runner iPod shirts with cord management then the shoe sensor thing. I stopped using my iPod and arm band when I run because it's so frickin' cumbersome. I have to wear special shirts because the arm band rubs against my body and I get a scab so I don't even bother with it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.