Nike edition vs sport vs SS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maflynn, Jan 22, 2017.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm kicking around the idea of selling my Series 0 and upgrading to a series 2. Reasons being that I could take more advantage of the water proofing, the battery seems better and I'd definitely will take advantage of the GPS, being an avid runner.

With that said, I've searched through the forums and many people seem unexcited by the Nike edition. It has the band that seems to help sweat when working out and from my limited research its better then then knock offs you find on ebay. The complications and Nike apps seems like a nice touch as well. Overall however in contrast to the early excitement to this model, opinions and perspectives seemed to cool on this model

From reading through this forum, however, I see many people advocating the purchase of the Stainless Steel model, because of the durability of the sapphire vs. Gorilla Glass. I will say my 1.5 year old (or there abouts) sports model has no scratches on the glass or sides. It looks as good as the day I bought it. I have whacked it on doors, corners and other things and so far its been holding up. I'm not trying to whack but I guess I'm a little clumsy :eek:

tl;dr: Opinions of the Nike watch vs the other models.

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I must confess I don't own a Nike watch, and am often a little annoyed by people who wax lyrical about certain products only to admit they've never used them, but will leave my two pennies worth anyway...

I don't really see a downside to the Nike+ watch if you're in the market for a silver or grey aluminium watch. It comes with a few exclusive faces, a different colour option on the regular faces, and the exclusive band, whilst still being the same price. Even if you didn't like the band, it seems like it can be sold for more than the price of a regular Sport Band due to its rarity, so if the worst comes to the worst you could just sell it and buy a new band of your choice.

Comparing the aluminium models to the SS is a little bit of a different ball game, the differences are quite a bit greater (but so is the price) and I think maybe seek the opinion of someone who went from a Sport to a SS S2 (or vice versa). Like you, I've had no problems with my original Sport model - the body and screen are still flawless, despite the occasional knock, so if I were to change my watch I'd have no qualms about choosing the aluminium one again!

3. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Regarding the eBay knockoff bands - I have purchased a few and to be honest while they are not as "nice" as the original Apple bands (Apple band is more dense) I can say that the knockoff bands are not any worse than the silicone bands you get on a Garmin watch. My Garmin 235 silicone band is in my opinion not as nice as the knockoff Apple Watch Nike silicon band I purchased on eBay.

As a runner, in my opinion, the Nike/Garmin style band with the holes for ventilation is a huge improvement over the basic Apple band for breathability purposes.

4. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

One benefit of the aluminum version, for long distance runners at least, might be the weight difference between it and the SS version.

I don't really notice the weight of my SS version but I do not run much further than 4 or 5 miles... My main activity is cycling and for that, you'd never notice the weight difference..

I also swim but again, no serious distance so I can compare how the weight difference would equate..

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Some have said they noticed the weight of the stainless steel when first starting running with it. But then after using it for a while during running, I think you adjust to the weight and you won't notice it as much as you did the first time.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

In the end, it depends if you want to nike bands or not. I got tired of waiting for the Nike ones to be in stock so I got a sports S2 (and that's already hard enough to find).

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess in the end, you're only getting a new watch band and some exclusive watch faces. I read somewhere that theirs some sort of tighter integration of the Nike run app, not sure what that means exactly. The watch faces look interesting to make like a little easier when running but nothing really major.

Given that the price is the same, I seem to get a little extra with the Nike edition, so I think I may opt for the Nike +. If anything I could sell the watchband for over a 100 dollars. :eek:

I was looking at nike bands on ebay and was shocked to see how much those were going for.

I cannot justify the SS, similar to my logic when I first bought the series 0, I'm not convinced the price increase is worth it. YMMV and of course others feel differently, which is their right, but for me, the ALU version seems like a good fit.

Now comes down to whether I want to spend the money at all

8. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

The bands will go down, hell
    You can buy an Apple Watch 1st Gen BNIB with nice band for insanely low prices (saw a 38mm Space Black with Milanese Loop for $230, $30 more than Apple wants just for the band)

Also, not sure how you kept your Sport face pristine, I didn't baby my Sport, nor did I throw it on the floor, but that thing has hella scratches
    Thank goodness I got a SS

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Got my aluminum SG on launch day. I don't baby it - as a matter of fact I bang it consistently when getting clothes out of the dryer. But just like @maflynn - not a scratch on it.

My daughter has also been contemplating getting the Nike edition, but decided that the band was really the only thing that would make it different for her (since she does her running on a treadmill). She's also quite fallen in love with the Milanese loop.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a knock off milanese loop, and I don't use it as much as I thought I would. Its ok, and it's nice for working out, except the magnet needs to be adjusted from time to time. Don't get me wrong, it definitely looks nice and when I go out with the wife on a special occasion I make sure I have that.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Same here. I actually have 3 of them. But I pretty much only wear them when I'm dressing up to go out.

12. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I agree with your option for Nike + if I were into aluminum Apple Watch, I would definitely have picked Nike +
    You are correct about OEM Nike + band price on eBay around 100. I bought the only original Nike + band on eBay around 100 and it was worth it and looks good with my SBSS in addition to original SB link bracelet.

13. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

What did you pay for your Link Bracelet? Just curious

Also, why did you pay $100 for the band, probably could've waited a month and bought it for $60, I know it's not a lot, but prices drop fast for Apple Watch stuff

14. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

SBSS link bracelet price original from Apple and I would try not to buy knock off of any merchandise as they are usually lower quality and do not feel the same as original. What meant on my post I bought Nike + band only from EBay.

15. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Should've also bought the Link Bracelet from eBay, got a brand new Case and Link Bracelet for $350, was in Apple shipping box, and product had plastic seal

I love this watch! such an upgrade over my Sport, maybe if I had the Space Gray or didn't lose my Apple Milanese loop, I wouldn't have been so apathetic

16. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Best Buy had also a brand new Case and Link Bracelet for $366 was in Apple shipping box during Black Friday.

17. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Still do! 42mm Space Black with Link Bracelet for $399 + brand new:D
    Available online

18. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the info. I already got it so all readers who are reading the forum can benefit from your info.

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Wish I could buy it, little too high for me
    Great price compared to all the other models, even if it is 1st Gen

Anyone who buys a Link Bracelet from Apple is an idiot (unless it was when they were first released or scarce)

20. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Agree for the "idiot" comment. Best Buy is the place to get good price for new link bracelet from series 0 without using the series 0 watch itself as I am using series 2 but the link from previous series.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Is there anyway to get the band replaced, do they sell them. My friend broke his Nike band while running and would like to replace it.

22. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Going to do the same
    Waiting for Series 3, and also because my budget could support me buying 2 expensive watch models at once

23. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Go to eBay. Apple does not sell the original Nike + band.

24. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Yes, contact Apple Support via chat, if the 1st person doesn't replace it ask for manager
    works 99%

talk about how you love watch, just bought it, and how upset you are

just don't have a piss poor attitude

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Thanks. He was jumping over a fence and the band go caught and tore it from his arm leaving his watch still without a scratch. I have loaned him one of my unused sport bands.

Thanks for the info.