Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricAmsterdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I've just got my new Apple Watch series 2 Nike+ last Friday and used it for running. Used the Nike+ Run Club app (and not the Apple Workout app). Did run without iPhone, so used Apple Watch GPS.
But.... when I go the activities in my Nike Run Club app (new version) no map of my route is showed....
Does anyone do see a map?

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I've just got my new Apple Watch series 2 Nike+ last Friday and used it for running. Used the Nike+ Run Club app (and not the Apple Workout app). Did run without iPhone, so used Apple Watch GPS.
But.... when I go the activities in my Nike Run Club app (new version) no map of my route is showed....

I've run 6 times with the Nike app and 1 time the map didn't come through so I can understand how frustrating that is. I would advise (assuming you're on WatchOS 3.1 and iOS 10.1) that you let the Nike app take it's time syncing, as it seems to be ever so slightly delicate. Meaning that if you interrupt the sync, you could lose the mapping info. Just my observations.

Reactions: ZebraDude

EricAmsterdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I did a run this afternoon and the map did show up this time.
But only in Nike app, and not in Apple Activity app.......

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Good that it now shows.

Note, if running with Nike+ app, at present the map will only show in the Nike+ app. Everything seems to be ring-fenced unfortunately. I did manage to get the map exported to Strava, using RunGap, but that's a paid-for option.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015

The only time a map will show in the Apple Activity/Workout app is when you actually use the Workout app on the watch. The GPS data is stored within the Workout app itself and not Apple Health. That is the reason why you can't export the GPS data from the Workout app to Strava, Garmin Connect, etc. It is also why other apps like Nike Run Club cannot write GPS data to the Workout app.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
A few observations with Nike Run Club for AW2.

I have a SS AW2 not a Nike version, so results may vary.

If I run with my watch only, then sync to the app, I get no Nike Fuel, Splits, or Elevation
If I run with both and START a run with my watch, I get no Nike Fuel, Splits, or Elevation
If I run with both and START on the PHONE, I get EVERYTHING.

Just noticing the inconsistencies there. I don't expect elevation with the watch only, but the splits and fuel should be there.

Hoping this info is helpful and I think it'll be cleaned up in future updates.

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne

If I run with my watch only, then sync to the app, I get no Nike Fuel, Splits, or Elevation
If I run with both and START a run with my watch, I get no Nike Fuel, Splits, or Elevation

Just noticing the inconsistencies there. I don't expect elevation with the watch only, but the splits and fuel should be there.

As posted in another thread, when I sync to Strava via Rungap, I do get elevation, even if only running with the watch and leaving the phone behind.

travelling_w/iOS

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Abu Dhabi

I have found the same too. The heart rate isn't showing up for me in the NRC+ app, but is when you look at it in the Activity app.

It's becoming increasingly frustrating to use the app, and I am ready to ditch it.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
I have found the same too. The heart rate isn't showing up for me in the NRC+ app, but is when you look at it in the Activity app.

It's becoming increasingly frustrating to use the app, and I am ready to ditch it.

Heart Rate is in the upper left hand corner of the watch screen. You need to have the "Advanced" settings turned on on the watch.

The Heart Rate value is microscopic, so you will have to strain your eyes to see it. Not sure why they are trying to hide it.

Other than that complaint, I am really liking the NRC app. Have had no issues with it on five runs.

Last edited:

travelling_w/iOS

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Abu Dhabi
Heart Rate is in the upper left hand corner of the watch screen. You need to have the "Advanced" settings turned on on the watch.

The Heart Rate value is microscopic, so you will have to strain your eyes to see it. Not sure why they are trying to hide it.

Other than that complaint, I am really liking the NRC app. Have had no issues with it on five runs.
My point was that this info was not being passed through to the app, yet it was in the previous version.

I don't focus on the bpm whilst in the run, but it's good to go over it post-run. Bizarrely, this info is available to see in the activity app, but only the average bpm.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
My point was that this info was not being passed through to the app, yet it was in the previous version.

