Nike+ on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Buckit, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Buckit macrumors member

I haven't had the time to figure this out on my own yet... so if know one knows for fact then I will post again with my results.

I know the iPhone 3GS isn't Multitasking (Duh). So what happens when you are in the middle of a run and the phone rings? will the Nike+ application pause your workout until the phone call is over?

I definitly dont plan on taking phone calls when running, But was just curious if anyone knew how this worked.

I searched this forum and Google... none of the articles addressed this at all. One article mentioned that you can take calls but it didnt say what happens with the workout data.

anyway... I'll stop rambling... was just curious if anyone actually knew or have had a chance to play with it

*********************UPDATE***********************
    I finally had a chance to play around with this.

If a call comes in and you let it go to voice mail or end the call then your workout continues and keeps on going uninterrupted.

If you answer the phone then the workout automatically pauses. when you end the call you are returned immediately to the Nike+ app and can press the resume button to continue your workout.

If you get a call... stop running and answer, letting it auto pause the workout, or ignore and keep going.

This is actually pretty nice. I can rarely carry on a conversation when running, so taking a call would actually hurt my pace and overall workout. This means that I can keep the phone functions turned on and be able to monitor calls as I am running; Ignoring the calls that seem unimportant and taking only the calls I feel are worth stopping for.

While I find this beneficial as a runner, Walkers may have different feelings on it. I know other walkers who like to catch up with friends and family while walking, using Nike+ on the iPhone 3G S prohibits that.

I'm thinking it will pause only if you answer?

2. alansaysstop macrumors regular

here's my question, does it use GPS or do you need the little thing you put in your shoes? I really dig the imapmyride app but if this one uses GPS and is better, I'll probably switch to this.

3. Buckit thread starter macrumors member

it uses the shoe sensor. I doubt it will do GPS... nike is talking about updating to GPS SHOES! for the future... sounds stupid to me.

I guess Nike needs a way to force people into their shoes and if the sensor isnt needed anymore then how will they do that?

oh well... time will tell.

I may just put the phone into airplane mode while running. watch, that probably disables the nike+ chip! LOL

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've used nike+ for 2 years and never in nike shoes. Get a little velcro pouch for your shoe laces!

Do wish the 3GS version supported GPS. Seems kind of silly to require an add-on that's less accurate than what's built in to the phone.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Since it comes pre-installed, I wonder if it's allowed to run as a background app?

6. Axl Rose macrumors regular

probably the case

7. shanew21 macrumors regular

It does run as a background app

8. Buckit thread starter macrumors member

I finally had a chance to play around with this.

If a call comes in and you let it go to voice mail or end the call then your workout continues and keeps on going uninterrupted.

If you answer the phone then the workout automatically pauses. when you end the call you are returned immediately to the Nike+ app and can press the resume button to continue your workout.

If you get a call... stop running and answer, letting it auto pause the workout, or ignore and keep going.

This is actually pretty nice. I can rarely carry on a conversation when running, so taking a call would actually hurt my pace and overall workout. This means that I can keep the phone functions turned on and be able to monitor calls as I am running; Ignoring the calls that seem unimportant and taking only the calls I feel are worth stopping for.

While I find this beneficial as a runner, Walkers may have different feelings on it. I know other walkers who like to catch up with friends and family while walking, using Nike+ on the iPhone 3G S prohibits that.

9. mRtoadzwildride macrumors newbie

Ahaa

Okay, First post...... here goes.

Switcheasy solved this problem.

[​IMG]

It's called the Switcheasy Runaway. I'm thinking about ordering one, since nike shoes are CRAP.

-Toad-

10. Buckit thread starter macrumors member

I have used Nike+ ever since it came out. I was just pointing out that requiring the sensor gives people an incentive to use the shoes as the sensor conveniently goes right inside the sole. If Nike+ started using device embedded GPS then they wouldn't have any leverage at all for people to use Nike shoes instead of something else.

I believe thats why Nike has been reported to possibly putting GPS in the shoes. They are also working on sensors embedded in the soles to measure wear and tear so you know when you need to buy new shoes.

See this post from AppleInsider: http://www.appleinsider.com/print/0...xt_gen_nike_system_with_gps_wear_sensors.html

I wish someone would finally come out with a system that provides a good marriage between the Nike+ system and the other GPS systems such as MapMyRun.com. Map My Run has the better back-end and benefit of GPS, but the Nike+ has the better device software and the benefit of being used indoors.

11. arykmax macrumors regular

"While I find this beneficial as a runner, Walkers may have different feelings on it. I know other walkers who like to catch up with friends and family while walking, using Nike+ on the iPhone 3G S prohibits that."

I am a walker and this would bother me. Not that I'm always talking on the phone but it's nice to be able to without stopping. I wear the wristband right now but carry my 3g for my walking playlist. Is there an option that will make it continue to record during the call since it does run in the background?

12. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Do I need to buy the sensor for my shoes and the connecting piece to the phone or just the sensor?

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Here is a review I did for it last week for my newspaper.

If you get a call and it goes to voicemail, the run doesn't stop. If you take or make a call, the run is paused and needs to be restarted from the app.

You do need the sensor.

14. dmb499 macrumors regular

Just the sensor on the 3gs. I used it last night for the first time and I really enjoyed it. Love how it syncs everything to nikeplus.com

15. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Curious to know what your using as far as the armband goes. I found a thread on the accesories page and posted the following:

"After researching this intensly for a few days I went with this one....

http://www.amazon.com/SPORT-ARMBAND-...6462841&sr=8-1

Main reasons were:
    1.Almost all the other armbands I came across had awful reviews, this one for the most part had great reviews.
    2.It was only a few bucks so for the price I figured if it didnt work out I could just toss it and go back to searching.

I must say I am pretty impressed with it. Fits fine, feels fine. Only issue I am running into, which I am pretty concerned about it that when I go on my longer runs (7, 8 miles) I sweat so much that it completly sokes the case and it goes through it to the back of the iPhone a little. I am trying to come up with a way to fix this. I was thinking about maybe getting an armband and putting it around my bicep and then putting the phone on or possibly go with a plastic bag then putting the iphone into the case. Not sure if the plastic bag thing would work or not but I def want to figure this out/ or get a better case. "

As you can see while I do have an armband that works I am still on the look out for a better one.

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

As I said in my review, I bought a DLO pouch that just Velcros to shoelaces. For walking, the Nike+ is pretty inconsistent. I've done a ton of calibrating but it still undervalues distance. I even did a mile on a track so it was an exact distance and Nike+ recorded it as .6 miles.

17. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Hi Everybody.

One of the reasons that I went ahead and got the 3GS (I had the 3G) is because of the built in Nike +.

I have to say I really like it. I am a walker, I do six miles of trails every other day, and I have found this to be really motivating!!

Not to mention I would be carrying my phone with me anyway, so why not put it to work?

The app does run in the background for ALL things EXCEPT talking on the phone--then it pauses. (which is good, because I need to get off the phone and have some "me" time.)

I have Nike+ shoes NOW, but using the switcheasy pouch poses no problems for me in the future.

Love it.

18. lankox macrumors regular

I was all set to buy a nike+ sensor until I read about GPS workout programs. I tried Runkeeper and love it. Very accurate, can use it for biking, etc, cheaper than Nike+. The only downside is if you are on a treadmill or in a location that blocks GPS signal.

19. dmb499 macrumors regular

i got the incase sports armband...didn't get it in the mail yet though.

20. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

ive used trailguru for my past few runs and really like it. you can post your runs to their site for viewing later on. but when the new nike+ sportsband comes out im getting it. i really like the social aspect of the nike+ site. and since i dont have a 3gs or nano (just a measly 3g and 5g ipod) and i cant see buying another ipod, the sportsband seems like a good idea. not to mention the 09 ones are coming out soon and have fixed some problems the first ones had.

21. jwflutterby macrumors regular

22. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

The sensor is the best way for us to get suckered into their shoes. I was a trainer at 24 hr fit whom is paired up with Nike. Nike will tell you all day long " you cant use a velcro pouch" which in fact you can. The more snug it is to your shoe. the more accurate results you will get. I got a neoprene pouch and tuck the pouch between the tongue of my shoe and shoelaces so it does not move.

Also the longer the distance you use to calibrate it, the more accurate it will be.

The ONLY piece you need if you have a 3GS is the sonsor. If you do not have Nike's shoes with the little slot in the sole, a velcro pouch will be very beneficial

I want to find where to feedback to the Nike app. I think the need to incorporate a "calls go straight to VM" button that can be activated or deactivated.

Also enable disable a-gps. reasoning for having the choice is for those on longer runs may just want to use the sensor to dave battery life.

I noticed after my first run it said I could use the run to calibrate. How does it calibrate if it already has the distance and time? Does it let me edit these?

23. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i would be totally into this if i didnt need to carry my iphone with me. that is impossible for me to do. or maybe you dont need to bring it...i dont even know.

are you people casually running or something?

when i run, i am so soaked...there is no way i want my phone anywhere near my body.

i have (had) a shuffle. and it fell victim to the sweat (i am thinking)...i can only imagine if i had my phone.... so for me nike + seems nice ...its just not practical for my routine.

24. scottuf macrumors 6502

quick question - with the 3gs having the nike+ built-in, all i need to buy is the sensor, correct? no need to buy the full kit, unless i need the receiver for another ipod, right?

25. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Just the sensor.

If you get a small hip bag, throw the phone in there with a plastic baggie covering it. Virtually waterproof. Even more so with bluetooth headphones.