Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Doesn't the phrase "communication with gym equipment" strike you as funny? But that's where we are, with devices that measure us as we work out. Maybe soon your sweatband will report your sweat level to your iPod Touch. In the next phase, we'll control our workout equipment from our iPhones. Just phone your left shoe and tell it to tighten its laces.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In the next phase, we'll control our workout equipment from our iPhones.

:p

Actually, though, for the Nike+ system, there's a real angle there. If the iPod could control a treadmill, Nike could sell an integrated workout package that contained a choreographed mix playlist / file with a "personal instructor" and automatically adjust treadmill parameters to match the workout. Ultimately, it could even be adaptive (it would be amazing if the Nike+ system had some training planner elements like the kind of system Flash Focus or other DS brain training games use) so that a set of music and trainer files on the iPod could be used to generate not just one workout but a system of workouts.

EDIT: PS, this is the first time I'd heard of the SportsBand. Not that I particularly want or need one, but I think it's a great idea for people who for whatever reason don't want a music player with them when they're running.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I agree that the iPhone seems too large and heavy to run with... But then I think back to my days of running with my 2G iPod. Talk about a brick.

And I guess this means I'll have to break down and buy a nice sweat-proof case for my iPhone. So many decisions to make...

Impulse29

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2004
Does anyone think that there is a correlation between how fast someone runs and how much their arms move? If so, wouldn't a simple app that uses the iPod touch/iPhone's accelerometer work too?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Does anyone think that there is a correlation between how fast someone runs and how much their arms move? If so, wouldn't a simple app that uses the iPod touch/iPhone's accelerometer work too?

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. You don't have to use the correlation of the arm and leg motions (which I'm sure is not strong enough to be reliable). If you have an iPhone mounted on your upper arm, once you ignore the envelope created by your arm swinging, your iPhone's translation through space matches your body's translation through space. So if you integrate the accelerometer output, you can get the speed and translation distance. But I would guess that these accelerometers are not so sensitive to small accelerations, and so the one in your shoe works well because it's at the end of a lever arm, and so has a much larger magnitude of linear acceleration than your shoulder would.

beppo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
u.s.a.
I wonder if they would incorporate some way of using the wifi antenna instead of the regular antenna

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
So, when do you guys think we will see this? First half of 2008, Second half of 2008, or 2009? Personally I'm hoping first half of 08 but I think it isn't coming until the second half. What do you think?

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
There is also another idea that I had, mabye the iPod touch and iPhone will not need to have the "reciver" and they could just do it through WiFi. Does anyone think that is possible?

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
I have planned to buy iPod Nano with Nike+ set in few months. Now I don't know what to do. I don't need Nano to anything else than for jogging and using it with Nike+ set. I could have much more usage for iPod Touch, so it would make sense to buy it and hope that the Nike+ set for it will be available soon. But then again, Nano is easier to carry and it's cheaper so I don't need to handle it with so much care...

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Okay i bve been looking around and apple's website claims that nike+ipod only works on 2nd gen and up... but then on ebay many sellers are saying it works on 1gen, i trust apple a "bit" more on this one, but just wnated to make sure with you guys..edit: weird, the U.S site says it works with all 3g of nanos, but the canadian says it only works with 2nd and 3rd? are they somehow different? i doubt it...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
weird, the U.S site says it works with all 3g of nanos, but the canadian says it only works with 2nd and 3rd? are they somehow different? i doubt it...

I can confirm... I know people who use the 1st gen Nano on the Nike+ system. It has always supported all Nanos in the US. I can't imagine any reason it'd be different in Canada (unless the gen 1 Nano was for some reason not officially sold there?). I do remember however that in the past, some of these compatibility charts have been wrong on other Apple international sites before, though.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
This better be true!

This had better not be some cruel joke. I have been wishing for this ever since I gave my old nano to my brother. It is the one thing I have been missing.

roncordell

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Great Addition to iPhone - but what sports armband to use?

I've always wanted to try the Nike+ system but had either a iPod Mini or iPhone and didn't want to shell out for a Nano at the time. But what is a good sports band or armband to use with the iPhone? I've tried the Belkin sports arm band and the metal strap buckle broke after using it 3 or 4 times, so it's pretty poorly made for a ridiculous price. Is there anything else out there for the iPhone for running?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
So, when do you guys think we will see this? First half of 2008, Second half of 2008, or 2009? Personally I'm hoping first half of 08 but I think it isn't coming until the second half. What do you think?

i think it'll come in late June / July, or basically after the iPhone 2.0 software update

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
can someone take a look at this.... and when i try to order it, it tries to charge me 6 dollars more for shipping, not that I am cheap or naything, but doens t free shipping mean free shipping? i called up apple an dthe lady told me that i have to qualify to get free shipping on it...(over 75 bucks spent) this is on teh canadian store by tehw ay you can check it out yourself...

Attachments

• Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 82

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
it made me confuse ... will it still be only for running or for workout itself too

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
The Ultimate Workout Companion

To heck with the current limited Nike+ system!

To make the iPhone/iPod Touch the ultimate workout companion, Apple should implement the Digital Fitness Companion System to be integrated with a Heart Rate Monitor(HRM) and pedometer which both transmit over WiFi, eliminating the need for a separate dongle, and capped with the A2DP Bluetooth Profile for listening to music on a pair of Apple-designed bluetooth stereo headphones.

Speaking of HRM transmission, I wonder what technology most current HRMs use to transmit data...

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
can someone take a look at this.... and when i try to order it, it tries to charge me 6 dollars more for shipping, not that I am cheap or naything, but doens t free shipping mean free shipping? i called up apple an dthe lady told me that i have to qualify to get free shipping on it...(over 75 bucks spent) this is on teh canadian store by tehw ay you can check it out yourself...

Thats weird, it says free shipping but makes you pay anyway?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yes, and i called and they said how i didn t qualify because i needed to spend at least 75 CAD, so i just drove down the street to a "running room" store and bought one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.