OK. It does show for me in the NRC app post run (red line) and gets exported to Strava using RunGap:

IMG_1089[1].PNG

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
And this is what I get. No heart rate info

Are you running with the phone, or standalone with Series 2 AW? I am assuming with the phone since you are getting elevation data.

There is a setting in the app to turn on HR if running with the phone. I have it off since I don't run with my phone and it is on by default on the watch.

IMG_1090[1].PNG

norge

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Anyone who has success with the NRC App, Apple Watch without phone and an Bluetooth HR Strap? For me in this combination the App shows -- for the HR

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
Anyone who has success with the NRC App, Apple Watch without phone and an Bluetooth HR Strap? For me in this combination the App shows -- for the HR

I have the same thing. After NRC syncs with Activity the HR shows up in there. Not 100%sure it is from the HR strap and not the watch though.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014

I'm getting the same thing. Ran with a bluetooth strap today paired to the watch and the HR never showed up on the NRC app

travelling_w/iOS

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Abu Dhabi
Just want to bump this to see what equipment people are using?

I've just got some Jabra Pulse headphones that measure HR, but still doesn't show in NRC or activity now

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I just got the Polar H7 Strap (bluetooth). I've done two runs with it.

The first was an outdoor run. The polar was linked to my iphone. Started the run on the watch. HR did not show up on the watch during the run because I didn't have the Advanced switch in the right position. After the run and sync to the Nike servers, the HR information showed up on the phone app. During the run, I did notice that the watch's HR sensor was active. I checked the data on the phone and it recorded data from both the strap and the watch. The values were consistent with each other.

The second run was on an indoor track (1/16 mile). This time, I had the Polar synced to the watch. I started the run on the NRC watch app, but the HR never showed up on the screen, even though the Advanced button was correct. I know the Polar was properly connected to the watch because I did an elliptical workout right before the run and it worked like it should have.

I was trying to figure out why the HR didn't record on the indoor run.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Map and HR showing in NRC here with no problem, running outdoors with AW2 Nike edition, watch left behind.

No elevation shown, but not an issue; uploaded to Garmin Connect or Strava via RunGap app and those sites calculate elevation based on USGS maps -- just as I've had them do for every other run using watches that did record the elevation.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
OK, so I have seen both sides of this - I actually came to the thread again because I had looked yesterday and saw fewer than half my runs since getting the Nike+ watch had maps available. But as I was opening the thread I also opened up NRC app on my phone ... and suddenly I have everything in terms of maps.

Then as I just looked I didn't have HR for this morning's run, but I realized it still said 'sync pending', so I backed out, looked at yesterday's and then tried again with today - and everything (except elevation and Nike Fuel, of course) is there.

Definitely not the greatest overall experience. When I start training for my 2017 marathon and ultra I will definitely need to switch back to my Garmin.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
... unless of course the NRC software improves and/or Strava's standalone app comes out and is good.

Definitely don't buy today for what might come in the future, but for those who otherwise have an AW2 and for whom the current apps aren't sufficient, do check back.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I'm not happy with the state of the running apps. NRC does not give me average pace/mile and I still can't figure out how to get it to show HR data on the screen while wearing a chest strap. The built in workout app seems to work a little better, but the average pace seems to be the average for the whole run and not per mile which doesn't really help me much, unless I'm just not doing something right. Fortunately, I have a garmin 910xt that I still use and will wear 2 watches until these apps improve.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm not happy with the state of the running apps. NRC does not give me average pace/mile and I still can't figure out how to get it to show HR data on the screen while wearing a chest strap. The built in workout app seems to work a little better, but the average pace seems to be the average for the whole run and not per mile which doesn't really help me much, unless I'm just not doing something right. Fortunately, I have a garmin 910xt that I still use and will wear 2 watches until these apps improve.
Is your chest strap linked to your iphone or watch? I've only had success when the strap was linked to the watch.

Make sure you have the "Advanced" button turn on in the NRC app on the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.