Nike+ & iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maxington, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

Did the mention if support for Nike+ was coming to the iPhone?

2. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

No word, hoping 2.1 will incorporate it.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

On the iPod touch, it is a hardware upgrade, but hopefully they added the ability to use the Nike+ receiver on the iPhone, but nothing specific was mentioned.

TEG

4. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

unless the hardware is already "hidden " in the iPhone 3Gs, (which I say, no way)

then NO, there will not be a Nike addition to iPhone 2.1

5. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

For the iPhone 3G you won't need the foot pod. Just tap into the GPS and go. For first gens, they'll have to make the software allow the use of the foot pod with their dongle thingy.

Hehehe....I said "Dongle Thingy".

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

:confused:

7. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

8. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Maybe an Nike+ app will just be made for the iPhone that uses the GPS.

Maybe thats the "secret" Nike+ hardware?

snverhallen

9. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Okay.....Nike + for the touch and Nano's requires a the Nike+ shoe, and a foot pod that goes in the sole. You take out the cushion, and there's a hole that's filled with a plug. you take out that plug and put in the foot pod. It's a separate piece of hardware. the touches will still require this since they don't have GPS. the nanos have to plug a receiver dongle intot the bottom to receive and translate the signal. The new touches apparently have it built in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The iPhone 3Gs will not need this foot pod. It comes with GPS. It knows speed and distance from that. You could add in backwards compatibility to first gen iPhones by allowing them to use the existing Nike+ dongle that the nanos use to receive the foot pod signal.

10. FJR macrumors regular

At this point, I'd perfectly fine with a nano-style add on to get Nike+ on an old school iPhone. And it seems like Nike/Apple could make a shoe insert that can communicate with the iPhone via the cell connection.

I really don't see using GPS actually working for those who run for a couple of hours or more, unless they have made super leaps in GPS battery life. As is, you'd have to fully charge it before and after a run.

11. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

From the Nike+ Page:

Only with the new iPod Touch 2nd Gen. That totally sucks.

12. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I run for over 2 hours every sunday, with my iPhone having GPS on, and I've never run out of battery. I have music playing and usually the map displayed...Sure it's not recording, but that's why I have a garmin 305.

13. TedB macrumors member

Apple updated the Nike + iPod Sport Kit page in the store, http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA365LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA3NA&mco=MTMwNzgzMA , and under the list of compatible iPods, the iPhone is NOT listed.

So it looks like even with the dongle, the iPhone software will NOT support the iPod Nano Dongle.

14. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seemingly the Nike+ adapter used 2.4GHz(citation req) to communicate and since iPhone already has this.... shouldnt be a problem!

I really want the shake and shuffle on my iPhone!

15. ViPa macrumors 6502a

if nike+ was run off of the gps, then what about when your on a treadmill:confused:

16. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

#1 rule of running: treadmills SUCK!

17. FJR macrumors regular

haven't even thought about that.

I really don't see Nike+ going to pure GPS though. At the very least, I think it would be an option.

18. ViPa macrumors 6502a

yeah yeah, but sometimes its the only option..like during winter time

i agree, im not sure if the location services on the iphone are good enough to give you an accurate reading

19. FJR macrumors regular

I generally agree, but they're easier on your knees and sometimes, if I have been training hard, I'd do a few days a week on the treadmill, just to save the wear and tear.

20. i0Nic macrumors 65816

What the hell, first the headphones and now nike+ not on the iPhone either? #$$@# pissed off.

21. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

The read me confirms Nike+ does NOT work with the iphone

22. ravikc Guest

wtf

this suckssss

how can they not have it on the iphone

23. eme jota ce macrumors regular

The Apple website describes the software update for the iPod Touch that provides (in part) the Nike+ functionality as the iPhone software update

iPod touch gets better with the App Store, Genius, and other new features. All for just $9.95​

If the hardware does not exist within the iPhone, is there anything physically incompatible with using the existing Nike+ dongle in an iPhone?

It seems that Nike would want to have a shot at selling dongles, shoe inserts, shoes, armbands, and other gear to the millions who just bought 3G iPhones.

24. miraage macrumors newbie

this is ridiculous. i don't want to buy another device for running with!

25. ViPa macrumors 6502a